Cough Remedies

allblues

A close relative of mine has been pestered by a cough/flu for about 1,5-2 months now.

First there was the usual peak of flu symptoms, mucus buildup in nose/throat, followed by runny nose,
coughing, etc. But the cough and slight sniffle has stayed on for far longer than was expected.
Main complaint now is the persistent cough.

She finally went to the doctor a few days ago, and was perscribed acetylcysteine, which supposedly
would help thin out the mucus. Knowing about cysteine, this seems like it might be a bad idea.

As a sidenote, the doctor also found a slight heart murmur, and i kid you not - actually wrote a perscription for aspirin!
So things ain't all bad.

Unfortunately I don't think she's ready to begin applying dyes or steroids to her throat just yet.
(Though i'm still all ears for fun unorthodox ways to go about this)

What would be some natural ways to combat a persistent cough?

raypeatclips

I had an illness followed by persistent cough which cleared up after a course of Peat friendly antibiotics. I also had a persistent cough from histamine when pollen counts were higher, which was alleviated by cyproheptadine.

OP
allblues

allblues

Interesting, thanks! Cyproheptadine might be something she'd be willing to try. Do you remember how quickly your cough cleared up from using it? Sedation can be a bummer though for first time users.
If this goes on long enough, the doc will probably prescribe abx.

Bag breathing, taping your mouth at night, sleep sitting up a bit or propped up. Cough will be gone.

OP
allblues

allblues

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Got any formula for the salty water, @Giraffe? Just 1-2 tbsp in water on the stove?
And the vit E, internal or topical?

raypeatclips

Interesting, thanks! Cyproheptadine might be something she'd be willing to try. Do you remember how quickly your cough cleared up from using it?

I think I saw improvements within the first day of using it, not sure how long until it stopped, a few days maybe. From what you've said though I don't think your relatives problem is the same as the cough I had.

Giraffe

Got any formula for the salty water, @Giraffe? Just 1-2 tbsp in water on the stove?
I heat water and fill it in a bowl, then I add maybe 2 tbsp of salt. I take a large towel and sit down near the bowl with the hot water. With the towel covering my head and the bowl, I bend over the bowl and breathe normally. The water shouldn't be too hot.

More convenient (and costly) is the use of an inhalator.

And the vit E, internal or topical?
I suggested vitamin E for its systemic effect. (I assume that your question was whether to rub it on the chest like tiger balm.) Does that answer your question?

achillea

Peel and cut up into smaller pieces about 6-8 large pieces of garlic, cover with warm water then add about a cup more. Let sit for 3 days then strain off garlic, add honey to taste. I have used this very old remedy for many people and it is very effective. One man was scheduled for a heart valve replacement and he had a terrible cough. Took this brew and was able to have the operation.

OP
allblues

allblues

I suggested vitamin E for its systemic effect. (I assume that your question was whether to rub it on the chest like tiger balm.) Does that answer your question?

It does, thank you. :)

tara

Bag breathing, taping your mouth at night,
+1
Or a chinstrap.
I've also found holding my breath every time after coughing for as long as I comfortably could resolved coughs much more quickly. I think it helps the cilia in the throat do their job of gentling carrying mucus up out of the airways for disposal, without stimulating more mucous production and without irritating and triggering the cough reaction.

yeah exhaling and pinching your nose and walking around will often stop coughing if you do it a few times for as long as you can...then you breathe as little as possible, tiny sniffs of air through your nose, and often this stops the coughing.

Giraffe

yeah exhaling and pinching your nose and walking around will often stop coughing if you do it a few times for as long as you can...then you breathe as little as possible, tiny sniffs of air through your nose, and often this stops the coughing.
Wouldn't she want to get the stuff out?

tara

Wouldn't she want to get the stuff out?
If there is mucous that needs to come out, I think it helps get it out by supplying more oxygen to the cilia that do that job - from experience, subsequent coughs are likely to be more effective/productive. But also, if there is excess mucous being produced because of hyperventilation, this can help reduce it.

tara

Also, CO2 helps calm nerves. So if the persistent cough is not so much about mucous that needs to come out as about the nerves that trigger coughing being overly sensitive/too easily activated, raising CO2 a little can help make them a little less reactive.This applies more to the dry/non-productive kind of ongoing cough.

miki14

I'm coming out of a flu with light fever, headache, lots of mucus in the sinus and bronchus and a persistent, painful cough. After the third day I felt like my lungs would tear and my sinus explode each time I had a coughing fit. I mixed at least 80mg of pregnenolone with ethanol and 4 drops of Thorne vitamin D (2000IU in MCT and tocopherols). I rubbed it in and my lungs calmed down over the next hour and the coughing fits went down to almost nothing. Headache was gone too. I was pretty impressed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom