I think more salt has helped. What do you think?

Carrum

A few weeks ago I cut down on the amount of salt I had been having in my orange juice. I'm guessing I had been using approximately 3 level teaspoons in 3 litres of juice and I would drink all or most of this every day. I cut it down to about a level teaspoon. Last week I noticed that I was really starting to struggle at work. I'm a bricklayer and was having to push a loaded wheel barrow up a small slope several times throughout the day. It was unusually exhausting. I was trying to power through it by drinking coke but I just wasn't my usual self. I was also going a bit light headed if I stood up quickly from bending down. Late last week and this week I've gone back to higher salt intake and am back to feeling fit again.
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but doctors have always told me that my blood pressure is in the low end of the good range. I can't remember what it was last time it was checked.
Do you think it was the salt that sorted me out?

Edit: I should add that I'm in Australia and Summer has now arrived.

Vins7

A few weeks ago I cut down on the amount of salt I had been having in my orange juice. I'm guessing I had been using approximately 3 level teaspoons in 3 litres of juice and I would drink all or most of this every day. I cut it down to about a level teaspoon. Last week I noticed that I was really starting to struggle at work. I'm a bricklayer and was having to push a loaded wheel barrow up a small slope several times throughout the day. It was unusually exhausting. I was trying to power through it by drinking coke but I just wasn't my usual self. I was also going a bit light headed if I stood up quickly from bending down. Late last week and this week I've gone back to higher salt intake and am back to feeling fit again.
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but doctors have always told me that my blood pressure is in the low end of the good range. I can't remember what it was last time it was checked.

Did you mess clear or transparent the week you reduced the salt?

lilsticky

i eat potato chips because i want the salt. i need tasteful ways to incorporate more sodium

Mauritio

Salt is one of the best supplements in my opinion. But IIRC peat said it only increases blood pressure in the beginning. But maybe when it's chronically low, it raises it to appropriate levels

InChristAlone

Why would you cut down on it if it seemed to be helping you? Especially if it's summer there you sweat a lot.

LuMonty

I would definitely say the salt helps. When my Grampy was working he'd use these big salt pills. Must have been a few grams of salt each. He could work outside in hot humid weather all day as long as he took enough of them. His blood pressure was only high the last years of his life. This little story is my way of saying yes, it seems to be the ticket for you.

I

i_nomad

i eat potato chips because i want the salt. i need tasteful ways to incorporate more sodium
Bad idea, friend. Unless you are eating chips fried in coconut oil. All chips I’ve seen are PUFA heavy.

I

i_nomad

I tried adding more salt (mostly through salt pills, as my diet is hard to add salt to) and ended up having some sort of bodily rejection. Now too much at once will cause a flooding of salty saliva and a queasy feeling that is only fixed with drinking additional milk.

artlange

I have vertigo all morning if I don't have a a 16oz glass of orange juice with one heaping tsp of Mortens canning salt (no additives!) late in the afternoon the day before. It's winter now and in the summer I seem to need even more extra orange juice with salt.

redsun

You absolutely need salt for sodium and most people don't get enough for optimal cognitive function. Its also needed for muscle contractions. 4g of sodium is minimum and for someone who works outside in hot weather its likely even more. Pickles are helpful for this.

OP
C

Carrum

Did you mess clear or transparent the week you reduced the salt?
I think you are talking about urine? I urinate fairly clearl most of the time unless I take a multi-mineral tablets.
Why would you cut down on it if it seemed to be helping you? Especially if it's summer there you sweat a lot.
It was just a little experiment. I wondered if I was using more salt than I needed so I cut it down. I was ok to begin with but the last week before I upped the salt again was not good.

To the others that also replied, thanks for the interesting posts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals