Salt. My Experience With Morton's Canning And Himalayan

OP
W

wes

Re: Salt... My experience with Morton's Canning and Himalaya

So these are the changes i made... 1. Increased Morton's Salt Intake. 2. Ate food all the way up to 20 min before the session. 3. Sat in the back of the room where its cooler.

These changes prevent the stress hormones from becoming overbearing. Im now putting 1/2 teaspoon with my OJ, 1/4 teaspoon with my milk, and a full teaspoon with my yoga drink mixture. The Bikram Yoga community also suggests not eating anything 2 hours before session. My thinking is that when my body ran out of available nutrients, my stress hormones increased (mix in exercise and 106 degree temp) and my ability to absorb water and/or salt went down the drain. I drank some milk/salt/gelatin 20 min before and did a lot better. The heaters are on the back ceilings facing the front... so the coolest spots are on the back sides of the room. This seemed to help as well.

Im thinking the loss in water on morton's salt is contributed to a higher initial body temp and a faster metabolism. A faster metabolism requires more energy to sustain. I think the crash in the middle of yoga caused my body to freak out. The reason my body temp was lower in the mornings has to do with a fast metabolism running out of energy in the middle of the night... rather then a slower metabolism running out of energy in the middle of the night. It seems my body has an easier time transitioning to starvation when my metabolism was already low to begin with. This seems to be a sign that my body can only sustain a fast metabolism when im manually sustaining it with the food im eating. It does not have the necessary processes to sustain itself automatically... like the livers ability to store glycogen.

Being a tall, lanky guy... i've struggled with posture, flexibility, core strength, and joint issues my entire life. More recently... a chiropractor showed me an X-ray and pointed out i have minor scoliosis. I've read articles talking about how scoliosis lowers your life expectancy. Bikram Yoga has helped me with all of the above. I actually stand an inch taller now. I accomplished this in only 5 months of yoga. Since my goal with peat's diet is to increase life quality, performance, and expectancy... it seems i need to figure out a good balance of both.

OP
W

wes

gretchen said:
I can't believe water came out of your elbow.

Haha! Not literally! The pose where this happens is eagle. You wrap your arms, wrap yours legs, stand on one foot, sit your butt down like your sitting on a chair, and flex your upper body up. This makes my elbow the best "run off" point for my entire upper body.

Carac

I heard yeas ago from a naturopath I knew to use the Mortons Canning & Pickling salt. She never really explained to me why, so eventually I switched to sea salt. Now that I understand why I have switched back.

She also told me not to cook with salt (not any type of salt) because when it is heated the molecular make-up of the salt changes into something toxic. She suggested adding salt as soon as I turned off the burner. Then it would never get heated to the temp that could damage it.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I have never heard that but I do not add my salt until right before I eat my food. So I basically never cook with salt.

Jenn

There is another school of thought that says only cook with salt and don't add it after ward. ;)
I don't believe you are creating a toxin using it during cooking.

Cooking with salt removes water, adding it after ward keeps the moisture in there. So use it accordingly. I like salt my steak afterwards, as I don't like the drying affect of the salt while cooking. Veggies, like onions, I like to cook down and remove extra moisture, so I add salt in the beginning.

So do what you want, IMO. :2cents

J

j.

I salt both before and after cooking.

Ari

Just want to bump this thread to say that I tested out the various types of salt on myself (carried around a small tub of each for a few days) and definitely feel better when I am eating one of the 'dirty' salts.

I don't know why this is so, but it goes against Peat's view of canning salt being the best, so I wanted to bring it up for discussion again in case someone had another view on this.

===========================

Carac said:
I heard yeas ago from a naturopath I knew to use the Mortons Canning & Pickling salt. She never really explained to me why, so eventually I switched to sea salt. Now that I understand why I have switched back.

She also told me not to cook with salt (not any type of salt) because when it is heated the molecular make-up of the salt changes into something toxic. She suggested adding salt as soon as I turned off the burner. Then it would never get heated to the temp that could damage it.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

I read somewhere that when we cook with salt in a metal pan, the salt acts as an electric bridge that allows metal ions to fall into solution. Don't know if true or false, but I can at least see the chemical reason that statement was made.

Swandattur

I guess we need to ask a chemist. It seems to makes sense about the salt causing metal ions to go into solution. Some weird things happen with salt. My Dad who is a retired engineer, remembers a problem on his ship in the Pacific in WW2 where he thinks salt messed up the communications equipment. He thinks this same thing may have happened on other ships in the war that caused serious consequences.

J

j.

A paper I read suggested that boiling potatoes in salted water removes more solanine than boiling potatoes in unsalted water.

J

j.

I have both types of salts, Morton Canning and Pickling and iodized salt of another brand. I typically use Morton, but sometimes I have cravings for the iodized salt.

himsahimsa

Himalayan salt analysis: http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/resourc ... layan-salt
Iron 38.9 parts per million = 0.0389 parts per thousand = 0.0389 grams per kilogram.
So for 5 grams of this salt that would be:
(5/1000) x 0.0389 = 0.0001945 grams = 0.1945 milligrams (Iron).
Somebody check me on this.

stargazer1111

Regardless of the salt using, it should always be to taste.

I am not really sure this is true. I never crave salt. But, I feel horrible and get really cold unless I force myself to eat a lot of it, even if it doesn't taste all that good.

Dr. B

First post here...

I recently switched to the peat diet a few months ago. It's been doing wonders for me. I also do bikram yoga, which is an hour and half of yoga in a heated room with high humidity. In the yoga community... himalayan salt is king. I recently came across the recommendation for Morton's Canning Salt... and made the switch (for a week... all i could handle). I was consuming around 3 teaspoons a day on non-yoga days and around 5 teaspoons on yoga days. I immediately dropped 4 lbs, started getting up to pee in the middle of the night, started getting acne all over my body, and started waking up with massive headaches.

During a yoga session i bring a homemade drink with me. 42oz. water, 8oz. OJ, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 serving trace minerals. Normally... I drink 25oz. during yoga and finish the other 25oz after. My body weight is the same before and after with consuming these 50oz. After switching to Morton's canning salt my body does not seem to retain water... at all. I down the full 50oz. in the first 45 min and feel like im going to die. At one point there was a constant stream of water coming off of my elbow. The instructor made a joke that i was peeing out my elbow. My starting weight was 150lbs... my ending weight was 143 lbs... and that was with consuming 50oz. of liquid. Thats about a 10lbs fluid loss.

I switched back to himalayan salt and my weight went back up to 155 lbs., i dont pee in the middle of the night, i dont wake up with headaches, and my yoga is back to normal.

It seems that body retains much more water with himalayan salt... and retains almost no water with Morton's canning salt. I do not have an official diagnosis of hypothyroidism, but I am showing many of the signs. My mother had her thyroid removed and thyroid issues are known in the family.

"For starters, those with hypothyroidism have a hell of a hard time retaining salt. The lower the metabolism, the greater the propensity to develop hyponatremia (low sodium levels). This is a tremendous stress – one that can potentially trigger migraine headaches or seizures in epileptics ."
http://180degreehealth.com/2011/05/ray-peat-salt

After reading this... it seems that morton canning salt was working against me. Himalayan salt seems to fix the issues. This leads me to the question... why is himalayan salt bad? I could not find a reputable quote anywhere, but it seems that the iron/metal content is what everyone is looking to avoid.

How much Iron is in himalayan salt? Again... i could not find a reputable source for the amount of iron in himalayan salt. SaltNews.com says that there is .23729 mg of iron in 1 teaspoon of himalayan salt.
http://www.saltnews.com/2012/03/are-the ... n-in-salt/

This seems very insignificant compared to the amount of iron in beef. 3 oz. of beef contains ~33.5 mg of Iron.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/bee ... cts/3477/2

Is the problem with himalayan salt really iron? Can anyone straighten this out or me?
I don’t think even beef liver contains 33mg of iron in 3oz… that cant be accurate. I think cooked ground beef was 1mg iron per ounce. Raw ground beef due to water content is even less iron per ounce…

If its only 0.2mg iron per teaspoon thats not bad at all

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals