Low Serotonin/High Dopamine Diet

Jsaute21

I know we have discussed various ways to decrease serotonin while increasing dopamine. In the nature of making things more consolidated, how would one design the ultimate high dopamine diet, while decreasing serotonin?

My current meal plan has been as follows:
6:30 Wake up.
7:15-7:30: 2 eggs with 2 glasses of salted OJ with Gelatin.
8-8:45: 2 cups of coffee with either cream or milk, sugar, salt and gelatin.
10:30: cottage cheese and dates or cottage cheese and apple sauce.
1:30: Chopped Liver sandwich on french bread with onion and spinach. If hungry, some potatoes or an apple on the side.
4:30: Half of a dark chocolate bar with a glass of 1% milk with Gelatin.
7:30: 3/4 LB Lamb or Beef with Carrots, onions and a soda.

My diet isn't always the same but this is a sample day. I don't have coffee quite every day (i find it can affect my sex drive at times if over done). I am hornier without it. I also take supplements most days. Tyrosine, Taurine, theanine.

Tenacity

I'd probably have a bit more carbohydrate with that first meal - I think there'd be more protein in the eggs and gelatin combined than carbs in the OJ.

Starch seems to be an inferior carb source in terms of gut health, and gut health is instrumental in serotonin level. They would be better off being replaced with sugars.

Chocolate is very dopaminergic, so that's a good inclusion. I eat a lot of milk chocolate everyday and feel great! I suspect more fruit would be good too, especially whole fruits.

PUTFOT

Just eat chocolate and drink coffee; avoid tryptophan and eat tyrosine.
A lot of foods high in tyrosine are high in tryptophan too.

Avoiding tryptophan means no eggs, beef, milk. Where would one get choline, zinc, carnitine, calcium, and all the vitamins and minerals in these foods?

PUTFOT

I heard of the BCAAs + tyrosine combo for serotonin depletion. Is that all you really need? What's the long-term solution?

DaveFoster

A lot of foods high in tyrosine are high in tryptophan too.

Avoiding tryptophan means no eggs, beef, milk. Where would one get choline, zinc, carnitine, calcium, and all the vitamins and minerals in these foods?
The BCAA combo was mentioned; dopaminergic drugs are an option; caffeine and aspirin may be used. Why do you want "high dopamine?"

PUTFOT

The BCAA combo was mentioned; dopaminergic drugs are an option; caffeine and aspirin may be used. Why do you want "high dopamine?"
What do you do long-term?

Taking BCAA+tyrosine and gelatin with almost every meal doesn't sound too appealing or sustainable.

How's just coffee, niacinamide, and theanine on top of a good diet with meats, dairy, sugar, fruits, gelatin, ..., as a long-term solution for a favorable dopamine:serotonin ratio and serotonin in check?

PUTFOT

Noticed beef, meats, eggs, milk, and other foods have a pretty balanced ratio of tyrosine and tryptophan. Should result in an increase in both dopamine and serotonin. What am I missing?

DaveFoster

What do you do long-term?

Taking BCAA+tyrosine and gelatin with almost every meal doesn't sound too appealing or sustainable.

How's just coffee, niacinamide, and theanine on top of a good diet with meats, dairy, sugar, fruits, gelatin, ..., as a long-term solution for a favorable dopamine:serotonin ratio and serotonin in check?
Topical DHEA and pregnenolone (oral or topical) will lower cortisol and raise testosterone and dopamine.

Caffeine will do you well. 6-8 cups per day is optimal. Work your way up to 4 and then go from there.

L-theanine is okay; nothing magical about it, but it's a good supplement with very little downside, and for that reason it's great.

Niacinamide will lower serotonin.

T3 is the most effective way to lower serotonin, along with caffeine, but I recommend caffeine unless you're older.

Bag breathing/Frolov device will increase CO2 and regulate hormones in an almost magical way.

Meat is the worst thing for lowering serotonin. The Peat diet revolves around avoiding meat (tryptophan and phosphorous), avoiding starch (serotonin and endotoxin), and avoiding PUFA (estrogen, cortisol, and prostaglandin activation through byproducts).

PUTFOT

Topical DHEA and pregnenolone (oral or topical) will lower cortisol and raise testosterone and dopamine.

Caffeine will do you well. 6-8 cups per day is optimal. Work your way up to 4 and then go from there.

L-theanine is okay; nothing magical about it, but it's a good supplement with very little downside, and for that reason it's great.

Niacinamide will lower serotonin.

T3 is the most effective way to lower serotonin, along with caffeine, but I recommend caffeine unless you're older.

Bag breathing/Frolov device will increase CO2 and regulate hormones in an almost magical way.

Meat is the worst thing for lowering serotonin. The Peat diet revolves around avoiding meat (tryptophan and phosphorous), avoiding starch (serotonin and endotoxin), and avoiding PUFA (estrogen, cortisol, and prostaglandin activation through byproducts).
6-8 cups of coffee per day is crazy. Adrenal blowout? I drink a cup a day. Where did that conclusion of 6-8 cup being optimal come from? Coffee increases cortisol a lot. Cortisol is not very Peat.

Gelatin and dairy as main protein then? Where would one get daily zinc from (no supplement)?

How about organs (heart, liver), are they bad?

Any resources on getting started on bag breathing?

Andreas

6-8 cups of coffee per day is crazy. Adrenal blowout? I drink a cup a day. Where did that conclusion of 6-8 cup being optimal come from? Coffee increases cortisol a lot. Cortisol is not very Peat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, coffee is only stressfull when consumed on an empty stomach. Which is why we add sugar to coffee or drink it with a meal.
I'm new to peat but have been drinking 10 cups a day for a couple of years and i'm fine, what is adrenal blowout?

OP
J

Jsaute21

Great response @DaveFoster. I do however think 6-8 cups is a bit intense unless on thyroid or other hormonal supporters. I drink two cups a day usually. (Strong cups) but that is without any supplementation excluding vitamin e, k2, taurine and aspirin. I recommend these supplements to anybody - especially men as I notice an increase in sex drive after each. Particularly the vitamin E.

PUTFOT

Correct me if I'm wrong, coffee is only stressfull when consumed on an empty stomach. Which is why we add sugar to coffee or drink it with a meal.
I'm new to peat but have been drinking 10 cups a day for a couple of years and i'm fine, what is adrenal blowout?
How's your sleep? Ever had hormones tested?

DaveFoster

@PUTFOT

Chicken eggs are good protein; the yolk is particularly nutritious.

Heart is high in iron, but with liver it's generally not a problem if consumed sparingly. Heart has a lot of CoQ10, while liver has quite a bit of vitamin A, b12, and copper.

Gelatin should be at most 50 grams per day to not irritate the stomach.

1-3 smoked oysters per day (in olive oil) should be good for zinc.

Bag breathing is good immediately (2-3 minutes in a paper bag). The Frolov device should be used with a breathing timer; google "Frolov breathing timer," download the app, and then start with something like 18 PRA, 3 inhale, 6 abdominal pull-in, and maybe for 2-4 minutes.

You can go to 20 minutes, but I don't see the need. The numbers correspond to seconds.

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster Where do chicken eggs fall? Good as main protein?
This is a quote from my book: Aspirin: More Than Just a Painkiller, thanks Amazoniac for the title.

Caffeine increases pituitary ACTH release, which elevates cortisol concentrations in acute administration; this effect partly attenuates after five days of continued caffeine consumption,[1] which coincides with upregulation of cortical A1-adenosine receptors, β1-adrenoceptors, nicotinic receptors, and muscarinic receptors.[2] Like sucrose, aspirin can alleviate transient caffeine intolerance, characterized by anxiety, nervousness, aggression, tremor, and feelings of malaise.

[1] Lovallo WR, Whitsett TL, al’Absi M, Sung BH, Vincent AS, Wilson MF. Caffeine Stimulation of Cortisol Secretion Across the Waking Hours in Relation to Caffeine Intake Levels. Psychosom Med. 2005;67(5):734–9.
[2] Shi D, Nikodijević O, Jacobson KA, Daly JW. Effects of chronic caffeine on adenosine, dopamine and acetylcholine systems in mice. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 1994 Dec;328(3):261–87.

PUTFOT

@DaveFoster Thanks for the answer.

Do you know the difference between the vitamin e in estroban vs vitamin e in tocovit? The price difference is huge and estroban offers more vitamins.

DaveFoster

@PUTFOT

Vitamin E is TocoVit has a higher concentration of alpha-tocopherols, or rather they're much higher quality in their biological activity.

I'd recommend topical vitamin D (2000 IU working up to 10000 IU) on your wrists; 200 IU TocoVit per day, oral, and 5-15 mg oral K2 OR 3-5 mg topical K2 (w/ DMSO as a solvent.) For vitamin A, 0.5 - 1 oz liver/day is ideal.