Body Finally Able To Cool Itself

paulwalkerrip

I feel like we pay so much attention to the symptoms of cold hands and feet on here that it took me awhile to realize that my body has gotten much better at regulating how it responds to heat.

I live in Ontario and it's really beginning to get hot here and I'm astonished by how little discomfort I'm feeling. My bedroom is on the third floor of an older home and I haven't had to turn my fan on yet! I don't have A/C because I rent but my childhood home didn't have it either and I was always miserable every summer.

I first became aware of Peat through Matt Stone and 180DegreeHealth a year and a half ago and while his advice was useful for healing from years of undereating on a quest to lose weight, it wasn't until six months ago that I really began to pay attention to eliminating iron fortified foods from my diet.

I have been stringent about avoiding PUFAs for a year and a half now but I was still trying to keep the amount of fat in my diet low in the hopes that I would hit the recommended weight for my height. This was disordered and I've been eating to appetite for three months now after realizing that I would never be as skinny as I hoped. I have gained weight but I've committed to letting it settle while eating lots of good, unadulterated food. Again - my only restrictions are PUFAs and added iron. I'm just not willing to get neurotic about food beyond that. I added grains and legumes back in after struggling to feel full without them.

Anyways! That was a very roundabout way of saying that I'm grateful for my body's restored ability to achieve homeostasis. It's lovely to be able to enjoy the summer without getting too hot.

I'm wondering if any other Peaters have noticed better heat tolerance?

BearWithMe

This is really interesting because my heat tolerance is getting lower and lower, despite strictly avoiding PUFAs, iron etc.

I'm really curious, what exactly determines one's heat tolerance, and how could it be improved by diet?

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
This is really interesting because my heat tolerance is getting lower and lower, despite strictly avoiding PUFAs, iron etc.

I'm really curious, what exactly determines one's heat tolerance, and how could it be improved by diet?

Part of it is ethnic. Bantus and aboriginals have superior heat tolerance to whites, but inferior cold tolerance. I reckon the same would be true if you were to include filipinos, negritos and i.e. mayan indigenes, but one interesting thing is that Polynesians are both especially heat-adapted and especially cold-adapted. Bergmann's rule and Allen's rule are also relevant here-- relatively compact bodies tolerate cold very well, and relatively gracile bodies tolerate heat very well. Rate at which you sweat, body temperature and general efficiency of homeostatic mechanisms in general influence heat tolerance

Human adaptation and accommodation (Book, 1993) [WorldCat.org]

Dutchie

The past couple of years Summer was hell.
Surprisingly this year I didn't suffer from the heat like I used to. (though I don't eat what would be a standard diet for most here).

BearWithMe

Part of it is ethnic. Bantus and aboriginals have superior heat tolerance to whites, but inferior cold tolerance. I reckon the same would be true if you were to include filipinos, negritos and i.e. mayan indigenes, but one interesting thing is that Polynesians are both especially heat-adapted and especially cold-adapted. Bergmann's rule and Allen's rule are also relevant here-- relatively compact bodies tolerate cold very well, and relatively gracile bodies tolerate heat very well. Rate at which you sweat, body temperature and general efficiency of homeostatic mechanisms in general influence heat tolerance

Human adaptation and accommodation (Book, 1993) [WorldCat.org]
Fascinating read. I need to get the book. Thank you for sharing this!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals