Gelatin and serotonin

June

I have just started taking gelatin and have some questions. If someone can be so kind to answer, I would appreciate it! I am concerned about the fact that it depletes serotonin or feeds SIBO. What happens if a person is already deficient in serotonin/tryptophan? I took years withdrawing from SSRIS and a short stint of benzos and it destroyed my body on so many levels. Im at 7 years out and my body still hasnt recovered. 4 yrs ago a naturopath gave me a supplement to detox that caused my inflammation to become detrimental. My neck became a noodle and could no longer hold the weight of my head. I also have difficulty using left arm to reach behind my back. The muscles sandwiching my spine are constantly throbbing. Every bone creaks and growing strange bone spurs on hands and feet. Fighting SIBO for years. Within 3 days of taking 3 tbsp, my neck muscles have improved slightly but I feel I am more fatigued if I dont sleep long hours. I will continue on but worried about the Serotonin/SIBO aspect.

mostlylurking

I have just started taking gelatin and have some questions. If someone can be so kind to answer, I would appreciate it! I am concerned about the fact that it depletes serotonin or feeds SIBO. What happens if a person is already deficient in serotonin/tryptophan? I took years withdrawing from SSRIS and a short stint of benzos and it destroyed my body on so many levels. Im at 7 years out and my body still hasnt recovered. 4 yrs ago a naturopath gave me a supplement to detox that caused my inflammation to become detrimental. My neck became a noodle and could no longer hold the weight of my head. I also have difficulty using left arm to reach behind my back. The muscles sandwiching my spine are constantly throbbing. Every bone creaks and growing strange bone spurs on hands and feet. Fighting SIBO for years. Within 3 days of taking 3 tbsp, my neck muscles have improved slightly but I feel I am more fatigued if I dont sleep long hours. I will continue on but worried about the Serotonin/SIBO aspect.
I took doctor prescribed 5-htp for about 9 years and took Prozac for a couple of years before that and then stopped this nonsense 6 years ago, after getting diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that manifested in my thumb joints, but I pretty much hurt all over. So I've spent some time reading about the serotonin thing. I don't think you can become "deficient" in serotonin or tryptophan either. Tryptophan is needed for growth; if you are a fully grown adult, tryptophan isn't important and Ray Peat has said it can be considered carcinogenic as it promotes cell division. So don't worry about that. Your gut makes plenty or serotonin. If you want to increase the amount, just drink a glass of water quickly. The water will stretch your gut and serotonin will be generated. The idea of serotonin deficiency is mainly a con job to sell SSRI drugs. I do remember reading somewhere that taking something that increases your serotonin level can increase the number of serotonin receptors you have, thereby making you more sensitive to serotonin.

Your other symptoms (weak muscles constantly throbbing, creaking joints, SIBO could be caused by various vitamin/mineral deficiencies; calcium, magnesium, and thiamine come to mind. In addition, some of these issues could be tied to hypothyroidism.

Here's some links:

The key to solving most health issues is good oxidative metabolism which can be blocked by lack of thyroid hormone and can also be blocked by thiamine deficiency/functional blockage. If you can fix your oxidative metabolism, your body will have the energy to heal itself, assuming your aren't sabotaging your health in some other way like environmental toxins, etc.

mostlylurking

I am concerned about the fact that it depletes serotonin or feeds SIBO.
I don't think that gelatin "depletes" serotonin or "feeds SIBO". That said, I consume a LOT of gelatin in my diet and would be delighted if it did deplete serotonin. I've also suffered through SIBO and years of gut disbiosis and have managed to recover via thiamine supplementation along with magnesium and a good b-complex.

OP
J

June

Thank you for making the information so accessible!! Really tough to filter all the information when dealing with brain fog. I was so debilitated after my withdrawal started. Withered to nothing in size and then blew up like a balloon for no reason. I suspect my thyroid also but tests come back normal and dismissed despite the fact the thyroid peroxidase is high. I haven't seen a doctor since pandemic started and last test I took was an organic acid test and naturopath looked at me and told me I had the health of a 90 yr old :rolleyes: . Didn't surprise me since I felt like death for so long. I recently took Kelp for iodine and my body did not like that. Gained water weight. Now eating 3 brazil nuts daily and it's helping that calm down. One symptom I didn't mention here because I have a lengthy post already:

Is the traumatic hemorrhaging I dealt with and still deal with. At the start I was a walking shade of grey and didn't get a blood transfusion out of distrust of the medical system. My body could not take another synthetic drug. What I still haven't figured out is why taking the glutathione created this outcome. Keeping in mind, in that period I was already very weak with extremely off the chart cortisol. I'm trying to repair some damage with the gelatin. I hemorrhage about 10 days of the month now compared to the non-stop daily hemorrhage a year straight before. Great Lakes Gelatin is expensive with the amount I want to use. I noticed I can get Now Foods brand for a cheaper price but I am worried about the quality. Is there a comparison between them?

OP
J

June

Well..that was a bit of a bust. Couldn’t sleep yet so tired from the gelatin. Feeling a heaviness in my chest. I may have overdone it with the gelatin at 3 tbsp. Not sure how I should dose it to avoid this. Would once a day suffice or would I need to space it out to just once a day, couple days a week? Would it be effective if I don’t consume it daily?

liam183

I don't think that gelatin "depletes" serotonin or "feeds SIBO". That said, I consume a LOT of gelatin in my diet and would be delighted if it did deplete serotonin. I've also suffered through SIBO and years of gut disbiosis and have managed to recover via thiamine supplementation along with magnesium and a good b-complex.
Glycine attenuates endotoxin-induced liver injury by downregulating TLR4 signaling in Kupffer cells.

Glycine attenuates endotoxin-induced liver injury by downregulating TLR4 signaling in Kupffer cells - PubMed

“CONCLUSIONS: Dietary glycine improved survival rates and liver function in endotoxemic mice by regulating the production of proinflammatory or anti-inflammatory cytokines in liver.”

Glycine (main amino acid in gelatin) reduces endotoxins, ultimately decreasing serotonin and SIBO in the long term.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Thanks for not just lurking - that and your previous post are very helpful.

mostlylurking

Glycine attenuates endotoxin-induced liver injury by downregulating TLR4 signaling in Kupffer cells.

Glycine attenuates endotoxin-induced liver injury by downregulating TLR4 signaling in Kupffer cells - PubMed

“CONCLUSIONS: Dietary glycine improved survival rates and liver function in endotoxemic mice by regulating the production of proinflammatory or anti-inflammatory cytokines in liver.”

Glycine (main amino acid in gelatin) reduces endotoxins, ultimately decreasing serotonin and SIBO in the long term.
Thank you. This all looks positive. I think lowering serotonin is a good thing.

mostlylurking

Well..that was a bit of a bust. Couldn’t sleep yet so tired from the gelatin. Feeling a heaviness in my chest. I may have overdone it with the gelatin at 3 tbsp. Not sure how I should dose it to avoid this. Would once a day suffice or would I need to space it out to just once a day, couple days a week? Would it be effective if I don’t consume it daily?
How are you consuming it? What exactly are you expecting the gelatin to do?

Vins7

Interesting. Did you solve sibo with this supplementation? How much thiamin did you take what form?

babz

June may I give my suggestion about gelatin. You are correct to wonder about the gelatin. It is used in Chinese Medicine often. I am a TCM practioner. ANYTHING you take has to be efficiently digested first before the ingredients are assimilated and it affects things down stream. IF you have any digestive issues, especially low stomach acid or low bile flow, you might not be totally digesting the gelatin and that can allow bacteria and or fungus to feed on it/hence sibo. Gelatin is harder to digest. It seems the muscles in your arm and neck need the nourishment the gelatin provides but you are not Effectively digesting it. That’s why you are getting some benefit. The fatigue you feel from it is classic sign it is not fully digesting. You could try to add ginger tea or even try a western treatment of digestive enzymes or HCL. If you have any food in your stool or your bowel movements are off it shows digestive inefficiency too. You could try to take the gelatin with a meal or lessen the dose and take it over the course of the day. This is not medical advice but only suggestions.

artist

Gelatin is extremely high in both histamine and endotoxin. I can’t tolerate it at all, I get the fatigue plus a bunch of other unpleasant things.

OP
J

June

Sorry I missed these messages. Well eventually gelatin turned on me and caused a SIBO flare so bad that I'm still dealing with it. Eventually brought it back to baseline using Lauricidin. I think Gelatin should be avoided if one has Motor Migrating Complex issues. If things don't move along then it just sticks to the intestinal walls. Histamine is definitely an issue if it feeds the bugs. But curious why it involves endotoxins...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals