Female Corner

Dotdash

@alywest and @lisaferraro: Thank you both for sharing your thoughts. I've been following Peat since 2012. Have used a variety of thyroid meds, including cytomel/cynomel, tyromax, Naturethroid, and currently Nutrimeds. So far, this is the only one that keeps the TSH below 1 while maintaining a slightly above mid-range T4 ad T3. Temps/pulse average 97.7 to 98 in mornings. I take A, D, E, K and eat liver weekly, and keep the PUFA intake low. In the beginning of this journey there was a great deal of re-growth, now it is minimal, and I wasn't taking any supps or thyroid. For a week I've been using 1mg cyproheptadine at night. It certainly helps diminish the histamine and has given good sound sleep. I've heard this may help with hair loss. I hesitate to utilize much aspirin as tinnitus is already an existing problem. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

mae

Very much appreciate this thread. Learning what works for other females is so helpful. Being menopausal and hypothyroid I'm still navigating hair loss issues and dry skin. It would be nice to hear from other menopausal women who have successful ideas in these areas. Thank you Blossom!
Hi I'm in menopause now and besides the diet changes like eating lots of carbs, enough protein and watching polyunsaturated fat I've found a few supplements super helpful. Thyroid, Progest-E, aspirin, glycine (hot flashes) and pansterone for stress urinary incontinence.

My latest and most beneficial addition has been Gonadin. I've only been using it for about a month but it's been a real game changer for me. I'm not sure if it would be the same for other people but I feel physically and mentally stronger and I've lost a lot of bloating that I didn't realize I was carrying around. I've had a few conversations with haidut and I think it might be the aromatase inhibition that's helping. I just did some hormone labs so I'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks about my hormones but I'm feeling great lately. I suspect I might be cycling again so we shall see!?!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Very much appreciate this thread. Learning what works for other females is so helpful. Being menopausal and hypothyroid I'm still navigating hair loss issues and dry skin. It would be nice to hear from other menopausal women who have successful ideas in these areas. Thank you Blossom!
I'm curious if you have had your prolactin and vitamin D levels checked recently? I've experience hair loss from both elevated prolactin and low vitamin D at different times in my life. Hair loss seems to be one of those tricky issues but I think high prolactin and vitamin D deficiency are two common culprits.

Dotdash

Hi I'm in menopause now and besides the diet changes like eating lots of carbs, enough protein and watching polyunsaturated fat I've found a few supplements super helpful. Thyroid, Progest-E, aspirin, glycine (hot flashes) and pansterone for stress urinary incontinence.

My latest and most beneficial addition has been Gonadin. I've only been using it for about a month but it's been a real game changer for me. I'm not sure if it would be the same for other people but I feel physically and mentally stronger and I've lost a lot of bloating that I didn't realize I was carrying around. I've had a few conversations with haidut and I think it might be the aromatase inhibition that's helping. I just did some hormone labs so I'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks about my hormones but I'm feeling great lately. I suspect I might be cycling again so we shall see!?!

Thank you. I have Progest-E, Pansterone, Cortinon, and MitoLipin. The only one I use daily is MitoLipin for the Vitamin E. Sometimes the hormone formulas, including Progest-E, exacerbate the hair loss. Cannot understand why, but that's the way it is. Most of the early menopause issues have resolved. I am 15 years into this, and am thankful for all the help RP ideas have provided to make this a smooth transition. I have been looking at the different Idea Labs products & reading Haidut's posts about them. Will read up on the Gonadin.

L

lollipop

@mae very interesting about Gonadin. I think @Regina used it successfully as well. Following this. Thank you for posting.

Dotdash

I'm curious if you have had your prolactin and vitamin D levels checked recently? I've experience hair loss from both elevated prolactin and low vitamin D at different times in my life. Hair loss seems to be one of those tricky issues but I think high prolactin and vitamin D deficiency are two common culprits.

Yes to both. There is fluctuation up/down but most recent tests in January 2018 showed D at 48, and Prolactin at 12. The Prolactin has been as low as 6 but still the hair shed was not abated.

L

lollipop

Thank you. I have Progest-E, Pansterone, Cortinon, and MitoLipin. The only one I use daily is MitoLipin for the Vitamin E. Sometimes the hormone formulas, including Progest-E, exacerbate the hair loss. Cannot understand why, but that's the way it is. Most of the early menopause issues have resolved. I am 15 years into this, and am thankful for all the help RP ideas have provided to make this a smooth transition. I have been looking at the different Idea Labs products & reading Haidut's posts about them. Will read up on the Gonadin.
How do you like Mitolipin? I also use regularly. My body seems to like it...

Dotdash

How do you like Mitolipin? I also use regularly. My body seems to like it...

I like it very much. Thus far I'm using 6 drops topically, which should be around 90 IU Vitamin E. Since I've had issues with larger amounts of "E" that is the amount I'm starting with. I recently was trimming shrubs and got into a bunch of covered up briars. I put my usual Mitolipin amount at night on my inner forearms and was amazed at how quickly the briar scratches healed. Truly, it was almost overnight from bleeding to invisible. I've also been using it on my sparse eyebrows and see new hairs appearing. If it wasn't so gooey I'd put it all over my scalp. (Ha) Adele Davis advocated menopausal women would benefit from 600IU daily, and I'm slowly trying to work up to that. With hypo condition it sounds encouraging that Vit E reduces the oxygen requirement.

L

lollipop

I like it very much. Thus far I'm using 6 drops topically, which should be around 90 IU Vitamin E. Since I've had issues with larger amounts of "E" that is the amount I'm starting with. I recently was trimming shrubs and got into a bunch of covered up briars. I put my usual Mitolipin amount at night on my inner forearms and was amazed at how quickly the briar scratches healed. Truly, it was almost overnight from bleeding to invisible. I've also been using it on my sparse eyebrows and see new hairs appearing. If it wasn't so gooey I'd put it all over my scalp. (Ha) Adele Davis advocated menopausal women would benefit from 600IU daily, and I'm slowly trying to work up to that. With hypo condition it sounds encouraging that Vit E reduces the oxygen requirement.
Very interesting! Thank you for sharing. Great idea about your eyebrows :):

I have used it for that very dry skin by the ankles that comes from sitting on the floor in one position for too long. It worked fast.

L

lollipop

Also I wanted to post my resource for the mango, Shea, and kokum butters. They are certified organic. They do not say on products but in product description, it is mentioned:

Wild Herb Soap Co.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes to both. There is fluctuation up/down but most recent tests in January 2018 showed D at 48, and Prolactin at 12. The Prolactin has been as low as 6 but still the hair shed was not abated.
Gosh, it sounds like you've covered all the Peat basics. I hope you can get to the bottom of this as I know it is distressing! Hair loss is so tricky.

My mom is in very poor health and she has the most thick beautiful hair I've seen on a woman of 69 with hardly any gray. It truly puzzles me. She has no teeth, terrible looking skin, severe osteoporosis, end stage lung disease and looks around 20 years older than her actual age yet still has gorgeous hair. It just makes me wonder...

I've seen that with other people too both male and female when I was consulting in long term care. Really ill people unable to live independently yet still had lots of thick lush hair. Not that any of that helps you but I guess given a choice I'd choose health over hair any day! I'd prefer both though as I'm sure you would too.
Hopefully someone chimes in with other ideas.

Dotdash

Gosh, it sounds like you've covered all the Peat basics. I hope you can get to the bottom of this as I know it is distressing! Hair loss is so tricky.

My mom is in very poor health and she has the most thick beautiful hair I've seen on a woman of 69 with hardly any gray. It truly puzzles me. She has no teeth, terrible looking skin, severe osteoporosis, end stage lung disease and looks around 20 years older than her actual age yet still has gorgeous hair. It just makes me wonder...

I've seen that with other people too both male and female when I was consulting in long term care. Really ill people unable to live independently yet still had lots of thick lush hair. Not that any of that helps you but I guess given a choice I'd choose health over hair any day! I'd prefer both though as I'm sure you would too.

Yes, yes, and yes. I know exactly what you're saying and have seen puzzling evidence myself of mature persons with full heads of hair eating the most non-peaty things. I wonder if we can get a grant to study this? Half serious, half teasing. Maybe we can enlist Dr Peat's help.

Peatful

Fascinating observation regarding hair.

If they are 65 and above, they probably grew up sans PUFA age (except Crisco?); mostly home cooking from local food sources. And simply low stress types regardless of their physical health?
My MIL has gorgeous hair, is an under eater, but high sugar (sweet tea all day long), but is low stress and smokes to keep her stress low.
Go figure....

alywest

I just wanted to point out again that there is a vast difference in the way that progest-e and progesterone creams are utilized by the body, and it actually seems that many if not most women prefer the way that the creams cause you to absorb the progesterone into the fat and then it's released slowly. The oil can be a really intense dose for some, and if it's not maintained by taking regular doses throughout the day it doesn't necessarily stay in the bloodstream very long. Just my .02, I know a lot of people on this website gravitate towards progest-e style progesterone because of the recommendations from Peat himself. There is another Dr. named John Lee and he claims the cream is really the only way to go except for sleep.

Jennifer

Perfect! Thanks a bunch, @Peatful and @Blossom!

And thank you for the update, @lisaferraro!

There is another Dr. named John Lee and he claims the cream is really the only way to go except for sleep.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand, Dr. John Lee was Ray's student. Not that that has anything to do with progesterone cream versus Progest-E, but yeah...lol

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
If they are 65 and above, they probably grew up sans PUFA age (except Crisco?);
Yes Crisco was a staple growing up but I suppose since it was fully hydrogenated it was less harmful than the liquid corn oil we switched over to using in the 80's.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, yes, and yes. I know exactly what you're saying and have seen puzzling evidence myself of mature persons with full heads of hair eating the most non-peaty things. I wonder if we can get a grant to study this? Half serious, half teasing. Maybe we can enlist Dr Peat's help.
I'd love to see it studied too. Sometimes I wonder if having a really low or impaired metabolism could prolong the hair cycle due to less available energy and cause the body to try to conserve hair in a futile attempt to preserve heat. This is just wild speculation and mental meanderings on my part.

Peata

Hey Everyone.

Thanks for the thread, Blossom.

My first observation that hopefully helps someone else: Aspirin has been probably the fastest “chill pill” I have used. Now, full transparency, I do not use any medications stronger than Aspirin, NDT, and Progest-e.

When that internal “urrrgh” is strong, Aspirin works within 20 min. I use it with milk - 6 oz and never have had stomach issues. Between years 1 and 2.5 of Peat inspired lifestyle, I needed Aspirin several times a week. Now maybe once every few weeks. I use it at night to help sleep.

How much aspirin? Just one 325 mg. pill?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals