Female Corner

Peata

Also, has anyone tried a menstrual cup? My periods are really light on my diet so I can get away with just pantyliners and even though the ones I use are 100% organic and biodegradable, I want something that creates the least amount of waste possible and thought about the menstrual cup. My only concern has been whether or not it's okay to have silicone in me 24/7 for a couple days straight each month. In a Peaty view, is silicone safe?

I used one years ago and liked it. IIRC I had a leak once or twice when I was unable to empty it for a long time. But otherwise it seemed fine and no problems. I think one reason I stopped with it was because I was worried about the suction and weight effect on the cervix/uterus. As in, what if over time that caused a sort of prolapse condition? Although thinking now, maybe it would be the opposite and cause more tone and strength. At any rate, I stopped using it after so long, also perhaps because my periods nearly stopped for a number of years and it was just easier to use a pad. I wondered about the silicone too, but it seems like there's a trade off with everything.

Last edited:
OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I used one years ago and liked it. IIRC I had a leak once or twice when I was unable to empty it for a long time. But otherwise it seemed fine and no problems. I think one reason I stopped with it was because I was worried about the suction and weight effect on the cervix/uterus. As in, what if over time that caused a sort of prolapse condition? Although thinking now, maybe it would be the opposite and cause more tone and strength. At any rate, I stopped using it after so long, also perhaps because my periods nearly stopped for a number of years and it was just easier to use a pad. I wondered about the silicone too, but it seems like there's a trade off with everything.
Some women use them to help support a prolapse.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Lunapads look even better then THINX, because their model is made of cotton - must be more pleasant for the body.
I didn't even notice that but it's a good point.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Here's an alternative to tampons (not vegan) that some women use to reduce waste. They also work for supporting a prolapse in certain situations. There is a synthetic version available as well.
Sea Pearls Reusable Sea Sponges

alywest

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand, Dr. John Lee was Ray's student. Not that that has anything to do with progesterone cream versus Progest-E, but yeah...lol

Yeah it sounds like Dr. Lee and Dr. Peat have some differences. I have been looking into it more and I'm going to try rectal and/or vaginal delivery of progesterone. Many people complain of yeast infections with the vaginal method, however I suspect these people are actually not estrogen dominant. I haven't had a yeast infection since I was 21 (17 years ago if anyone wants to know.) And I've never used special yeast infection products or anything like that. I can keep the thread updated if I develop one after applying progesterone this way. Again I am using the cream so it probably makes a difference. There are more ingredients to interfere with pH levels and all that. But according to Dr. Mercola (I know, I know) using the cream on skin for too long can actually lead to a buildup of progesterone in the fat cells causing a progesterone overload. I fortunately have only been using the cream that way for a couple of weeks, and while I like it I don't want to get to the point where it's going to be potentially throwing me off in the other direction!

Here's an alternative to tampons (not vegan) that some women use to reduce waste. They also work for supporting a prolapse in certain situations. There is a synthetic version available as well.
Sea Pearls Reusable Sea Sponges

This. Is. Awesome.

HDD

I just used a small amount of cocoa butter (leftover from making baby balms) after my shower and I’m burning up! Temp 99+!

L

lollipop

I just used a small amount of cocoa butter (leftover from making baby balms) after my shower and I’m burning up! Temp 99+!
Right?!?! What is this? and as @Peata mentioned above she craved fat after putting on. I did too what is this? Peata or @HDD do you know? Anyone else?

HDD

@lisaferraro Displacing pufa? Idk...definitely bumps the metabolism up. I grabbed a Pepsi and a cheese stick to prevent possible blood sugar crash.

Pompadour

after my shower and I’m burning up! Temp 99+!
Strange effect. Cocoa butter contains (according to Aroma-Zone) oleic acid ~ 30%, stearic acid ~30% , palmitic acid ~30% and linoleic acid ~3%. And Vitamin E, phytosterols (beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol, campesterol) and squalene. What in it can be so heating? :wideyed:

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I love rubbing the cocoa butter all over after a nice warm bath. It's so relaxing. Now that I think about it I had a craving for cottage cheese and honey last night right afterwards!
@lisaferraro Displacing pufa? Idk...definitely bumps the metabolism up. I grabbed a Pepsi and a cheese stick to prevent possible blood sugar crash.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It seems like the sea sponge with a reusable pad or period panties could be a good combination. Almost makes me wish I had the opportunity to try it out myself!:lol:

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Good post on hair loss:
I have not looked at those studies yet, but as far as rubbing fat I think you are on the right track but the real reason it helps is because it raises succinic acid in the scalp and succinic acid raises ATP. It is the ATP that is apparently vital for hair growth and this is why we added succinic acid to SolBan recently. It also suggests that Cardenosine may help with hair growth topically.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.1993.tb00592.x/abstract
"...The effect of the glyceride of pentadecanoic acid (PDG) in treating male pattern alopecia has already been confirmed in a double blind controlled clinical test. In order to study the mechanism of the hair growing effect of PDG, ATP levels were measured in the hair follicles of rabbits. The ATP levels in telogen hair follicles increased remarkably with the application of PDG. To examine this effect, the metabolic properties of pentadecanoic acid (PDA) were investigated using the mitochondrial fraction prepared from guinea-pig hair follicles. It was shown that PDA could be metabolized in hair follicles, and succinic acid, which was formed in the degradation process of PDA, had a remarkable ATP producing ability. These results suggest that the hair growing effect of PDG depends on the efficient supply of energy to hair follicles, and this mechanism seems to be derived from the metabolic property of the odd numbered carbon fatty acid, PDA."

Based on the above study, pentadecanoic acid (another SFA) is now approved in Japan as topical treatment for hair loss.
Clinical Evaluation of The Product Containing Glyceride of Pentadecanoic Acid on Male Pattern Alopecia in Women

However, if succinic acid and ultimately ATP are the real active ingredients then those can be delivered directly topically without the need to make the scalp greasy. Hence, the addition of succinic acid in SolBan and the suggestion to use Cardenosine on the scalp. A combination of SolBan + Cardenosine may be even more effective due to the additional antiinflammatory and antifibrotic effects of caffeine, niacinamide, aspirin, inosine, B6, etc.

Jennifer

I'm strongly thinking some improved circulation would help. I had Bells Palsy on the right side of my face many, many years ago but still feel lingering effects of numbness from time to time. Meaning to me, swelling in that area - internally, not visible externally. Email to RP - "thyroid" the answer. Blood pressure used to be consistently low but is more in a normal range now. Blood work for liver and kidney is in normal range and has been that way for many years. Cholesterol and Triglycerides had been pretty high even with thyroid meds. Jan 2018 test was 153 for LDL, 58 for HDL, and 148 Trigs. Total Cholesterol of 241. These are improved (downward) numbers. I perspire more now than I used to.
Ah, okay. The Bell's Palsy and low BP make me think weak adrenals since the adrenal glands produce neurotransmitters essential for brain and nerve function. Besides their role in turning the kidneys on and off (the kidneys being a main eliminating organ – if the acidic byproducts of metabolism build up, they destroy tissues causing degeneration like seen in neurological disorders), the adrenals also seem to me to be closely linked with the thyroid so that when the thyroid is weak, the adrenals are forced to compensate.

When you say your BP is more in a normal range now, is it around 120-130/60-70? The systolic number points to the strength of your adrenals and the diastolic, to the strength of your kidneys. BP should be taken on both arms since you can have one kidney and adrenal stronger than the other.

I usually associate an abnormal rate of hair loss with a weak thyroid (or acid accumulation/lymphatic stagnation in the area), but unless your cholesterol is still above 200, your morning temps below 97.8° and don't rise during the day (and high temps aren't accompanied by high adrenalin symptoms that can falsely elevate temps such as cold extremities, a racing heart/palpitations, freezing after meals etc.) and you aren't perspiring, it doesn't seem to me to be a thyroid issue, but I'm no expert like Ray so...

Jennifer

It seems like the sea sponge with a reusable pad or period panties could be a good combination. Almost makes me wish I had the opportunity to try it out myself!:lol:
Haha! Makes me think of the first time I got my period back after more than a decade without it. I cried tears of joy. My girlfriends thought I was nuts. I swear I'm so backwards I'm barely human. lol

Thanks everyone for your 2 cents! I think I'm going to go with the cotton undies since my periods usually only consist of 2 days of light spotting. That's why I was debating if it was even worth getting the menstrual cup since I only go through a couple of thin panty liners each month and they're completely biodegradable.
alywest said:
Yeah it sounds like Dr. Lee and Dr. Peat have some differences. I have been looking into it more and I'm going to try rectal and/or vaginal delivery of progesterone. Many people complain of yeast infections with the vaginal method, however I suspect these people are actually not estrogen dominant. I haven't had a yeast infection since I was 21 (17 years ago if anyone wants to know.) And I've never used special yeast infection products or anything like that. I can keep the thread updated if I develop one after applying progesterone this way. Again I am using the cream so it probably makes a difference. There are more ingredients to interfere with pH levels and all that. But according to Dr. Mercola (I know, I know) using the cream on skin for too long can actually lead to a buildup of progesterone in the fat cells causing a progesterone overload. I fortunately have only been using the cream that way for a couple of weeks, and while I like it I don't want to get to the point where it's going to be potentially throwing me off in the other direction!
I've tried vaginal application and found it was a waste because most of it would come seeping back out of me. I even tried laying with my legs and backside elevated, but it still oozed out. So sorry everyone if I'm being crude. :oops What little stuck never caused me a yeast infection and I'm not ED, but I've never had one so maybe I'm just less susceptible? But yes, please keep us updated on how your experiment goes!

The progesterone building up in the site of application with the cream is the reason why I switched to Progest-E. However, unlike most women here, it caused me to bleed like crazy for over two weeks out of each month no matter how much I reduced the dose. Between that and the insanely high libido I had developed at one point, I suspect it was causing me to ovulate multiple times a month because a skyrocketing libido happens the week leading up to my period.

Dotdash

Ah, okay. The Bell's Palsy and low BP make me think weak adrenals since the adrenal glands produce neurotransmitters essential for brain and nerve function. Besides their role in turning the kidneys on and off (the kidneys being a main eliminating organ – if the acidic byproducts of metabolism build up, they destroy tissues causing degeneration like seen in neurological disorders), the adrenals also seem to me to be closely linked with the thyroid so that when the thyroid is weak, the adrenals are forced to compensate.

When you say your BP is more in a normal range now, is it around 120-130/60-70? The systolic number points to the strength of your adrenals and the diastolic, to the strength of your kidneys. BP should be taken on both arms since you can have one kidney and adrenal stronger than the other.

I usually associate an abnormal rate of hair loss with a weak thyroid (or acid accumulation/lymphatic stagnation in the area), but unless your cholesterol is still above 200, your morning temps below 97.8° and don't rise during the day (and high temps aren't accompanied by high adrenalin symptoms that can falsely elevate temps such as cold extremities, a racing heart/palpitations, freezing after meals etc.) and you aren't perspiring, it doesn't seem to me to be a thyroid issue, but I'm no expert like Ray so...

Thank you Jennifer for all the food for thought. I will read it until it sinks in & I will pay more attention to what is going on. BP used to run 120/50 fairly consistently. Just now the R arm reading 151/81 and left arm 154/82. Probably 130/65 is an average reading. I never knew how the numbers relate to adrenals and kidneys. That is very interesting.

I don't know where the cholesterol is now but will be checking it again soon. Temps are 97.7 to 98 in morning and continue to rise after breakfast. I don't get heart palpitations like I used to but still have cold extremities from time to time which I was told (not by RP) is lack of glycogen storage. And sometimes I'm freezing after a meal, which again was attributed to lack of glycogen. Since I don't experience the adrenalin surges such as racing heart, perhaps I've underestimated this.

alywest

Haha! Makes me think of the first time I got my period back after more than a decade without it. I cried tears of joy. My girlfriends thought I was nuts. I swear I'm so backwards I'm barely human. lol

Thanks everyone for your 2 cents! I think I'm going to go with the cotton undies since my periods usually only consist of 2 days of light spotting. That's why I was debating if it was even worth getting the menstrual cup since I only go through a couple of thin panty liners each month and they're completely biodegradable.

I've tried vaginal application and found it was a waste because most of it would come seeping back out of me. I even tried laying with my legs and backside elevated, but it still oozed out. So sorry everyone if I'm being crude. :oops What little stuck never caused me a yeast infection and I'm not ED, but I've never had one so maybe I'm just less susceptible? But yes, please keep us updated on how your experiment goes!

The progesterone building up in the site of application with the cream is the reason why I switched to Progest-E. However, unlike most women here, it caused me to bleed like crazy for over two weeks out of each month no matter how much I reduced the dose. Between that and the insanely high libido I had developed at one point, I suspect it was causing me to ovulate multiple times a month because a skyrocketing libido happens the week leading up to my period.

I don't think you're the backwards one! I think most people are backwards because of all the toxic chemicals that are being poured all o ver people without them even realizing it! :) Seems to cause unnatural desires for being someone who smells like a carpet cleaning solution and looks like a mannequin if the popular culture magazines are any indication of the "norm."

I hear you about the seeping out issue. I seem to go back and forth between faucet mode and dry as a desert mode. Rarely in between! Progesterone is tricky thing for whatever reason and maybe because you're not ED it wasn't really necessary for you? Now that i've started on it if I run out at the wrong time of the month I will become aggressive and extremely moody, worse than before I took it, but about the same as I felt right after having my second child. But with the progest-e type formulations to the gums I would just have to continuously use it and always felt kind of "meh." Better than violent and sad at the same time (picture a sad clown who verbally abuses kittens and you have me during PMS without my progesterone), but not great, either. The cream, along with also getting my vitamin D levels up, has made me finally actually feel those happy and calm feelings everyone always talks about and I thought only existed in fairy tales.

Jennifer

Thank you Jennifer for all the food for thought. I will read it until it sinks in & I will pay more attention to what is going on. BP used to run 120/50 fairly consistently. Just now the R arm reading 151/81 and left arm 154/82. Probably 130/65 is an average reading. I never knew how the numbers relate to adrenals and kidneys. That is very interesting.

I don't know where the cholesterol is now but will be checking it again soon. Temps are 97.7 to 98 in morning and continue to rise after breakfast. I don't get heart palpitations like I used to but still have cold extremities from time to time which I was told (not by RP) is lack of glycogen storage. And sometimes I'm freezing after a meal, which again was attributed to lack of glycogen. Since I don't experience the adrenalin surges such as racing heart, perhaps I've underestimated this.
You're welcome! :)

The way I've understood it is that when the thyroid is weak, the body is forced to pull heat to its core in order to protect vital tissues like the brain, leaving extremities cold. A lack of glycogen storage would be due to weak tissues/glands just like cold extremities so I think what you were told has truth to it, it just needed to be traced further back to the cause, if that makes sense?

And freezing after a meal says to me a person was either running on stress hormones and food lowered them or their sugars crashed which can also point to poor glycogen storage, but that would still be a symptom of weak tissues when we trace it back further – think adrenals, thyroid, liver and possibly the pancreas. :)