Taking Extra Supplements Like Aspirin, K2, When The Body Is Healthy?

Kasper

Okay this post is directed to @haidut, but everyone feel free to respond.

So I was watching you last show with Danny Roddy, and I noticed that you seem to have some kind of view that supplementing vitamins etc, or parmaceuticals like cypro, can be a very good strategy when you are severely sick. And it seems like you have done that yourself as well, but since you are getting healthier, you are taking much less supplements on a daily basis, and try to take supplements more in a reactive way. Like if, you feel mentally sluggish, take more vitamin B1. But no aspirin anymore, only estroban once a week etc.

I think this is also Ray Peat's view a bit, although he is even more against supplements, it seems, even if you are severely sick.

Personally, my view is more on the other side of the spectrum. Why not take supplements like aspirin and vitamin K2 on a daily basis, even if you are perfectly healthy, and doesn't need it to feel good? (except for financial reasons of course, and bad additives) Is this because you believe the body functions better without extra aspirin, or vitamin K2, or I don't know things like emodin, taurine, whatever, if the body is healthy, and those supplements are mainly to be taken in a sick state?

I heard that many of those supplements have anti aging properties. You wrote that maybe even some extra B2 may have anti aging properties. So I'm like, why wait until you don't feel completely healthy anymore, why not be pro active, and take things like that on a daily basis.

I think sometimes, this is also a more emotional argument, people tend to associate people that take a lot of supplements, with very sick people. People are often very shocked to see how much I take. But I'm like, if you would take all the stuff that is in the red bull you are drinking now, all the b vitamins, the taurine, the caffeine, the inositol, the carbonate, the magnesium, and more stuff, it would look very similar (in quantity) to what I take in the morning.

And I would love it, if there was some ray peat inspired soda, that would contain, things like caffeine, taurine, aspirin, b vitamins, magnesium glycinate, calcium carbonate, theanine or whatever. Not only because to limit the additives that are in the supplements, but also because people would look different upon that, than if they see me take 7 different supplements in the morning.

Anyway, I'm interested in your views on that haidut.

milk_lover

That drink should be called super boner and i won't be more ashamed to drink it than to take pills in front of people.

I consider myself relatively healthy and i wouldn't suffer much now if i take less supplements but like you i am being pro-active. Some might think i am addicted to pills. I am working on my new phase though, i want to use the supplements situationally.

haidut

Forum Supporter

So I was watching you last show with Danny Roddy, and I noticed that you seem to have some kind of view that supplementing vitamins etc, or parmaceuticals like cypro, can be a very good strategy when you are severely sick. And it seems like you have done that yourself as well, but since you are getting healthier, you are taking much less supplements on a daily basis, and try to take supplements more in a reactive way. Like if, you feel mentally sluggish, take more vitamin B1. But no aspirin anymore, only estroban once a week etc.

I think this is also Ray Peat's view a bit, although he is even more against supplements, it seems, even if you are severely sick.

Personally, my view is more on the other side of the spectrum. Why not take supplements like aspirin and vitamin K2 on a daily basis, even if you are perfectly healthy, and doesn't need it to feel good? (except for financial reasons of course, and bad additives) Is this because you believe the body functions better without extra aspirin, or vitamin K2, or I don't know things like emodin, taurine, whatever, if the body is healthy, and those supplements are mainly to be taken in a sick state?

I heard that many of those supplements have anti aging properties. You wrote that maybe even some extra B2 may have anti aging properties. So I'm like, why wait until you don't feel completely healthy anymore, why not be pro active, and take things like that on a daily basis.

I think sometimes, this is also a more emotional argument, people tend to associate people that take a lot of supplements, with very sick people. People are often very shocked to see how much I take. But I'm like, if you would take all the stuff that is in the red bull you are drinking now, all the b vitamins, the taurine, the caffeine, the inositol, the carbonate, the magnesium, and more stuff, it would look very similar (in quantity) to what I take in the morning.

And I would love it, if there was some ray peat inspired soda, that would contain, things like caffeine, taurine, aspirin, b vitamins, magnesium glycinate, calcium carbonate, theanine or whatever. Not only because to limit the additives that are in the supplements, but also because people would look different upon that, than if they see me take 7 different supplements in the morning.

I am not against supplementing regularly, even if a person feels fine. Low dose methylene blue, niacinamide, pregnenolone, caffeine, aspirin (not every day), vitamin K2, anti-serotonin like cypro, etc can all be parts of a decent anti-aging protocol. All of the above have been shown to extend lifespan when taken throughout the lifetime of an organism and have no serious toxicities. I think taking the above substances even once a week will have a pronounced pro-health effects and this could be a decent compromise for people who don't want to depend on supplements but also get some of the benefits. It has been shown that at least in the case of aspirin, pregnenolone, vitamin K, caffeine, and cypro you can take once a week only and still get maybe 80% of the benefits.
The fact that Peat supplements with some of these either every day or at least once a week shows that he is probably not against the idea, even though some people will argue that he needs to do it because he is in his 70s.
So, yes, if you feel some supplements are giving you a benefit when taken regularly then by all means experiment.

B

Braveheart

I am not against supplementing regularly, even if a person feels fine. Low dose methylene blue, niacinamide, pregnenolone, caffeine, aspirin (not every day), vitamin K2, anti-serotonin like cypro, etc can all be parts of a decent anti-aging protocol. All of the above have been shown to extend lifespan when taken throughout the lifetime of an organism and have no serious toxicities. I think taking the above substances even once a week will have a pronounced pro-health effects and this could be a decent compromise for people who don't want to depend on supplements but also get some of the benefits. It has been shown that at least in the case of aspirin, pregnenolone, vitamin K, caffeine, and cypro you can take once a week only and still get maybe 80% of the benefits.
The fact that Peat supplements with some of these either every day or at least once a week shows that he is probably not against the idea, even though some people will argue that he needs to do it because he is in his 70s.
So, yes, if you feel some supplements are giving you a benefit when taken regularly then by all m eans experiment.

I totally agree with you...
I take all recommended Peat supps only 3 times per week with the exception of preg/dhea and nettle, which I take daily...there are some health worries that come with my age (arteries, prostate, hormone balance) that tempt me to "overdue it"...also I wonder some over the absorption problem with older people...makes me think that maybe what I do is not enough. I too believe that even once a week would benefit. According to my weekly FITDAY analysis I'm right on with my supps and in sync with WHO recommendations...of course nutrients from food come first.

forterpride

So, yes, if you feel some supplements are giving you a benefit when taken regularly then by all means experiment.

Why not aspirin every day Haitut? I've been taking between 3-5 grams a day and feeling good. I actually crave the taste of aspirin and eat it with every glass of milk i drink. Thanks haidut.

Peater Piper

Supplements in general have been a huge flop when it comes to preventing health problems, and in many cases have made things worse (vitamin e included). Obviously the Peat inspired supplements are a bit different than what the typical person would be taking, but anything you take is going to affect something else. It becomes a balancing act, trying to compensate for one supplement with another, so on and so forth, but you'll probably miss an interaction that you may not even be aware of. In a compromised, sickly state I think supplements can have a huge benefit, but the positives diminish significantly for someone that's healthy, making the risks a bigger concern. I'm not in great shape myself so I will be trying some supplements, but if I were healthy I'd be a lot more judicious.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Why not aspirin every day Haitut? I've been taking between 3-5 grams a day and feeling good. I actually crave the taste of aspirin and eat it with every glass of milk i drink. Thanks haidut.

Because studies have shown that for cancer-preventive and life extension purposes you don't need to take it every day. The dose 3-5 grams is probably not something most people can "stomach" easily without discomfort or bleeding issues. My point was on what is the minimum regimen of supplementation that can be taken chronically and still get benefits.

"Peat recommended" is a mischaracterization in my opinion. Peat recommends getting what you need from real food. Vitamin E and salt may be the safest supplements, he says. He talks about many other supplements but in day to day, doesn't recommend anything but real food as far as I know, such as OJ and milk.

thegiantess

As far as I can tell there are a few different types of folks that linger around this forum and listen to the podcast. Well not types, but groups of people with varying motivations for being here. You have the sick, who come here searching for answers to fix an acute issue, then you have the not sick, but not great that come here to tweak their diets and expand on things they already know from years doing various other diets and then you have the bio hackers. I don't think the last group is totally removed from the first two, and certainly there is some overlap, but the bio hacking types are generally healthy, but like to experiment with diet and lifestyle in order to achieve their best possible self. So, if you are in to bio hacking that means you see the benefit of supplementation and other strategies to get even healthier/stay healthy. I consider myself to be in that category, so I experiment here and there with different things, do a fair amount of lab work, etc. Viva supplementation!

forterpride

As far as I can tell there are a few different types of folks that linger around this forum and listen to the podcast. Well not types, but groups of people with varying motivations for being here. You have the sick, who come here searching for answers to fix an acute issue, then you have the not sick, but not great that come here to tweak their diets and expand on things they already know from years doing various other diets and then you have the bio hackers. I don't think the last group is totally removed from the first two, and certainly there is some overlap, but the bio hacking types are generally healthy, but like to experiment with diet and lifestyle in order to achieve their best possible self. So, if you are in to bio hacking that means you see the benefit of supplementation and other strategies to get even healthier/stay healthy. I consider myself to be in that category, so I experiment here and there with different things, do a fair amount of lab work, etc. Viva supplementation!

lol. Great post. #biohackersftw

DaveFoster

I think haidut nailed it. You basically have two questions:

What do I have to gain?

What do I have to lose?

For the first, money and risks of side-effects. For most of the Peat supplements, they're cheap and very low-risk.

For the second, you have superior physical and mental health to gain; plus, it's awesome to feel like a mad scientist.

Stryker

even if you are in perfect health that doesnt mean you should skip past supplements , after all its better to prevent something with smaller doses than treat it with large ones

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals