Cosmetics

scarlettsmum

What is the view here on personal care products and how important is what you use? How "dangerous" is pantene pro v, l'oreal, nail polishes, shellac nail gel, deodorants....Aren't we already doing enough by eating well? isn't obsessing about personal care products taking it too far? What about the excitement and joy of going shopping for a new lipstick, having my nails done, not stressing about sweating and hob in the summer? Is pufa in cosmetics a real concern, e.g. soy bean oil in my hair conditioner? Wouldn't the stress of stressing about cosmetics do more damage than just buying and using "normal" stuff? Just curious what you watch out for and what you are concerned about.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
:welcome scarlettsmum.

Those are interesting questions. I think you can find some older threads on the topic by searching the forum. I personally make a lot of my own skin care products but I also use some commercial things too. When my health was really poor many store bought products irritated my skin but now I can use about anything with out having a problem. I'm still particular about avoiding certain additives and oils but it's based more on ideology rather than a pressing need to avoid irritation these days.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Nicholas

scarlettsmum said:
post 103880 What is the view here on personal care products and how important is what you use? How "dangerous" is pantene pro v, l'oreal, nail polishes, shellac nail gel, deodorants....Aren't we already doing enough by eating well? isn't obsessing about personal care products taking it too far? What about the excitement and joy of going shopping for a new lipstick, having my nails done, not stressing about sweating and hob in the summer? Is pufa in cosmetics a real concern, e.g. soy bean oil in my hair conditioner? Wouldn't the stress of stressing about cosmetics do more damage than just buying and using "normal" stuff? Just curious what you watch out for and what you are concerned about.

peat has said that using soap is more dangerous than using city water because the soap changes the hormonal environment of your skin. don't quote me. i think that someone can make a few simple changes to cosmetic/hygeine products that is not stressful and focus on nutrition to combat the rest. for example, i use a pufa shaving cream. but i rarely use shampoo or soap, and rely on straight baking soda as a deoderant. my hair feels healthier when i only use water and it also is more evident if diet is off when the quality of my hair changes that shampoo and conditioner would otherwise mask. rarely use toothpaste, either but dry brush (this is actually recommended by holistic dentists) and occasional oil pulling if i'm having tooth buildup. not related to toxicity, but i find that the less products the easier it is to gauge one's health.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Regarding soaping up the skin:

anon said:
"What about the fluoride in showering/bath water? Is that of concern?

Also, should one eat only eat organic foods to avoid getting fluoride in the body to interfere with thyroid function? If one cannot do so, what do you suggest if iodine supplementation is not a good idea?"

Ray Peat said:
"I don't think it's a problem. The soaps and shampoos people use are worse problems. Just washing the skin with pure soap alters the skin's endocrine function for days. and doing it every day is an "endocrine disrupter," even if there are no toxic additives in the soap."

Source

Joocy_J

I don't use any of the products you listed so I am good.

For toothpaste I use baking soda + coconut oil.
I don't use soap or shampoo or deodorant.
I shave with an electric.

P.s. your hair will be much better without shampoo dead serious try it

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Blossom said:
post 103884 :welcome scarlettsmum.

Those are interesting questions. I think you can find some older threads on the topic by searching the forum. I personally make a lot of my own skin care products but I also use some commercial things too. When my health was really poor many store bought products irritated my skin but now I can use about anything with out having a problem. I'm still particular about avoiding certain additives and oils but it's based more on ideology rather than a pressing need to avoid irritation these days.

Hi Blossom,

I found your old thread about previously using retin-A. That scared me a bit as I have been using it too and feel disappointed that it has such negative side effects. I thought it was completely harmless...How do you tackle/prevent wrinkles these days? I have ordered solban for day use and was hoping to use estroban in the morning until I read Haidut's explanation where he warns against using it all over the face since one could OD on the vitamins.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thanks for sharing your views everyone. I would love to go without shampoo but as has been said here by others, it is impossible with long, fine hair. I have tried no poo shampoo and baking soda and vinegar and actually felt that the vinegar rinses and baking soda were really harsh on my hair.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
scarlettsmum said:
post 103909
Blossom said:
post 103884 :welcome scarlettsmum.

Hi Blossom,

I found your old thread about previously using retin-A. That scared me a bit as I have been using it too and feel disappointed that it has such negative side effects. I thought it was completely harmless...How do you tackle/prevent wrinkles these days? I have ordered solban for day use and was hoping to use estroban in the morning until I read Haidut's explanation where he warns against using it all over the face since one could OD on the vitamins.
I don't think I have too many wrinkles now that I'm well nourished and my metabolism has improved. I try to exfoliate once a week with a paste made from baking soda and distilled water. For moisturizing I just use a mist that I make with rose water or distilled water and glycerin and at night I sometimes apply a small amount of jojoba. I feel red light helps too. I've never asked Peat specifically about skincare I just do what works for my skin and doesn't seem damaging.

Stilgar

Ray definitely thinks silica is a problem, and it is found in many cosmetics. Recently gave mine up, its hard getting used to my natural face after so long using foundation. :shock:

I asked him about clays (which are silicates), and he said he didn't think they were a problem.

tara

I tend to distinguish personal care from cosmetics.
If the aim is personal care - moisturisers, teeth cleaning etc, then it makes sense to use things that will do more good than harm to health.
If the aim is fashion and fun - cosmetics - lipstick, etc, then you decide about the trade-offs where they conflict.

I don't think you have to change everything to be completely non-toxic if it just seems like a worry and a hassle.
I think whether particular habits you enjoy now are worth changing depends on:
1. how sensitive/robust you are
2. how toxic the substances are
3. how big your systemic exposure is

For instance:
I doubt nail polish gets absorbed through nails, but probably good to have really good ventilation to reduce solvent inhalation when applying and removing.
Unless the hair conditioner is noticably bothering you, and if it's only on for a couple of minutes every few days, that's probably no a big deal. What goes into your hair itself after it's grown - PUFA or not - is not a a systemic issue for the rest of you - it's just about what it does to/for your hair, so suit yourself. I do know people who have to avoid some common chemicals used in shampoos etc (eg SLS, - sodium lauryl sulph ...?) because they get irritated skin from them.
Body lotion that you apply to large areas of skin and that stays there for hours is likely to absorb a lot - personally, I'd avoid high PUFA for this.
If you risk eating your lipstick, and you wear it every day, I'd check that it's not too toxic. If it's just occasional, then it's less important.
I got super intolerant about unpleasant chemical smells when I was pregnant, and am still a bit intolerant of some.

If you are generally robust, then a reasonable diet may be enough. Obviously someone suffering from multiple chemical sensitivities will have to be a lot more careful.

Personally, I have reacted badly to most commercial deodorants, so I now use a coconut oil+ baking soda + essential oil mix.
I'm using my own mix for general skin moisturiser, basically a mix of mostly saturated fats.

Luann

I am grateful to have found some beauty brands that serve ladies who look for healthy products.

All of these brands offer make-up without nano-particles and certain other chemicals. To me, it is very important to avoid nano-particles especially because they may be absorbed through our skin.

Here's the list: Rejuva minerals (I bought their mascara and it's good), Earth's beauty, and alima Pure. alima Pure has a shout-out in the blog The Everygirl and I can't wait to buy from them.

Back
Top Bottom