Supplement Usage

Jsaute21

I feel as if a frustrating mistake that many of us make on our way to attaining "supreme health" is supplement abuse. I am someone who has always been fascinated by supplements. Mainly, for sports performance and strength maximization as a former athlete. My supplement usage everyday lately has been taurine, tyromax, cynomel, oxidal. About 3-4x a week has been androsterone, stressnon, energin and cascara. These are all wonderful supplements, but my pulse and temps are not raising on any of them other than tyromax. When they do, it is very temporary. Tyromax is the one that seems to raise pulse & temp noticeably, facilitating a very productive 2/3 hours at work, until pulse drops lower than usual. Will go from 78 at 830 AM to 52 at 10:30 AM. Pretty strange. I should note that i have noticed improved symptoms with almost all of them including effortless muscle definition, improved bowel movements, mental work output at certain times, etc. Caffeine is also used every day in high doses.

I honestly categorize the reason for the over indulgence with the supplements as fascination with pulse & temp. If both are low, i have trouble not taking the kitchen counter approach to fixing it. I think the only supplement i should use occasionally for the next two weeks or so is tyromax. It feels very natural to me, and almost void filling. The others seem to lower cortisol and lead to ups/downs, and less steady energy. I know @haidut, @lisaferraro and many others went through a period of taking excess supplements, but i am interested in seeing methods that helped expedite healing metabolism, as well as becoming less obsessive about it. I saw a post from @tca300 talking about how people are fascinated with his drive. I have always gotten a similar compliment. My issue is usually too much effort opposed to not enough.

cyclops

I'm an everything but the kitchen sink guy myself. I recently took a few days off everything and felt like crap. Now back on everything and feel a little less crappy with some highs here and there.

Caffeine is also used every day in high doses.

How much caffeine?

OP
J

Jsaute21

I'm an everything but the kitchen sink guy myself. I recently took a few days off everything and felt like crap. Now back on everything and feel a little less crappy with some highs here and there.

How much caffeine?

My issue is i don't feel like crap when i don't take any supplements. I have never measured my pulse and temp when i am completely caffeine free but i imagine it is still a low. I just am a bit obsessed with maximizing health and monitoring it. I can tell many on here suffer from the same thing. I would say my caffeine intake ranges from 500 MG -1,000 MG. Closer to 500 most days. 1 Nutrabio pill, 3 coffees generally. I don't feel terrible really any day. I don't have anxiety or depression or any of that jazz. Just get obsessive once i see low pulse and temps due to information overload. I am one of the least hypothyroid looking people you can find not to be obnoxious. I think we all guilty of viewing our own situation as extremely unique and complex, but i do believe mine is lol.

Peatful

The "simplest" approach would be zero supplements to start...with 7 to 8 balanced "meals" a day...with macros 40/30/30 to stabilize blood sugar.
Josh Rubin and possibly Kate deering speak of this.
Then...slowly add supplements back in on an as needed basis...to do just that....supplement in what diet can't meet. ex. Needing some extra T3 or occasional casgara.

OP
J

Jsaute21

The "simplest" approach would be zero supplements to start...with 7 to 8 balanced "meals" a day...with macros 40/30/30 to stabilize blood sugar.
Then...slowly add supplements back in on an as needed basis...to do just that....supplement in what diet can't meet. ex. Needing some extra T3 or occasional casgara.

Yeah, good advice. I like to think i am past the point of 7/8 meals a day. When i started my Peat journey, i did need this much nourishment. Within about half a year, i was able to cut it down to 5 or so. But good advice otherwise. Food is more important and healing than supplements.

Broken man

Caffeine, cypro, thiamine, riboflavin, taurine, magnesium and good diet are all things what I need and I am using every day.

L

lollipop

Hi @Jsaute21,

I started off with more supplements and think it made a HUGE difference as I transitioned from a very low carb VLC/paleo. Now after 2.5 years on Peat inspired “lifestyle”, I simply feel no need for supplementation as my metabolism kicked in and I figured out what works for me with diet.

For coffee, I have 2 glasses a day for breakfast and lunch and feel no need for more. I also have learned the difference between stress driven metabolism that is speedy-like versus energy-generative driven metabolism which is steady, calm, energized, positivity, all day. Food supplies that healthy metabolism.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Hi @Jsaute21,

I started off with more supplements and think it made a HUGE difference as I transitioned from a very low carb VLC/paleo. Now after 2.5 years on Peat inspired “lifestyle”, I simply feel no need for supplementation as my metabolism kicked in and I figured out what works for me with diet.

For coffee, I have 2 glasses a day for breakfast and lunch and feel no need for more. I also have learned the difference between stress driven metabolism that is speedy-like versus energy-generative driven metabolism which is steady, calm, energized, positivity, all day. Food supplies that healthy metabolism.

Well said per usual @lisaferraro. You have two coffees with both breakfast and lunch, or one at each meal?

Frankdee20

If I ate 7-8 balanced meals a day, even low calorie, I'd be gaining weight. My metabolism wouldn't support that, my BMI is 29 as it is. God bless if you can, but I'm old.

cyclops

If I ate 7-8 balanced meals a day, even low calorie, I'd be gaining weight. My metabolism wouldn't support that, my BMI is 29 as it is. God bless if you can, but I'm old.

Not if each "meal" was only say 200 calories (or whatever amount of calories works)

Frankdee20

Kind of funny though, I'm not binge eating, and only eat when hungry.
Not if each "meal" was only say 200 calories (or whatever amount of calories works)

I guess, but I'd find that too disciplined of an approach, and I may be satiated after 3-4 perhaps. I don't have much energy expenditure these days, as I'm a couch potato. Interesting though, I find my craving for food is now stable. I only eat out of hunger, not because it's time for dinner or lunch or whatever. Something has improved, I used to be ravenous and raid the cabinets/fridge all the time.

T

tca300

The longer I learn and experiment, the less supplements I use regularly, probably because I feel good now, but Its nice to know how certain supplements can help in various situations and keep them in my back pocket so-to-speak for emergencies or sick family members.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals