Estrogen May Be The Main Driver Of Western World Obesity

haidut

Forum Supporter
The fancier name these days is xenoestrogens, and they are everywhere around us as I posted in another thread. The message seems to be getting stronger in mainstream media that simply overeating is probably not the main cause of obesity.
Most of the xenoestrogens bind to both the thyroid "receptor" (as antagonists) and all estrogen "receptors" (as full agonists), so taking thyroid hormone and vitamin E (known estrogen "receptor" antagonist) seems like a reasonable approach to limit the damage. Given how unavoidable these xenoestrogens are (i.e. food, drinks, water pipes, carpets, clothes, bed sheets, etc) damage controls seems to be the only reasonable strategy.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0099776
http://www.mdconnects.com/articles/1789/20140613/female-hormones-making-western-men-fat.htm
Report - Female Hormones May Be Making Western Men Fat

"...Female hormones may be partly responsible for the increasing obesity rate among men, according to a new study. Researchers from the University of Adelaide believe that exposure to estrogen may be fueling the male obesity epidemic. Experts explain that exposure to common substances found in affluent societies like soy products and plastics, which contain the female sex hormone, are making Western men fat. The study compared Gross Domestic Product and obesity rates among men and women worldwide. While it was normal for women in developing countries to have significantly higher rates of obesity, the findings revealed little difference between sex and obesity in the western world. "Hormonally driven weight gain occurs more significantly in females than in males, and this is very clear when we look at the rates of obesity in the developing world," researcher James Grantham said in a news release. "However, in the Western world, such as in the United States, Europe and Australia, the rates of obesity between men and women are much closer. In some Western nations, male obesity is greater than female obesity," he added."

Last edited:

narouz

Do you have an inclination, haidut--
toward either the internally produced estrogens,
or the external ones--
as having the greater impact on human health?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
Do you have an inclination, haidut--
toward either the internally produced estrogens,
or the external ones--
as having the greater impact on human health?

I think external and internal estrogens can't really be separated. I know people who moved from developing country to a developed/rich one and in just a few years turned from thin as a stick to overweight. So, the xenoestrogens probably played a major role since these people did not seem estrogen-dominant before emigrating. That being said, exposure to xenostrogens also boosts endogenous estrogen production (especially in the case of substances like BPA) so it's a double punch. Once the endogenous production of estrogen has been stimulated, it's a vicious circle from that point on. On the positive side, I have seen people reverse hormone-driven obesity...by moving back to a rural, stress-free environment. Doing that probably reduces both the exposure to xenoestrogens and the endogenous estrogen production due to stress.

Momado965

@haidut Whats the best thing to do, besides taking t3, if I ate something containing shreds of plastic in food?

InChristAlone

Yeah my Mom was normal weight her whole life until menopause now she's considered obese by waist measurement. And mainstream says this is lack of estradiol lol.

L

lollipop

Yeah my Mom was normal weight her whole life until menopause now she's considered obese by waist measurement. And mainstream says this is lack of estradiol lol.
I am perimenopausal and never had much weight problems until the last few years. I am certain a mixture of hormones, stress/cortisol, and years of restricted diets catching up with me.

Because of Ray, I have not struggled with “normal” symptoms like many flashes etc. Really, weight was/is the main issue and it didn’t help coming off very low carb <20 gms of carbs for like two years (oh my how dumb really) and ramping up carbs without backing off the high fat intake. Maybe someone reading this will not need to learn that the hard way.