What If You Want To Cool Down A Bit?

arinryan

It will be summer before too long in my part of the world...
I am now taking progesterone, pregnenolone, NDT, coconut oil, sugar, fruit juice, gelatin, salt. My body temp is definitely warmer with all this, I used to sleep under three down comforters at night, but these have all helped and now I am too warm with one.
However, the one nice thing about a low body temp was...a really hot summer day! The heat was always enjoyable, and I would like to enjoy it this summer, I am outside a lot. In the summer I would sometimes break out in sweat (maybe cause of adrenaline?) and hope taking thyroid helps with that...but I am wondering:
If I wanted to cut back on one or more of these temperature raising foods and supplements during the hottest part of the summer, for say 3 months... which (one or more) do you think would be best to cut back?
Thanks!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So you are basically asking how to dial down metabolism?

I use to not sweat much, I now sweat a lot and take it as a good sign. The first summer Peating was a bit uncomfortable due to all my new hotness. The next summer was a lot better.

Kray

Charlie- I agree and am looking forward to my first good sweat, as I have never been a "sweater". I think it goes along with hypothyroidism. It will be interesting to see how I do my first summer with up-adjusted thyroid. :)

jyb

I think its the opposite. Hot or cold weather becomes more tolerable with a good metabolism. It's when you are sick and hypothyroid that any deviation from comfort will cause stress and irritation. Higher body temps does not mean you will find it hotter. Take hot flashes for example, it feel hot and uncomfortable, yet the body temps is low due to sick hypothyroidism.

Kray

jyb said:
I think its the opposite. Hot or cold weather becomes more tolerable with a good metabolism. It's when you are sick and hypothyroid that any deviation from comfort will cause stress and irritation. Higher body temps does not mean you will find it hotter. Take hot flashes for example, it feel hot and uncomfortable, yet the body temps is low due to sick hypothyroidism.

I think we agree. No sweat because I was hypo, and so true-- I feel hot when my temp is low! I meant that if I am correcting my low thyroid, I should do better to ventilate and cool myself (by sweating) when it truly is hot (before I couldn't sweat even in hot temps). Hope this makes sense. :)

OP
arinryan

arinryan

Thanks jyb, I can see that might be what I should keep in mind. I have always been envious of a friend of mine who tolerates all kinds of weather at both extremes, without much discomfort. I tell her I could never stand to live where she does in the midwest US, with such extremely cold winters and hot humid summers...but to her its not a very big deal.

I have just started taking Thiroyd, am at 1/4 grain and hope to increase that dose. I've heard RP say he took more thyroid in winter than summer. So, I am wondering if I should at least adjust my dose of that.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm wondering if part of my recent thyroid snafu didn't have a little bit to do with the days getting longer. I'm needing way less these days. I know adding vitamin a played a role as well. The summer should be interesting for many of us who are new to the ways of Peat.

Kray

Blossom said:
I'm wondering if part of my recent thyroid snafu didn't have a little bit to do with the days getting longer. I'm needing way less these days. I know adding vitamin a played a role as well. The summer should be interesting for many of us who are new to the ways of Peat.

I as well, will be curious to see about lowering thyroid dose. I guess we know why the temp/pulse is so important to give us the cues. :)

aguilaroja

There are many issues related to the query. Excuse me if I cover some general ground.

Both cold and heat intolerance are signs of low thyroid function. Improved thyroid function tends to improve both cold and heat tolerance. This was my case.

Improved thyroid function does not generally lead to overheating. A healthier metabolism will generally lead to better fuel processing, increasing water output, including through sweat evaporation. Sweat evaporation aids adapting to hot ambient temperature. I have known several people chilly year round who became comfortable year round with thyroid supplementation AND started sweating in the summer heat.

There are occasions in any season that restorative measures during TRANSITION to support when temperature, pulse, even mood "overshoots". Those periods are usually pretty brief and respond to adjust amounts or frequency downward.

Cold and heat tolerance also depends on what compensations a person makes when thyroid function is low. Those who use higher adrenaline states as a main compensation often have very cool hands & feet, (and nose & ears) in the winter. In the summer, they tend to sweat very little, since accumulated heat is often not budging the core temperature much.

The stress of prolonged darkness increases the need for thyroid (and metabolic support) in the winter months. Less is needed in the summer. Long summer sunlit days in high latitudes are especially restorative. This is often a good time either to taper off restorative supports (e.g. thyroid) or to start metabolic support (because it works more quickly and therefore people are especially encouraged).

My experience is that the most effective tapering of supports is done when a person feels really well. My view would be to taper one of the hormones (thyroid, pregnenolone, or progesterone) if things are okay. I would suggest starting with the one LEAST direct in relieving previous problems. Foods are more steady state measures.

These views represent only my experience in studying Dr. Peat's work, rather than a full or accurate rendition of his views.

Kray

aguilaroja said:
There are many issues related to the query. Excuse me if I cover some general ground.

Both cold and heat intolerance are signs of low thyroid function. Improved thyroid function tends to improve both cold and heat tolerance. This was my case.

Improved thyroid function does not generally lead to overheating. A healthier metabolism will generally lead to better fuel processing, increasing water output, including through sweat evaporation. Sweat evaporation aids adapting to hot ambient temperature. I have known several people chilly year round who became comfortable year round with thyroid supplementation AND started sweating in the summer heat.

There are occasions in any season that restorative measures during TRANSITION to support when temperature, pulse, even mood "overshoots". Those periods are usually pretty brief and respond to adjust amounts or frequency downward.

Cold and heat tolerance also depends on what compensations a person makes when thyroid function is low. Those who use higher adrenaline states as a main compensation often have very cool hands & feet, (and nose & ears) in the winter. In the summer, they tend to sweat very little, since accumulated heat is often not budging the core temperature much.

The stress of prolonged darkness increases the need for thyroid (and metabolic support) in the winter months. Less is needed in the summer. Long summer sunlit days in high latitudes are especially restorative. This is often a good time either to taper off restorative supports (e.g. thyroid) or to start metabolic support (because it works more quickly and therefore people are especially encouraged).

My experience is that the most effective tapering of supports is done when a person feels really well. My view would be to taper one of the hormones (thyroid, pregnenolone, or progesterone) if things are okay. I would suggest starting with the one LEAST direct in relieving previous problems. Foods are more steady state measures.

These views represent only my experience in studying Dr. Peat's work, rather than a full or accurate rendition of his views.

That's really helpful, and I'll need to keep reading it over to better understand, and the trouble-shooting is new to me. I've done all but the thyroid until recently and just assumed they were necessary because I'm menopause. But, things seem to change or be more sensitive to change the older we (women) get. One of those "things" is dermatitis that I can't get rid of. Any ideas for help there? Thanks for posting- :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I started a this approach just as summer was ending and although I have had great success I often wonder what my experience would have been in a more optimal climate/altitude. I will never know but I am looking forward to my best spring and summer yet!!!!!

aguilaroja

classicallady said:
...I've done all but the thyroid until recently and just assumed they were necessary because I'm menopause. But, things seem to change or be more sensitive to change the older we (women) get. One of those "things" is dermatitis that I can't get rid of. Any ideas for help there?...

I'm not sure of the context here about the dermatitis, like the appearance, location and frequency.

Coconut oil applied to the skin is often soothing and helpful. (I recommend the "refined" (odorless) versions for this.)

Sometimes dermatitis type skin issues reflect low vitamin A, low cholesterol or other low fat soluble vitamins. If dermatitis is in female-specific regions, the issues and remedies are a bit different.

Kray

aguilaroja said:
classicallady said:
...I've done all but the thyroid until recently and just assumed they were necessary because I'm menopause. But, things seem to change or be more sensitive to change the older we (women) get. One of those "things" is dermatitis that I can't get rid of. Any ideas for help there?...

I'm not sure of the context here about the dermatitis, like the appearance, location and frequency.

Coconut oil applied to the skin is often soothing and helpful. (I recommend the "refined" (odorless) versions for this.)

Sometimes dermatitis type skin issues reflect low vitamin A, low cholesterol or other low fat soluble vitamins. If dermatitis is in female-specific regions, the issues and remedies are a bit different.

I think it is low vitamin A. I have taken D supplements for what seems like years, but not A & D since my cod liver oil days.

This article puts their synergy into perspective:

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cmast ... -diseases/

Do you think I might be safer to take a cod liver oil supplement to get both my A and D (even at a much lower dose) rather than take high-dose oral supplements of each, like a 25,000A/1,000D? Feedback and experience appreciated!

fyo

I would keep a cold wet rag on my neck and occupy some shade, or a shading hat.

aguilaroja

classicallady said:
I think it is low vitamin A. I have taken D supplements for what seems like years, but not A & D since my cod liver oil days.

This article puts their synergy into perspective:

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cmast ... -diseases/

Do you think I might be safer to take a cod liver oil supplement to get both my A and D (even at a much lower dose) rather than take high-dose oral supplements of each, like a 25,000A/1,000D? Feedback and experience appreciated!

-My experience is to start with food sources when possible. Dr. Peat has pointed out that vitamin A can go beyond sufficient to thyroid suppressive, depending on context:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1180

I have seen a few situations where a small increase in liver, butter, eggs, or milk was enough to turn skin conditions around. It's sometimes surprising how far a small amount goes, though others need more.

-Since vitamin A and the fat soluble vitamins are absorbed through the skin.Since this is a skin issue, and for ease of absorption, you could also consider a topical form of vitamin A.

-I read Dr. Masterjohn's and Weston Price foundation articles semi-regularly. I've read Weston A. Price directly. Dr. Cannell has interesting thoughts at the vitamin D council website. There are active debates on this forum and elsewhere about how to supplementing A & D. My own experiences with cod liver oil (including WAPF's recommended vendors) were not especially encouraging, but some give good reports. Due to the length and zeal of the A-D debates, I've been staying aside.

I prefer to separate ingredients to evaluate them individually but understand possible convenience and synergy of fat soluble vitamins. A forum member has developed lists of good quality supplements and mentions halibut liver oil:

http://www.toxinless.com/halibut-liver-oil

The forum member Haidut is working on his own blend of fat soluble vitamins, which has gotten good feedback in its first flight:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3083&hilit=haidut

-Depending on the specifics, dermatitis has numerous causes and solutions. Only a few are mentioned here.

Kray

Thanks for feedback. I assume you mean you're trying to go by diet and not supplement A or D these days? I may hold off on fish oil, and considering I have been adding D for some time, hold off on that for awhile (esp since DST just began and we get lots of sunshine here), keep up the A in my diet, and maybe apply some A to the skin so as not to overdo what seems to be a delicate balance, as you suggest. I'll keep my eyes open for the Haidut label! :)

Kray

Aguila- can you direct me how to send you a personal note? (got yours) Thx :)

ljihkugft7

So you are basically asking how to dial down metabolism?

I use to not sweat much, I now sweat a lot and take it as a good sign. The first summer Peating was a bit uncomfortable due to all my new hotness. The next summer was a lot better.
I don’t know about this...for me, personally, I feel like I started sweating excessively about 2 years into veganism and my metabolism was starting to crash.

since healing, I’m sweating waaaay less.
BO is also much better - less nitric oxide I think?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals