silica, etc. in supplements

caroline

My question for everyone is the following:

I researched the B1 and Niacinamide supplements and found that it is affordable for me to get it in pill form. However, it has silica in it, etc. The powders, found on the sites mentioned by everyone, are preferable, but not maintainable monetarily for me. I definitely need the boost in cognitive function and other than that, am not taking supplements. (With exception of gelatin, which I consider a must.) So to all of you, my question is: how bad is the added "junk" in the supplements if powder is not an option for me. Does it negate the overall effects or is it an acceptable tradeoff. Everything else for me, is just coming along but as brain function is crucial for me sooner rather than later (attempting schooling), this is not something I want to wait on if I can have results. Would appreciate anyone's input on this.

If the silica, etc. is so problematic that it will nullify the positive effects, then I guess I will have to just hope my brain function improves with coffee, etc. and the diet I am following to the tee. I wish there was some food-based way for me to get the extras in the B1 and niacinamide. Saw that Ray Peat mentioned he used B1 to memorize piles of French words, etc.

Thank you very much for your input. I don't want to be greedy about waiting for improvement, but cognitive improvements would be really helpful in lowering the stress I typically incur from having to "think so hard." Thanks again, and thanks loads for all the wonderful input I have received from reading so many of your posts. This is a wonderful group of people; intelligent, thoughtful, and generous with their discoveries. I appreciate it more than can be expressed.

Sincerely,
Caroline

OP
C

caroline

Thanks, Bacon Bits! hahaha. That's funny using that as your name; I like it!

The stores I contacted so far reported silica being in the capsules, so I am not clear on where I will find capsules without this. Sounds like you are saying not to, but after calling several stores, all have silica in them. So forego the vitamins then unless I can find one without? Sorry to be dense, but it sounds like that is what you are saying if I can't find without the contaminants. GNC, CVC, etc. all have the bad stuff in them.

4peatssake

Can you order from Amazon? I can't locate supplements without junk in them in local pharmacies either.

Forum member Dan Wich lists this one as the best B1 he could find in pill form.

Swanson Premium Vitamin B1 (Gelcaps)
Available on Amazon
Positives:
silica-free / silicon-dioxide-free
stearic acid-free / magnesium stearate-free

Negatives:
(none)
All ingredients:
Thiamin USP (as thiamin HCl), rice flour, gelatin.

For Niacinamide, the best source in pill form is also available on Amazon.

Solaray Niacinamide (Capsules)
Available on Amazon
Positives:
silica-free / silicon-dioxide-free
stearic acid-free / magnesium stearate-free
hypromellose-free / hydroxypropyl methylcellulose-free

Negatives:
(none)
All ingredients:
Niacin (as niacinamide), gelatin (capsule), Whole Food Base (whole rice concentrate including the kernel, polishings and hull and pure aloe vera gel [aloe officinalis]).

Check out his website for further supplement sources.

Toxinless

OP
C

caroline

Great, thanks for this. I got frustrated at seeing there are NOT local sources that do not have junk in them. Powders, while ideal, are not practical; kind of like eating only grass-fed food or squeezing all our own oranges for juice.. The amount of money we would spend would make this unsustainable. This diet works b/c it is affordable.

I guess I was hoping for people to say, no big deal, don't worry about the ingredients in this, but it appears that is not the case. I will take a look at the suggestions you provided. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions!

OP
C

caroline

We ordered both. Problem solved! Thanks very much, Bacon Bits, and 4Peatssake!

jyb

caroline said:
Great, thanks for this. I got frustrated at seeing there are NOT local sources that do not have junk in them. Powders, while ideal, are not practical; kind of like eating only grass-fed food or squeezing all our own oranges for juice.. The amount of money we would spend would make this unsustainable. This diet works b/c it is affordable.

I guess I was hoping for people to say, no big deal, don't worry about the ingredients in this, but it appears that is not the case. I will take a look at the suggestions you provided. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions!

I don't agree. Some impurities are a big deal, and more generally avoiding residues and eating digestible foods is really key to a RP diet. Most of the benefits of this diet, I think, can all be traced back to avoiding fiber / metals / impurities / allergenic chemicals etc found in foods, supplements, cooking utensils, etc. Some non-fresh juice are fine, but you have to cheque for yourself.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
C

caroline

Thanks, Charlie. P.S. Your posts have been awesome; I have been reading all along; So many great suggestions. And we ordered the right stuff. I really want to improve brain function so it is worth the hassle.

It's not like it was any cheaper to get the stuff with junk in it, especially seeing what's available after using Danwich's link. Capsules were very affordable and actually a bit cheaper than the stuff around here with less desirable ingredients; I am a bit lazy, but it makes sense to get the better product in this case. I saw all the links on silica, and all in all, makes sense to get the one with less stuff in it that is still affordable. Thanks so much, everyone, for your input. Will let everyone know if I notice a difference after taking the B1 and Niacinamide. It is easy to tell b/c I am in the midst of lots of math problems/verbal puzzles etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals