Peatarian without supplements?

OP
D

Dave H

Yeah, he'd think, "Wow, this is great!" and he'd eat both, so long as I didn't overdo the salt. Am getting coconut oil into him in the same way. He won't eat that straight though the other two dogs will (they are total chow hounds).

marcar72

I just wanted to comment on the fact that since eating Peatish I've been striving for no supplementation. I used to take a daily multivitamin, soy lecithin capsule, a couple fish oil pills, vitamin E, and a calcium/zinc/magnesium pill daily. It was a handful of pills that I'm glad to be free of now. The only supplementation really is the vitamin A/D fortified lowfat milk that I drink daily. Sometimes I think "well I'm not getting enough vitamin E or vitamin K" but I feel that is somehow worked out in a different fashion. No need for a lot of vitamin E if PUFA intake and release is low, and vitamin K is biosynthesized by gut flora in the small intestine. As far as I know all my intakes are fine and optimal I hope! :2cents

mariange

Mittir said:
RP recommends 7-8 hours of sleep.

Just wondering about the sleep amount. I usually sleep about 6 hrs/night now during the week, increasing to about 8 on the weekends. I may occaisionally stretch out for a rest on weekend afternoons, but I can't really fall asleep during the day unless I'm sick.

I can't decide if more sleep during the week would help or harm:
  • My significant other does not buy into the "lights on at night" concept. So more sleep would equal more darkness. Wouldn't that increase my cortisol? (just as an aside, I'm thinking about making a red LED battery operated anklet that I can wear under the covers - like a "throwie" from MAKE magazine maybe).
  • I like the feeling of being more rested during the week on 8 hrs of sleep, but then I lose my only 2 hours a day of quiet down time, which ultimately makes me feel more stressed. I feel like I have a certain amount of reading / research / creative exploration / NOT talking that I need daily, as much as any vitamin. Otherwise, life becomes too much about work / chores / taking care of others, repeated over and over.

Just curious how other people find this balance.

Mariange

Mittir

@Mariange
I later found this quote, he really recommends 8 to 8 1/2 hours sleep.

It varies with the season, but 8 to 8 1/2 hours is usually best.

There are lots of RP comments on sleep and light on this page.
http://www.dannyroddy.com/2011/12/29/ra ... tandi.html

If you have a healthy liver with good storage of glycogen before you go to bed
you should be able to sleep 8 hours without having skyrocketing
cortisol wake you up. They key is glycogen storage, eating sugar,salt in milk or OJ
before bed helps with filling glycogen storage.
RP also commented that a healthy person should be able to go through
8-10 hours of darkness without major increase in stress hormone.
I use 500 watt incandescent light from sunset till i go to bed.
I dont feel the need to have extra light during sleep.
Light also increases use of Vitamin A, you have to make sure
you are getting weekly liver and egg yolks.

PeaterPan

You can do a Ray Peat diet without supplements if you balance sugar,coffee and saturated fats right.

But it would be better to supplement to get faster and better benefits, remember that supplements are catalytic, they speed up metabolic reactions.

IMO.

Zachs

Most supplements are garbage anyway. Once a week unique-e, daily zinc and coffee, gelatin, salt and sugars are all i supplement with. Zinc i only take because i have no way to get oysters and i dont eat animal flesh.