Integrating Supplements

Nicholas

I am slowly coming around to supplements. I'm to the point of being exasperated by the longwindedness of food healing and how much balancing is constantly required to keep the body in that healing state for someone with an impaired metabolism. It took me a while to realize that you CAN use supplements intelligently. With the resources here, it's easy to see all of the different mehanisms of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. and how they can deplete other things, etc.

The areas i want to target are really just serotonin and general cell metabolism. Of course i do all this and more already with diet. There's a thread here on Lysine being a serotonin antagonist but that seems awfully isolated (which would be good for an accurate experiment)....whereas a product like Energin can deal with more problems than just serotonin by looking at the entire cell metabolism (though harder to pin-point which vitamin is doing what). This broader view is, obviously, the goal with using nutrition to heal: balancing all of the nutrients and balancing blood sugar. Interestingly, i'm seeing that the way you balance food must be very much like the way you balance supplements - only you can't balance blood sugar with supplements alone.

Haidut wrote: "If metabolism is not working well for whatever reason, the body compensates with increasing the stress hormones. So, if you lower these without simultaneously restoring thyroid function then you may end up feeling exhausted / weak"

it's great to see this recognized. So as far as taking this practically into the realm of administering different supplements....is it the right idea that you basically just start out very low dose and keep all food variables consistent and then slowly raise or not until you've found your sweet spot? the "sweet spot" being where the function of everything else (like thyroid, for example) is hospitable to the new substance? For example, i'm pretty sure serotonin is a root dysfunction for me (too much).....so perhaps my thyroid is not where it should be.....and i introduce a product like Energin or Lysine.....i hope this communicates....the way i imagine it in my head (and using physical readings as well) is that you are trying to warm up your deficient thyroid to and see how much of Energin or Lysine it will allow?

And can thyroid function heal by more balanced stress hormones or does thyroid heal separately (like with food)?

I just want to make sure i'm understanding how to approach supplement experimentation. Is the idea of supplements to encourage the healing process? (i.e. you get off of them eventually) or are supplements more of a masking mechanism? There are so many things which can pick up the burden, but is picking up the burden really conducive to healing? I imagine that it could be if in tandem with good nutrition as well.....

Thanks!

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

the questions in this post are absolutely crucial to be understood if anyone is on supplements. i just wanted to bump this in case the lack of response was just overlooking or if these questions haven't been answered scientifically yet.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

came to my senses tonight. i have had this massive stress/guilty conscience since i started trying out supplements to survive an unmanageable environment three days ago. but i remembered that my body is smarter than i am. how many times will i forget this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals