Female Corner

HDD

Great thread, @Blossom! @Dotdash, I’m post menopausal and have thinning hair and dry skin. When I notice dryer skin on my legs and arms, I assume I’m lacking something. I used to think I needed vitamin A, but lately I wonder if it’s a b6 deficiency. The dry skin reminds me to take vitamin A, D, Energin, and check my temps. For me, I think it comes with winter when I tend to have more hypo symptoms.

Pompadour

Very much appreciate this thread. Learning what works for other females is so helpful. Being menopausal and hypothyroid I'm still navigating hair loss issues and dry skin. It would be nice to hear from other menopausal women who have successful ideas in these areas. Thank you Blossom!
@Dotdash, i have a recipe that works very well for me and my mom. My mother has very thin hair the whole her life (i suspect she has PCOS and sluggish thyroid). When she transitioned to menopause her hair have started to fall out even more, even bald areas showed. And this receipe helped her to stop falling out of hair and even to promote some regrowth. Though it needs time - a few months (my mom uses it 3 months, following 3 months pause).

1 part of hot red pepper tincture
5 parts of vodka or water - but with water it can be more "hot" for the scalp (my mom uses water now)
+ optional (if you prefer - i make it both with or without) essential oils 40-50 drops for every 200ml of prepared tincture (i use bay and peppermint - Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs. - PubMed - NCBI)

My mom makes it now very simple: only hot pepper tincture + water. With water it is better to keep the lotion in frige.

One should apply it on scalp every evening with light massage. After about 2-3 month the regrowth is visible and i hope it will go on so.
Be prudent to massage this only in scalp and try not to wet hair too much, because it can dry the hair too much.

I like that this lotion doesn't make hair greasy. It dryes quickly and after that you just have your normal hair.

Dotdash

Great thread, @Blossom! @Dotdash, I’m post menopausal and have thinning hair and dry skin. When I notice dryer skin on my legs and arms, I assume I’m lacking something. I used to think I needed vitamin A, but lately I wonder if it’s a b6 deficiency. The dry skin reminds me to take vitamin A, D, Energin, and check my temps. For me, I think it comes with winter when I tend to have more hypo symptoms.

I associated the dryness with lack of "A" and emailed Dr Peat concerning our "nation of super hydrated dry people." He said the dry syndrome of eyes, mouth, skin, hair, etc is related to inadequate thyroid which could be corrected with a good quality THR. I thanked him but still feel like a dog chasing its tail. So, if dryness is indicative that thyroid is still an issue, yet blood work, temps/pulse are all in the optimal range with current meds - then what? The B6 interests me. When regrowth was occurring I was taking a 25 mg B Complex capsule daily along with daily egg and weekly liver. Also getting lots more sunshine. I now take a liquid B complex for children that has a smaller amount of all the B's per dose. Aiming for no more than 10mg B6 daily.

Dotdash

@Dotdash, i have a recipe that works very well for me and my mom. My mother has very thin hair the whole her life (i suspect she has PCOS and sluggish thyroid). When she transitioned to menopause her hair have started to fall out even more, even bald areas showed. And this receipe helped her to stop falling out of hair and even to promote some regrowth. Though it needs time - a few months (my mom uses it 3 months, following 3 months pause).

1 part of hot red pepper tincture
5 parts of vodka or water - but with water it can be more "hot" for the scalp (my mom uses water now)
+ optional (if you prefer - i make it both with or without) essential oils 40-50 drops for every 200ml of prepared tincture (i use bay and peppermint - Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs. - PubMed - NCBI)

My mom makes it now very simple: only hot pepper tincture + water. With water it is better to keep the lotion in frige.

One should apply it on scalp every evening with light massage. After about 2-3 month the regrowth is visible and i hope it will go on so.
Be prudent to massage this only in scalp and try not to wet hair too much, because it can dry the hair too much.

I like that this lotion doesn't make hair greasy. It dryes quickly and after that you just have your normal hair.

Thank you. How very interesting. That almost sounds like what RP says about injury to the scalp promoting hair growth. I use Pure Herbs tinctures like Cascara and Arnica, but know they also carry a cayenne pepper tincture. Is this what you're referring to?

Dotdash

I just wanted to point out again that there is a vast difference in the way that progest-e and progesterone creams are utilized by the body, and it actually seems that many if not most women prefer the way that the creams cause you to absorb the progesterone into the fat and then it's released slowly. The oil can be a really intense dose for some, and if it's not maintained by taking regular doses throughout the day it doesn't necessarily stay in the bloodstream very long. Just my .02, I know a lot of people on this website gravitate towards progest-e style progesterone because of the recommendations from Peat himself. There is another Dr. named John Lee and he claims the cream is really the only way to go except for sleep.

I agree the sleep is very much enhanced with P/E. One restless night I took a tsp orally and had the most calming sensation ever. I was so relaxed I could feel my blood pulsing in my fingers and toes and my breathing was incredibly perfect. I was deliberately trying to induce the anesthetic state RP speaks of because I was so wound up mentally. It was magic! However, every time I take even a small amount rubbed on gums my hair has a leave the premises fit. In theory, it should be enhancing thyroid - maybe it enhances mine too much. Dr Peat did say in an email that the P/E is best used on the skin with olive oil. So perhaps it depends, as with all things, the tolerance level of the individual.

Pompadour

they also carry a cayenne pepper tincture. Is this what you're referring to?
Yes! The only thing is that i bought the tincture in Russia and it says only Capsicum annuum - without naming precise subtype of hot pepper. I think chili or cayenne are what we need.
That almost sounds like what RP says about injury to the scalp promoting hair growth.
Exactly!

catan

@catan @Jennifer, my dear friend LOVES and swears by them :): I tried them and seem to be super convenient for at home or work environment to move about and attend to your personal needs. I do a type of work where I sit on the floor in all types of sitting positions and I sometimes work with people in Yoga. It seemed to make me nervous. It could have been wrong assumptions on my part.

@lisaferraro, what do you mean by making you nervous? I am still learning to pay attention to my own reactions to my experiments and think I am still not very sensitive.

L

lollipop

@lisaferraro, what do you mean by making you nervous? I am still learning to pay attention to my own reactions to my experiments and think I am still not very sensitive.
Warming! Maybe tmi here - lol

My concern: that as I am on the floor for my work, it could leak or smell as I can not always control my bathroom breaks.

SQu

I can probably use coconut oil instead of the tallow to keep it vegan, but now I need something to replace the beeswax with.
I think coconut oil will give you a similar effect, a bit lighter but you can adjust with the heavier things like cocoa butter. Replacing beeswax, I don't know but people have said stearic acid is waxy, maybe that is worth a try. Great suggestion @Pompadour
My periods are really light on my diet so I can get away with just pantyliners and even though the ones I use are 100% organic and biodegradable, I want something that creates the least amount of waste possible
Something I never knew existed is a reusable washable fabric pad. Where I live there was recently a drive to get these pads to girls who can't afford the usual disposable kind and lose out on school days as a result. It's a great idea. I bought one. I haven't tried it yet. But I'll let you know. If it does work you'd need a set. It closes like the wings do on normal pads, but using a press stud. I'll try post a pic.

IMG_20180326_153722_resized_20180326_033739026.jpg

Last edited:

HDD

still feel like a dog chasing its tail.

Yes, ha ha! I remember Peatarian saying if you take enough thyroid and progesterone your hair will stop falling out, unless you drink or smoke. And I also remember her or maybe Rayser saying that how much she needs is always changing due to many things. Whether it is available fruit, amount of sunlight, stress, etc. her requirements for supplements were always changing.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Something I never knew existed is a reusable washable fabric pad. Where I live there was recently a drive to get these pads to girls who can't afford the usual disposable kind and lose out on school days as a result. It's a great idea. I bought one. I haven't tried it yet. But I'll let you know. If it does work you'd need a set. It closes like the wings do on normal pads, but using a press stud. I'll try post a pic.
And panties with a built in absorbing pad too!!! I'll try to find a link. I sure wish they had these when I menstruated.

Jennifer

Cayenne is excellent for circulation! In the past I've used an herbal tincture called Brain & Nerve that works on circulation and regenerating nerves, especially in the head region, and it included cayenne. Now I only use one with ginger because I take the tinctures internally and found the cayenne was irritating my gut.

@Dotdash – How is your blood pressure, do you perspire and are your liver and kidneys healthy – no history of liver and/or kidney pains/stones or jaundice, and liver and kidney (creatinine) numbers are normal?

My hair sheds more during the winter when my adrenals are at their weakest or if I find myself unknowingly under-eating. The latter sometimes happens due to there being less ripe fruit available during the winter.

@SQu – Thank you so much! I have a couple reusable fabric pads saved in my Amazon cart. I've been questioning getting them because I saw a couple of complaints in the reviews about the snaps hanging because even the smallest size liner was too big for the panty so I'll be interested in hearing your experience with them.

Jennifer

And panties with a built in absorbing pad too!!! I'll try to find a link. I sure wish they had these when I menstruated.
Ahh...I think I came across some when looking at the reusable pads. I just thought they were regular panties. Thanks for mentioning them!

catan

I learned about these when I cloth diapered my kids. Google cloth pads or mama cloth. They’ve gotten fancier over the years! I used them for postpartum bleeding and in the few periods between children before getting the larger cup. My periods are lighter and the menstrual blood doesn’t smell as bad using these vs disposable pads.[/USER]

Lilly

So much good information in this thread I can't handle it!:D

I need advice on few things please. If you had certain limited amount of money what would be the most important labs that you would pay for to figure out what is wrong and how to proceed?

I have been low pufa and pro thyroid eating for 6 years now. I also used different supplements throughout the years. I can say that I made huge progress and solved most of the problems I had. But I still feel something is wrong, I suspect Hashimotos. My remaining bealth issues are food allergies and sleep troubles.

Dotdash

Cayenne is excellent for circulation! In the past I've used an herbal tincture called Brain & Nerve that works on circulation and regenerating nerves, especially in the head region, and it included cayenne. Now I only use one with ginger because I take the tinctures internally and found the cayenne was irritating my gut.

@Dotdash – How is your blood pressure, do you perspire and are your liver and kidneys healthy – no history of liver and/or kidney pains/stones or jaundice, and liver and kidney (creatinine) numbers are normal?

My hair sheds more during the winter when my adrenals are at their weakest or if I find myself unknowingly under-eating. The latter sometimes happens due to there being less ripe fruit available during the winter.

@SQu – Thank you so much! I have a couple reusable fabric pads saved in my Amazon cart. I've been questioning getting them because I saw a couple of complaints in the reviews about the snaps hanging because even the smallest size liner was too big for the panty so I'll be interested in hearing your experience with them.

I'm strongly thinking some improved circulation would help. I had Bells Palsy on the right side of my face many, many years ago but still feel lingering effects of numbness from time to time. Meaning to me, swelling in that area - internally, not visible externally. Email to RP - "thyroid" the answer. Blood pressure used to be consistently low but is more in a normal range now. Blood work for liver and kidney is in normal range and has been that way for many years. Cholesterol and Triglycerides had been pretty high even with thyroid meds. Jan 2018 test was 153 for LDL, 58 for HDL, and 148 Trigs. Total Cholesterol of 241. These are improved (downward) numbers. I perspire more now than I used to.

Peata

Interesting @Dolomite, just as you posted this, I wanted to come post how after putting some on my skin while I was making it, caused me about 30 min later to be ravenous. Like really hungry. I must not have had enough food. I actually craved fat interestingly enough, so I had a few rice cakes with butter.

I am finding this increase in metabolism fascinating. I haven’t had a stress reaction yet, but will be on the look out. Thank you for posting this :):
Thanks for the reply on aspirin. I was just curious.

For a week or so, I was eating a little pure cocoa butter for stearic acid, and it also made me more hungry for fat. I gained some weight and had to stop eating cocoa butter. I use it on my skin now and then.