Please Help, Desperate For Muscle Twitching Relief

J

JohnBonham

I've been plagued by muscle twitching for the last 2 or 3 years. It's constant, everywhere on the body. Both eyelids twitch occasionally, sometimes at the same time. Especially when I'm tired. Massive fatigue, I can never sleep, hair loss, dry and peeling lips every single day. Keratosis Pilaris that never responded to Vitamin A or zinc.

If you've read a few of my posts I thought I found relief by trying different things before, but I was wrong. I have absolutely appreciated everyones willingness to help me out, though. So much. I'm almost at the end of my rope, but still trying to find humor in my misery. What's not hilarious about a nice young man who had all the potential in the world who's life has been completely turned upside down by an avalanche of health problems?

It's not magnesium, calcium, potassium, or any mineral for that matter. It's not vitamin E or any of the fat solubles. I get plenty of protein/gelatin. Neurological exam at the doctor was fine. No loss of muscle strength. No coordination issues. I can still drum like a goshdarn mamajama.

Coffee makes twitching in eyes much, much worse and makes me feel terrible in general. Potassium (supplements) make twitching worse for some reason. The doc said I have "silent reflux" which explains the burning throat in the morning. And for the past few days I've have constant burning in the stomach along with the horrendous twitching, fatigue, insomnia, etc.

Could it be too much serotonin? Or cortisol? B12 deficiency? Please, if ANYONE has ANY help for me, I'll be so grateful.

blob69

When did the issues start? Was it connected to a significant life event or anything else that you can recall?

Have you ever tried thyroid? How are your pulse and temperature?

moss

The doc said I have "silent reflux" which explains the burning throat in the morning. And for the past few days I've have constant burning in the stomach

Hi John, I haven't read all your posts and so you may have already considered this.
Gastric and oesohagus reflux may and note may be the sphincter locking off at the oesophagus, a hernia can do that and push the stomach out of position. Presumably the Dr would have considered that, or not?

I can still drum like a goshdarn mamajama.
I am assuming you mean you are a drummer, twitching could be postural/nerve compression somewhere?
And worth considering the other thoughts blob69 raised.

tara

I'm afraid I haven't reread all your posts, so this might be repeats, but have you tried plenty of sunshine or red light and any CO2 raising techniques? Gentle walk outside with mouth shut?

If you've tried many of Peat's ideas to no success so far, you could try measuring your UpH - ideally averages 6.3-6.7. If it's way higher or lower, that could throw things out, and may suggest which way to move? It's more of an RBTI idea, but Peat agreed with Reams about optimal UpH.

Diokine

Definitely check thyroid status! High reverse T3? Try drinking tonic water (quinine) to see if it helps with any of the symptoms. What is your control pause duration?
_________
  • Sit straight without crossing your legs and breathe comfortably and steady.
  • After an exhalation pinch your nose (optional).
  • Hold your breath and start stopwatch.
  • When you feel a slight discomfort resume your breathing and note the time.
Interval of time in seconds, you have just measured is called "control pause". It reflects the tolerance of your body to carbon dioxide. If your breathing exceeds the metabolic requirements of your body resulting in chronic depleted carbon dioxide levels, you are 'used' to low levels of carbon dioxide and, as a result, have low tolerance to carbon dioxide and your control pause is shorter.

buteyko_chart.jpg

Gl;itch.e

It's not magnesium, calcium, potassium, or any mineral for that matter. It's not vitamin E or any of the fat solubles. I get plenty of protein/gelatin. Neurological exam at the doctor was fine. No loss of muscle strength. No coordination issues. I can still drum like a goshdarn mamajama.
How sure are you of this? How much sodium/salt have you tried?

OP
J

JohnBonham

When did the issues start? Was it connected to a significant life event or anything else that you can recall?

Have you ever tried thyroid? How are your pulse and temperature?

Not that I can recall, though my life is usually all over the place, that's pretty par for the course! It started sometime in between music school in Boston and moving to Los Angeles, but I don't think it was connected to either of them. LA can for sure drag a guy down, though! I remember having pretty severe anxiety during my time in Boston but Magnesium virtually cured all of it.

I had my thyroid levels tested (t3, t4, ft3, ft4, TSH, reverse t3) and everything was great. I'm usually warm and my pulse is a little fast, it speeds up when I inhale. I have always wondered what "supplementing thyroid" means. I hear it so much on these forums. Do you mean taking something like cytomel? And thank's for the input!

OP
J

JohnBonham

Hi John, I haven't read all your posts and so you may have already considered this.
Gastric and oesohagus reflux may and note may be the sphincter locking off at the oesophagus, a hernia can do that and push the stomach out of position. Presumably the Dr would have considered that, or not?

I did have a hernia when I was very young, but the doctor didn't think that was an issue.

I am assuming you mean you are a drummer, twitching could be postural/nerve compression somewhere?
And worth considering the other thoughts blob69 raised.

That's definitely a thought! Though I tend to think the twitching is due to something else. It always gets worse when I get tired or fatigued and it happens all over the body.

tara

I had my thyroid levels tested (t3, t4, ft3, ft4, TSH, reverse t3) and everything was great.
Have you posted the numbers somewhere? Interpretations here often differ from drs.

OP
J

JohnBonham

Definitely check thyroid status! High reverse T3? Try drinking tonic water (quinine) to see if it helps with any of the symptoms. What is your control pause duration?
_________
  • Sit straight without crossing your legs and breathe comfortably and steady.
  • After an exhalation pinch your nose (optional).
  • Hold your breath and start stopwatch.
  • When you feel a slight discomfort resume your breathing and note the time.
Interval of time in seconds, you have just measured is called "control pause". It reflects the tolerance of your body to carbon dioxide. If your breathing exceeds the metabolic requirements of your body resulting in chronic depleted carbon dioxide levels, you are 'used' to low levels of carbon dioxide and, as a result, have low tolerance to carbon dioxide and your control pause is shorter.

buteyko_chart.jpg

I did get my thyroid checked (t3,t4,ft3,ft4,TSH, and reverse t3) and everything was great. I have tried baking soda and bag breathing, and I'm a shallow breather to begin with. But I'll try the tonic water and the control pause. Thanks, friend!

OP
J

JohnBonham

I'm afraid I haven't reread all your posts, so this might be repeats, but have you tried plenty of sunshine or red light and any CO2 raising techniques? Gentle walk outside with mouth shut?

If you've tried many of Peat's ideas to no success so far, you could try measuring your UpH - ideally averages 6.3-6.7. If it's way higher or lower, that could throw things out, and may suggest which way to move? It's more of an RBTI idea, but Peat agreed with Reams about optimal UpH.

I got my vitamin D tested and it was at 37 ng/ml. I understand that's pretty low? Not sure what Peat's standards are. I just ordered a Sperti Vitamin D lamp and it comes in tomorrow, I'd much rather get my Vitamin D from light than supplements and I'm so excited to try it out!

As for your second paragraph I'm afraid I have no idea what any of that is haha! :)

honeybee

I've been plagued by muscle twitching for the last 2 or 3 years. It's constant, everywhere on the body. Both eyelids twitch occasionally, sometimes at the same time. Especially when I'm tired. Massive fatigue, I can never sleep, hair loss, dry and peeling lips every single day. Keratosis Pilaris that never responded to Vitamin A or zinc.

If you've read a few of my posts I thought I found relief by trying different things before, but I was wrong. I have absolutely appreciated everyones willingness to help me out, though. So much. I'm almost at the end of my rope, but still trying to find humor in my misery. What's not hilarious about a nice young man who had all the potential in the world who's life has been completely turned upside down by an avalanche of health problems?

Coffee makes twitching in eyes much, much worse and makes me feel terrible in general. Potassium (supplements) make twitching worse for some reason. The doc said I have "silent reflux" which explains the burning throat in the morning. And for the past few days I've have constant burning in the stomach along with the horrendous twitching, fatigue, insomnia, etc.

Could it be too much serotonin? Or cortisol? B12 deficiency? Please, if ANYONE has ANY help for me, I'll be so grateful.

Ask Ray. His email address is floating around.

OP
J

JohnBonham

How sure are you of this? How much sodium/salt have you tried?

Lots of salt, I love it! I even experimented with several teaspoon to no avail unfortunately. Magnesium RBC level was great, had all the other electrolytes tested as well.

tara

You get more than vit-D from sunlight - you need the red-near infrared component too, to restore the cytochrome oxidase enzyme. Without this, your mitochondria cannot produce energy efficiently. Without adequate energy, muscles cannot relax properly.

As for your second paragraph I'm afraid I have no idea what any of that is haha! :)
Urine pH. Easily measured at home with pH strips or meter, not very expensive.

Last edited:
OP
J

JohnBonham

You get more than vit-D from sunlight - you need the red-near infrared component too, to restore the cytochrome oxidase enzyme. Without this, your mitochondria cannot produce energy efficiently. Without adequate energy, muscles cannot relax properly.

And I can get this even from the Winter sun?

tara

And I can get this even from the Winter sun?
I don't know how near you are to equator/pole, and couldn't calculate anything exact. My guess is that if you can expose your skin to winter sun without getting too cold, you may still get some benefit - and we are nearly at equinox again now. There are also threads on supplemental red lighting that some people have found to make a difference. Different spectrum than for vit-D synthesis.

Amazoniac

I would pay attention to excess calcium and salt without proper balance of other minerals, this usually happens in people who prefer cheese over milch.
You can test by eating foods rich in potassium, magnesium and zinc and notice if anything changes; or even supplement.
I haven't read all of your messages, so if this was already mentioned, I wasn't aware..

Edit: the user brian posted some time ago an speculation that you need better metabolism to handle that much calcium in relation to magnesium. I suggest that you read that too.

Last edited:

General unrecognized,not yet to be helped by peat-like dieting malnutrition?