Feel nothing from thyroid supplementation

peter88

I’ve now tried NDT, tyromix, and Cynoplus without any increase in body temperature.
My waking temperature is consistently 97.8-98.1 but during the day it ranges from 96-97.8. I began dabbling with thyroid this past summer and my digestion hasn’t improved and my body doesn’t produce heat on its own.

I eat over 4000 calories everyday and never gain weight. What would cause thyroid to not be effective in increasing temps? I started 1/2 a Cynoplus a week and a half ago. I have felt 0 increases in temps so I started taking a whole pill, which I know is not recommended too soon, and still don’t see any changes.

Liver issue? Low vitamin d?

youngsinatra

Reverse T3.

I think this is also the reason why so many thyroid patients are feeling desperately hypothyroid on levothyroxine.

I‘m currently trying pharmaceutical grade pregnenolone for cortisol lowering. This thread inspired me:

Last edited:

gd81

Low vitamin d?

In my experience that can be a big cause of thyroid not working. Taking pregnenolone with it may help as well.

More:

Part VI: Troubleshooting

“One mistake which has been made in the past has been to start thyroid therapy with excessive amounts. Another has been to give up too soon to expect immediate results, immediate disappearance of symptoms. And still a third has been to stop thyroid therapy because the patient has become nervous and the nervousness has been thought to be the result of too much thyroid. If the basal temperature is still low or within the normal range, it is a clear indication that the nervousness and other symptoms are not coming from too much thyroid and thyroid therapy should continue while an effort is made to overcome or adjust to what is really the disturbing factor.” — Broda Barnes (1973)
That sort of sudden adrenaline effect can happen when there’s something essential missing in the diet, while the requirements are increased by using thyroid. Deficiencies of protein, magnesium, calcium, and the B vitamins are most likely. Too much phosphate and too little carbohydrate are other possibilities.”“When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium...” — Ray Peat
“Administration of thyroid to these patients, in the absence of a vitamin B supplement, usually caused exacerbation of the signs and symptoms of deficiency without significant change in the metabolic rate.” — Morton Biskind (1946)
With the general understanding that thyroid is an effective broad-range therapy with a long historical track record of safety, a person can start thinking about potential possibilities if thyroid therapy does not go as expected. Some of the most common road bumps seem to be:

• Vitamin D deficiency
  • A diet deficient in protein or B vitamins
  • A diet deficient in calcium and excessive in phosphate
  • A diet deficient in carbohydrate
  • A diet deficient in calories
  • Ruminant liver-avoidance
  • Oyster-avoidance
  • Infection, which is more common in hypothyroid people
  • Cholesterol deficiency (requires a lab test)

Phaedrus

My brother was in horrible shape physically and mentally last year. He agreed to try some things I had like pregnenalone, cyproheptadine, and a small amount of thyroid. He tried both cynomel, cynoplus, and idealabs’ TyroMix. Whereas I feel an immediate difference when I chew even a small piece of T3, my brother felt nothing. After trying smaller doses several times, he once tried up to a half tab of Cynoplus and there was seemingly no effect. No increase in pulse or temps, nor the anxiety or adrenaline effect a lot of people get from taking too much thyroid.

OP
P

peter88

My brother was in horrible shape physically and mentally last year. He agreed to try some things I had like pregnenalone, cyproheptadine, and a small amount of thyroid. He tried both cynomel, cynoplus, and idealabs’ TyroMix. Whereas I feel an immediate difference when I chew even a small piece of T3, my brother felt nothing. After trying smaller doses several times, he once tried up to a half tab of Cynoplus and there was seemingly no effect. No increase in pulse or temps, nor the anxiety or adrenaline effect a lot of people get from taking too much thyroid.
Any idea on what you think caused it? I don’t feel worse from taking too much thyroid, I literally feel nothing. I said **** it and chewed up a whole Cynoplus to see what happens and felt absolutely nothing.

OP
P

peter88

In my experience that can be a big cause of thyroid not working. Taking pregnenolone with it may help as well.

More:
I wonder if an intestinal infection could be the cause. I got really sick from raw milk a while back and my digestion hasn’t been the same since.
NO inhibition. Probably have infection.
I saw this post from years back responding to a guy that has chronic constipation and the only thing that fixes it is coffee. I have been constipated and my digestive symptoms are much worse since quitting coffee but it wrecks my sleep.

Risingfire

I’ve now tried NDT, tyromix, and Cynoplus without any increase in body temperature.
My waking temperature is consistently 97.8-98.1 but during the day it ranges from 96-97.8. I began dabbling with thyroid this past summer and my digestion hasn’t improved and my body doesn’t produce heat on its own.

I eat over 4000 calories everyday and never gain weight. What would cause thyroid to not be effective in increasing temps? I started 1/2 a Cynoplus a week and a half ago. I have felt 0 increases in temps so I started taking a whole pill, which I know is not recommended too soon, and still don’t see any changes.

Liver issue? Low vitamin d?
Seems like you have high adrenaline

OP
P

peter88

Seems like you have high adrenaline
Most likely, yes. I just don’t understand why I can eat 5000+calories, supplement thyroid and still feel freezing cold. I only feel warm from sunshine. Lots of digestive issues too (fiber, dairy, starch intolerance)

Phaedrus

Any idea on what you think caused it? I don’t feel worse from taking too much thyroid, I literally feel nothing. I said **** it and chewed up a whole Cynoplus to see what happens and felt absolutely nothing.
Nope, I was definitely miffed that it did not do anything for him positive or negative, so I can only speculate that perhaps it was high levels of reverse T3.

RobertMichael

Nope, I was definitely miffed that it did not do anything for him positive or negative, so I can only speculate that perhaps it was high levels of reverse T3.
Interestingly, taking thyroid (t3+t4) significantly lowered my reverse t3 but didn't make me feel anything still.

Risingfire

Most likely, yes. I just don’t understand why I can eat 5000+calories, supplement thyroid and still feel freezing cold. I only feel warm from sunshine. Lots of digestive issues too (fiber, dairy, starch intolerance)
Do you ever get blood tests? What is your vitamin D at?

Nebula

Same. Almost always zero effect. Occasionally coffee seems to allow thyroid to have some response but its very fleeting. I don't think I have any gut infection. Zero bloating. completely flat stomach. I haven't tested vitamin D but I was getting hours of sun per day this summer and have supplemented in the past and felt off when supplementing vitamin D so stopped. Would you have zero response from thyroid if cholesterol is too low?

Last edited:

Razvan

I found aspirin, androsterone and pregnanolone much better than thyroid for improving thyroid and metabolism.

OP
P

peter88

Same. Almost always zero effect. Occasionally coffee seems to allow thyroid to have some response but it’s very fleeting. I don't think I have any gut infection. Zero bloating. completely flat stomach. I haven't tested vitamin D but I was getting hours of sun per day this summer and have supplemented in the past and felt off when supplementing vitamin D so stopped. Would you have zero response from thyroid if cholesterol is too low?
Total cholesterol was around 205 when I checked a week ago. I don’t get bloated either. I can eat 8000 calories but will never put on weight.

gd81

I wonder if an intestinal infection could be the cause. I got really sick from raw milk a while back and my digestion hasn’t been the same since.

I saw this post from years back responding to a guy that has chronic constipation and the only thing that fixes it is coffee. I have been constipated and my digestive symptoms are much worse since quitting coffee but it wrecks my sleep.

It's worth experimenting with carrot salad/charcoal/antibiotics. An infection can keep you cold and any gut problems create adrenaline, which will make you feel cold especially the temperature of skin.

valzim

TSH was 2 last time I checked and vitamin d was 55. My vitamin a level is always elevated.
Hey Peter,
I think the Vitamin A is the problem. I'm guessing you're eating high fat diet with lots of high Vitamin A foods? The raw dairy did not make you sick due to a rouge bacteria. It was your liver not being able to handle any more of this Poison A. Did you know that Vitamin A either ingested as retinol (from animals) or beta carotene (from plants) will turn into retinoic acid in the body? There's a couple of different forms of Retinoic acid. One is the retin A that is used for facial peels. So think about it. Retin A peels or melts the top skin layer of the face so new skin can grow. Well it does the same in your body. Retinoic acid destroys epithelial cells in the body. Epithelial cells make up much of the surface area and barriers. Retinoic acid can attack the intestines, thyroid, pancreas, brain, basically everything. I speak from experience.
Around 2016, I started a more keto diet high in salmon, eggs, butter, bacon, pork, cod liver oil, dessicated liver pills. I was on the skinny side and I lost even more weight. And this also came with eczema, brain fog, and general bad and angry mood. Thank God I found Grant Genereaux and the Dr. Garrett Smith.
Everything they tell us about health, vitamins, etc may be complete bull****. They say Vitamin A is essential but if you read exactly how they came to that conclusion, you will see hos ridiculous science is. Grant figured it out. He had chronic kidney disease, ezcema and many issues. His kidney doctor told him to get his affairs in order as he only had a couple years left. He went on an extremely low Vit A diet of basically beans, rice, and red lean cow meat. I think the meat still has traces of Vit A but minute amounts. Within a couple weeks his skin calmed down. As he continued, everything got better. He healed his incurable autoimmnue diseases. He cured his incurable kidney disease. He is now 9 years on this diet. His Vitamin A is down to under 5 ug/dl. The range is 20-60. He shouold be blind by now if what they said about Vit A is true. I think Haidut and Ray Peat are wrong on vitamin A.
I was Mr. ******* Keto taking all that ***t I mentioned earlier. Worse decision of my life. My Vit A level was up to 62. With worse and worse health. After 10 months on very low A diet, my Vit A is still 40. This is how hard it is to get rid of. It is not an essential Vitamin, neither is Vitamin D. My eczema is pretty much gone but skin taking a long time to heal, my mood and energy are much better, and more importantly my temperatures are coming up. Thyroid really didn't move my temps either.
Grant has 3 free ebooks I highly recomment. My eBooks

Dr. Garrett Smith has taken Grant's work further and is helping people clean up their liver. It's all rooted in the liver. Nutrition Detective | Research-Based Vitamin A Toxicity & Liver Health

Are you on twitter? I can link you to more good information. @ValZimmer2

OP
P

peter88

TSH is high. What about other hormones like estrogen? prolactin? test?
Never had them tested except prolactin was elevated last spring. I figured vitamin d and thyroid issues made sense considering my tsh and prolactin, supplements have just don’t nothing.

FitnessMike

Are you taking it with meals?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals