Fooling The Body

gretchen

Such_Saturation said:
gretchen said:
Such_Saturation said:
Nicholas said:
this will be my last effort to share. eating carrot salads or pounding carbs or soaking in epsom baths is not doing anything longterm for your health. if one is using carrot salads to heal their serotonin problem they are going about it the wrong way. if you are barefooting or taking pregnenolone to heal a cortisol issue then you are going about it the wrong way. feel free to do all these things, but don't fool yourself that you are getting to the root of the issue. have we all forgotten the ROOT of the problem? ...the very foundational ideas of Peat himself in addressing lack of perception and faulty metabolisms? faulty energy production? have we all read Peat and not absorbed anything at all? this is depressing. when i say that food is a medicine, i am not saying that putting coconut oil in your coffee or taking glycine or eating carrot salads is how we use food as a healer. neither is Peat. none of these things heal an energy production problem. what heals energy production problems (at least this is the philosophy and where the science points) is meeting the demands of your body progressively. creating a nutritional and lifestyle environment where cells are not excited but stable and free to do all the healing themselves. that simple. knowing this doesn't solve all your problems, but it's the only valid place to start.

Yeah uhh... so have you seen the part about electron acceptors and Gilbert Ling? About nonlocal fields, downward spirals, about the effect of mind on body?

I would like to read that. Where are his books? Scribd? No, I haven't read that.

I have read he says red light is the critical factor in physical detioration. The sun is the key to lowering cortisol, normalizing serotonin, fixing digestion, etc. It's where we get our energy, not food.

We do actually need the energy from the Earth (magnetism), so no, it's not wrong to barefoot. The environment is the valid place to start, and that does encompass lifestyle factors, and gets in to all the economic, social and political stuff already mentioned.

It's all on raypeat.com

I'll have to do some re reading.

electron acceptors

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/cascara-energy-cancer-fda-laxative-abuse.shtml said:
Koch’s understanding of the oxidative apparatus of life, as a matter of electron balances, involved the idea that molecules with a low ionization potential, making them good electron donors, amines specifically, interfered with respiration, while quinones, with a high affinity for electrons, making them electron acceptors, activated respiration. The toxic effects of tryptophan derivatives, indoles, and other amines related to the behavior of their electrons. (Serotonin wasn’t known at the time Koch was doing his basic research.) Koch believed that similar electronic functions were responsible for the effects of viruses.

Both chemical and physical interactions of substances cause electrons to shift in each substance, according to its composition. The shift of electrons accounts for the ability of adsorbed molecules or ions to form multiple layers on a surface, and changes in the electrons of a complex biological molecule affect the shape and function not only of that molecule, but of the molecules associated with it. Interactions of the large molecules of cells, and their adsorbed substances, tend toward stable arrangements, or phases. The type of energy production, and the nature of the regulatory molecules that are present, influence the stability of the various states of an organism’s cells.

Gilbert Ling

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fatigue-aging-recuperation.shtml said:
Gilbert Ling's view of cytoplasmic structure gives a different emphasis to the function of electrons, which I think is an essential complement to Szent-Gyorgyi's view. Ling's emphasis is on how the inductive effect of adsorbed substances (for example, ATP and progesterone has powerful adsorptive effects) on proteins changes the charge concentration on ionizable groups. When the charge concentration is in one configuration (more acidic), the preferred counterion is potassium, and in another (less acidic) configuration, it is sodium.

fields

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ed ... enia.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... rone.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/howdoyouknow.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ad ... ance.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/pa ... tric.shtml

downward spirals

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/lactate.shtml said:
Lactate and inflammation promote each other in a vicious cycle (Kawauchi, et al., 2008).

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/tissue-destruction.shtml said:
There always seems to be a rough balance between tissue regeneration and tissue degeneration, with growth and repair occurring when the equilibrium shifts in one direction,and with atrophy or degeneration occurring when the balance shifts in the other direction. If we can understand the mechanisms of atrophy, and how to retard or to block tissue destruction, then we can restore the balance to a degree which might allow regeneration to occur, even if we don't clearly understand the mechanisms of growth.

http://raypeat.com/articles/hormones/h1.shtml

effect of mind on body

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/william-blake.shtml said:
The brain is an energetically expensive organ, which consumes large amounts of glucose. A very large brain puts a special burden on the liver’s ability to store energy, and is likely to make a person conscious of physiological processes. Blake’s descriptions of the process of seeing show that he was integrating his experience into his knowledge, describing brain physiology, incorporating his perceptions and the best scientific knowledge that was available to him, into a philosophical description of the place of conscious life in the world. The pulsation of an artery was the unit of time, a red blood corpuscle was the unit of space, enclosing eternity and infinity, eliminating arbitrary and abstract entities, and placing human life within cosmic life, while revealing cosmic life within the individual.

The idea of a “biological cosmos” seems strange only when it is considered against an ideology which maintains that life is alone in an immense dead universe. The assumption of a dead, unintelligent, randomly moving physical world is the creation of a series of theological ideas, which Blake perceived as essentially Satanic. Blake used the language of these theologies, but inverted them, showing the ways they were used to obscure reality, and to impose a perverse way of life onto the living world.

Fred Hoyle, the astronomer, said “If this were an entirely scientific matter, there is little doubt from the evidence that the case for a fundamentally biological universe would be regarded as substantially proven.” (1989)

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/co2.shtml said:
The brain has a high rate of oxidative metabolism, and so it forms a very large proportion of the carbon dioxide produced by an organism. It also governs, to a great extent, the metabolism of other tissues, including their consumption of oxygen and production of carbon dioxide or lactic acid. Within a particular species, the rate of oxygen consumption increases in proportion to brain size, rather than body weight. Between very different species, the role of the brain in metabolism is even more obvious, since the resting metabolic rate corresponds to the size of the brain. For example, a cat's brain is about the size of a crocodile's, and their oxygen consumption at rest is similar, despite their tremendous difference in body size.

Stress has to be understood as a process that develops in time, and the brain (especially the neocortex and the frontal lobes) organizes the adaptive and developmental processes in both the spatial and temporal dimensions. The meaning of a situation influences the way the organism responds. For example, the stress of being restrained for a long time can cause major gastrointestinal bleeding and ulcerization, but if the animal has the opportunity to bite something during the stress (signifying its ability to fight back, and the possibility of escape) it can avoid the stress ulcers.

aquaman

JRMoney15 said:
Lol Nicholas you truly are a weirdo. I answered your question but I really have no clue what you are talking about. None of your posts make any sense. I'd love to know what your social life looks like if it even exists. Thank god for the ignore button.

That's something not right with you, JRMoney.

tara

Hi Nicholas,

I agree with you that there can be risks with trying to push the body to do things it's not ready to do. I agree that it is very difficult to know exactly what is going on with our cells. I tend to be sceptical when people express certainty about exactly what multiple hormone levels are doing on the basis of how they feel, or specific physical symptoms.
I agree with you that philosophical attitude is relevant, and that learning and paying attention etc are important.
I agree that eating to raise metabolism is key.
I tend to think eating adequate food, attending to some of the fundamental lifestyle parameters like sunlight and movement (as per Brian), and living life as well as one can (as per pboy) come first. Depending on what was causing health issues in the first place, that is sometimes enough to get things back on track.

I think there's a real difference in what kind of approach makes sense for the 'worried well' ie those who are already in pretty good health, but are after perfection, compared with those who have more severe damage and dysfunction.

I disagree with you about carrot salad not being a solution. As I've understood Peat, it's main function is to reduce endotoxin and estrogen resorption. This may be addressing root causes, and Peat has said that in somecases this can be enough to a make a significant difference in balancing hormones. I think this fits with your description of removing impediments to the metabolism that cells inherently know how to do. c, rather than trying to force the cells to do something they don't want to. In some cases, simply increasing carb intake (eg Brian) may be removing the bottleneck - ie fuel deficiency.
I disagree with you about some of the specific tactics not being able to heal energy metabolism. Not that I think anyone of them will be the magic bullet that will work for everyone. But when there is an impediment to respiration, specific tactics to reduce those impediments may be just what is needed. Peat did say he thought that adding coconut oil to his diet for a while functioned in such a way for him.
Sometimes addressing a straight vitamin deficiency is addressing a root cause, and a supplement is the easiest, quickest, safest way to confirm this.

I also agree with what I think such was referring to, that some of us have gotten so far into a downward spiral that simple food and lifestyle mods are not going to be enough. Some of us are just not functioning well because we are not giving ourselves optimal conditions. But some of us now have damage and need something extra to get out of the hole.
I do think that there is something to be said for making changes gradually, so we can feel how the change are affecting us, and go at a pace that our bodies can adapt to without undue stress from sudden changes.
I suspect there are people here taking a bunch of supplements who would be better off just eating enough and going for a walk in the sun every day, as well as some people who have done what they can with such methods, and really need thyroid supps and/or progesterone and/or aspirin etc to be a circuit breaker to pick them up to a level where they can make use of all the nutrition, red light, CO2 etc.

As you know, I'm generally really keen on people getting basic nutritional needs met, getting basic breathing habits trained, getting some daily sunshine and movement, sleeping enough, and giving these things a chance before leaping into lots of medical and hormonal supplements. For most people, appetite is a good guide to how much to eat. Though I don't often refer to it, I do think having a life with meaningful relationships, work, and goals are also important, and part of Peat's take too - intention can be part of the organising principle that the body attempts to align itself with.

But sometimes even that is not possible. For someone who has been doing long-term anorexia - ie if they can't eat enough because their appetite is completely out of touch with their needs, then the effects of cyproheptadine on increasing appetite and weight can be a life-saver.
Similarly, if someone's gut-inflamation or extremely high histamine levels are interfering being able to get nourishment from food, then they may not be able to simply let their appetite guide them back to health.

If after considering basic nutrition and lifestyle factors, someone thinks further tactics are needed, I am really keen on considering how one can best assess which supplements give the best likely benefit to risk ratio for them, and how to approach appropriate dosages of supplements. In the case of thyroid supps for instance, the risks of trying to push the body too far too fast seem to be mitigable by starting small and increasing slowing while monitoring closely. I am sometimes concerned by relative newcomers here jumping into taking 1 or 2 grains of NDT thyroid before they've tried basics like eating carbs etc, and before they've learned much about what else needs to be in place to support it, how to monitor the effects, etc. Unless someone is showing labs with obvious major thyroid deficiencies even after attending to nutrition, then I see no good reason for starting at such high doses.

In my case, I have a debilitating health condition which if unmedicated causes several days of intolerable pain every month, and makes it impossible to meet even my own most basic needs, let alone take care of my young children. I came to Peat's writing not with a question about whether or not to take supplements and medicines, but rather with a question about whether there are safer, more effective medicines I could use instead of the ones I was using (I still don't have answers to this), as well as what else I can do to support my overall health, on the off chance that would help restore my health and reduce or eliminate this issue. I had this condition gradually worsen over more than a decade before I used any medication (let alone hormonal supplements etc) to treat it.
This is a very different situation to eg a body builder whose main concern is to build muscle and get ripped, or someone whose most important issue is a perceived extra 20 pounds of weight they'd like to lose.

I am currently one whose body does not wish to be forced to higher functioning by caffeine.

I have been contemplating for some time starting a related thread about strategy. May continue with those thoughts here.

Rickyman

No rebuttal from Nick in over 5 years. I guess he just needed some attention.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals