All Supplements Are Estrogenic

lampofred

Realized this today.

If you think about the biological meaning of estrogen, it signifies a loss of stability/balance, whereas progesterone is the opposite. High estrogen leads to either obesity or excess leanness, mania or sluggishness, etc. Dr. Peat also writes this in his article on aspirin:

"Aspirin is an antioxidant that protects against lipid peroxidation, but it also stimulates mitochondrial respiration. It can inhibit abnormal cell division, but promote normal cell division. It can facilitate learning, while preventing excitotoxic nerve injury. It reduces clotting, but it can decrease excessive menstrual bleeding. These, and many other strangely beneficial effects of aspirin, strongly suggest that it is acting on very basic biological processes, in a coherent way.

In explaining aspirin's effects, as in explaining those of estrogen and progesterone, or polyunsaturated fats and vitamin E, I think we need concepts of a very broad sort, such as "stability and instability."

The unsaturated (n-6 and n-3) fats that accumulate in our tissues, instead of being part of the system for reestablishing order and stability, tend to amplify the instability that is triggered by excitation, by estrogen, or by external stresses."

All supplements adversely impact the balance of our bodies. In liver vitamin A comes with vitamin E and vitamin K, B-vitamins occur in certain proportions, in protein zinc comes in certain ratios relative to other minerals, etc. and no amount of human analysis can ever exactly replicate the balance found in nature (I think milk is the most balanced food). So even though certain supplements might lower estrogen in the blood in the short-run, since they are subtly worsening the balance of the body, they are "estrogenic" in nature in the long-run.

GAF

The body's job is to sort out all the myriad of inputs of all kinds that an individual subjects it to for best results for the individual's needs at any given moment.

The individual's job is to make the body's job easy.

ANY food, supplements, Sunburn, poison, chugging pufa, or stabbing yourself in the head are varying degrees of the same thing.

Be gentle. Take it easy. Treat our bodies with sweetness and maybe it will be sweet in return.

tankasnowgod

Why does this thread remind me of this scene from Fight Club?

I know, in the Tibetan Philosophy/Sylvia Plath sense of the word, ALL supplements are estrogenic, but let's face it, aspirin and exemestane aren't estrogenic in the same way that Resverarol or Estroven are estrogenic.

This thread is a tourist.

Kingpinguin

Why does this thread remind me of this scene from Fight Club?

I know, in the Tibetan Philosophy/Sylvia Plath sense of the word, ALL supplements are estrogenic, but let's face it, aspirin and exemestane aren't estrogenic in the same way that Resverarol or Estroven are estrogenic.

This thread is a tourist.

Baam hit the nail on the head!!!

Nemo

True, but probably all supplements have the potential to be as estrogenic as resveratrol if you use them incorrectly, e.g. in too high a dose relative to your thyroid status and your calcium, magnesium, vit B, etc. status. Which I believe is the point lampofred is making, and it's a critically important point.

For example, when I first started taking aspirin based on Ray's recommendations, it made me deaf at any dose higher than a single baby aspirin a day. It was only as my thyroid status improved that I was able to take higher doses of aspirin without it causing deafness.

And look at the terrible side effects Bart has been having as he has tried to implement Ray's recommendations. I believe Bart is out of balance in exactly the way lampofred is talking about.

I think lampofred is right that all supplements should be approached with great caution.

Kingpinguin

True, but probably all supplements have the potential to be as estrogenic as resveratrol if you use them incorrectly, e.g. in too high a dose relative to your thyroid status and your calcium, magnesium, vit B, etc. status. Which I believe is the point lampofred is making, and it's a critically important point.

For example, when I first started taking aspirin based on Ray's recommendations, it made me deaf at any dose higher than a single baby aspirin a day. It was only as my thyroid status improved that I was able to take higher doses of aspirin without it causing deafness.

And look at the terrible side effects Bart has been having as he has tried to implement Ray's recommendations. I believe Bart is out of balance in exactly the way lampofred is talking about.

I think lampofred is right that all supplements should be approached with great caution.

supplements should be just exactly what the name implies. Supplement to your diet. There are very few things that can be supplemented but the approach to doing so should be just filling in the amount that is needed. Magnesium is a mineral I find beneficial to supplement everyonce in awhile. I can tell my muscle starts twitching a lot more when I get low and headaches appear. Taking magnesium it instantly goes away. Other supplements that can be considered is vitamin K2 since it is something thats more absent today, vitamin D if you are in a cloudy country and vitamin E if you dont eat very PUFA restricted diet. If you eat very low PUFA like ray says its probably not even needed. Those 4 are the ones I tend to use om and off with great results. The rest is achievable with diet. I don’t find many other things beneficial. I personally don’t like or see any benefit from aspirin. So I dont take that. Most other compounds you see on this forum should not be used regularly. Only when one is sick as in not in a good place. Taking hormones and steroids will just mask the underlying problems.

Daniil

I agree with the title. In exception of aspirin low dose and taurine, its are all estrogenic imho. But it's something more difficult than described here.