Fruit making me so tired I feel like I'm gonna pass out

Grouptose

So this is my 4th day with no starch soon approaching day 5, I was planning on doing this for at least 1 week, but I randomly started feeling really ill. I was feeling really good before, and now all of a sudden I feel like I'm about to fall on the floor, and I'm craving sugar like I'm craving cocaine. Constantly wanting to down 20 litres of coke with 9 papayas and 14 mangos or something, the cravings weren't this bad before, and the cravings aren't the worst part. I just feel ill, like the sugar feels like it's stuck in my head. It's hard to describe what I'm going through. But, on the flip side I feel amazing. Like I feel slow and confused mentally, but emotionally I feel good. I feel high basically, but being high all the time has many downsides like bad coordination and things like that.

I can't do this forever though, and honestly I might quit this tomorrow, what is you guy's advice? Should I carry on for 1 week, or should I just add starches back in and cut back on fruit? Does fructose have this same effect on anyone else?

Edit: Nevermind I think I'm just tired because I woke up earlier, last night I had the opposite and felt a lot of energy at night. I don't want to add starch back in to be honest

Last edited:

nomoreketones

I recently listened to a Peter Attia podcast with Richard J. Johnson about this. Apparently there are two pathways (at least) in the liver to deal with Fructose.

Pathway #1 - Energy Production.
If the fructose is oxidized and converted to ATP then fructose will give you energy. This is what you want and what all Ray Peat followers want.

Pathway #2 - ATP degradation pathway (Richard Johnson calls it this)
In this pathway an enzyme called Fructokinase tears away a phosphate group from your existing ATP and converts the fructose molecule to fructose 1-phosphate. The ATP is turned into AMP which is involved in the production or uric acid. So this depletes your ATP which could make you tired and hungry.

Hopefully someone who understands the chemistry better can chime in. But from my limited understanding of this, if your fructose from fruit is mostly going down Pathway #1 then you will have plenty of energy. If most of your fructose from fruit is going down pathway #2 then you will feel really tired and crave food.

Richard J. Johnson believes that pathway #2 is designed to make you eat lots of fruit in a time of plenty and pack on the fat while you can to prepare for a long winter. This is also the central theme of his new book called, "Nature Wants Us to Be Fat"