How Do I Heal Tendons Quicker?

OP
TheHound

TheHound

All good. Probably just pushing yourself too hard then. When you start getting tired the habit is to bring the bar higher up on the chest and flare the elbow out more to try and get more pec involved to help you keep going. That definitely puts more strain on the wrist than bringing the bar down lower and tucking the elbows more when using a close grip.

I think this is exactly what happened. It feels a lot better this morning. Hopefully finally good to go soon

GoodOlMiak

Try using a therapy technique called "flossing" to help the damaged area.

I use it to help with my ankles, quads, calves and shoulders from over training, or to get them to perform smoother.

You'll have to buy a flossing band for about $15 (although the Voodoo Brand sells for $75 online - you DON'T have to buy that one).

Chris Masterjohns PhD., the nutritionist, has used it to heal his carpal tunnel.

Kelly Starett (author of Becoming a Supple Leopard) swears by this technique.

Milena

Remember that after it stops hurting, it's still healing. Most people forget that soft tissue heals slower than bone and thinks that after 4 weeks they're good to go. Patience is key; wait two weeks after it stops hurting before expecting the problem not to recur.
I ripped a lots of stuff again and again before I learnt my lesson.

tankasnowgod

forgot to mention I've been shining red light on them 3-4x a week. Also tried rubbing pansterone and kuinone on them as well as spraying them with solban. still not gone

You could try upping the red light dose to 3-4 times a day. A whole lot depends on the power of the device, and time of use. Remember, only a fraction of light would get to the tendon (even with infrared), so you're probably getting just a tiny fraction of an effective dose. This is from the site LED Light Therapy (it's got some good info on Red Light, but it's like a 40 page wall of text if you click)-

How useful is light therapy? I view red and infrared light as equally beneficial regardless of the source (sun, halogen, LED, or laser) as long as the intensity and area of coverage are equal. I think 830 nm is best, but maybe 660 nm is better, and in either case, you can just make the less beneficial wavelength have a stronger light source. There is no theory that indicates the effects are different. They kick-start injured cells into making more ATP. I view red/near-infrared light therapy as beneficial overall as applying ice to injuries, keeping in mind that people greatly under-utilize ice. More important than ice and light for joint injuries is a lot of stretching, movement, and careful strengthening. I use light mostly immediately after an injury, right before applying ice for 5 minutes, and then repeat once every 6 hours for a day or two. Immediately after injuries, ice is more important.

FDA allows advertising red and infrared for minor pains and mild arthritis. Red has been used to help halt dry macular degeneration which may have FDA approval. The following have FDA approval for specific devices (these are just those I know. I have not done a search): infrared 880 nm for diabetic peripheral neuropathy, 660 nm red for mouth ulcers in children on a type of chemo, "Titan" intense infrared device for wrinkles in a clinical setting, very intense (harmful) infrared devices for spots, and blue or blue/red for acne. There have been excellent results reported for tendonitis, shoulders, knees, small joints, and fibromyalgia. For most soft-tissue injuries beneath the skin, the pain goes from an 8 to a 2 (on a scale of 10) after an hour or two of treatment with good home-use LED devices. For exposed injuries like burns and retina injuries, only 1 to 10 minutes of LED light is used, depending on the device. Applying LED light for too long cancels the benefits, but the time of application is hard to determine. Too little light and there is little benefit, and too much light and there is no benefit. For injuries where the pain can be felt, I apply it only long enough to notice the maximum pain relief and no longer. The pain relief can be amazing in burns, cuts, and other wounds even if wound healing is not faster. The increase in the speed of healing can be directly measured in the injured retinas of rabbit. Stubbed toes can go from being purple-black to pink in one treatment. Serious injuries seem to benefit from 3 to 6 treatments/day (as the pain returns) instead of one treatment/day. Strangely, tendon and muscle soreness from working-out seems to not receive any pain relief, but chronic tendinitis seems to benefit greatly. From my experience in trying to help friends and family, it is beneficial only about 30% of the time in back pain. Companies have made various strange claims that I do not believe: yellow for wrinkles, green for cancer, and blue for wrinkles. Recent serious injuries benefit from several treatments per day.

sladerunner69

Im not sure, I have tennis elbow from just a few weeks of playing tennis frequently, and I am almost positive it gets worse when I take aspirin/k2. I think low estrogen is tough on the ligaments and joints.

m_arch

I've healed an achilles and a tennis elbow:

Adequate nutrition (fat solubles / cholesterol as these produce the steroid hormones)
Rest (you need to rest the injured tendon to begin with, i.e. if an activity is causing it poblems - but not too long)
Massage (get in there really hard. flossing mentioned above is good. for tennis elbow, press it hard into a table or something. dig around for the most painful area and hit it hard, obviously within limits)
Stretching (you want to stretch it out)
Strengthening (this depends on the tendon. Generally eccentric exercises seem to be best, I.e. resisting a force while lengthening the tendon at the same time)

walker_in_aus

Adequate nutrition (fat solubles / cholesterol as these produce the steroid hormones)
Rest (you need to rest the injured tendon to begin with, i.e. if an activity is causing it poblems - but not too long)
Massage (get in there really hard. flossing mentioned above is good. for tennis elbow, press it hard into a table or something. dig around for the most painful area and hit it hard, obviously within limits)
Strengthening (this depends on the tendon. Generally eccentric exercises seem to be best, I.e. resisting a force while lengthening the tendon at the same time)

Hi m_arch,

Can you detail a bit more about your Achilles? My right one has been stiff and sore for months, makes me hobble in the morning. I was walking a lot, had a few weeks off thinking that was it, but it's just not getting better. It tends to feel better after a long walk now, would this be the stretching of it?

I eat lots of fruit, dairy, eggs and fish and I take estroban and top it up cycling with k2, a and e (I've been unwell for years so figure a year of extra is probably going to help...

I'm also getting married in three months and was going to ramp up the walking and add weights back in, but now I'm worried I'm making it worse :(

Thanks

m_arch

Hi m_arch,

Can you detail a bit more about your Achilles? My right one has been stiff and sore for months, makes me hobble in the morning. I was walking a lot, had a few weeks off thinking that was it, but it's just not getting better. It tends to feel better after a long walk now, would this be the stretching of it?

I eat lots of fruit, dairy, eggs and fish and I take estroban and top it up cycling with k2, a and e (I've been unwell for years so figure a year of extra is probably going to help...

I'm also getting married in three months and was going to ramp up the walking and add weights back in, but now I'm worried I'm making it worse :(

Thanks
For achilles its often unactivated muscle groups. Walk up and down a hill backwards (yes youll look like a freak - but your achilles will feel better).

I know the pain, i had the same thing for 2 years. From the hill walks you should notice calve muscles sore. When you walk normally, load up those calve muscles so they feel sore again. You might have to land more on the front of your foot (like youre stepping into a shoe)... this puts more pressure on your muscles , which grow and adapt fast, and less on your achilles. You also want to 'bounce' up after your step. So, walk very quietly and bounce up after. Do hr long walks doing this to ingrain the muscle memory.

I also used red light every 2nd night on the achilles for 5-10min. This will heal it, but it will keep redamaging unless you fix your gait. Its important to do the red light only at night before bed (it will temporarily weaken the tendon)

Another yhing that helps; barefoot, stand one legged and throw and catch a ball 120 times each leg. This works all the stabilising muscles in the ankle, foot and calve. You should feel some burn here.

So yeah do the 120 ball catch each leg everyday for 2 weeks. Walk backwards up and down a hill as often and for as long as possible. When you walk around, try to modify your walk more to what i described above.

You really cant overdo it if this is a chronic injury (most achilles tendonitis is). Lower limb muscles are used to working hard all the time (unlike biceps and chest etc) so you can do it day in day out. Let me know how it goes.

walker_in_aus

For achilles its often unactivated muscle groups. Walk up and down a hill backwards (yes youll look like a freak - but your achilles will feel better).

I know the pain, i had the same thing for 2 years. From the hill walks you should notice calve muscles sore. When you walk normally, load up those calve muscles so they feel sore again. You might have to land more on the front of your foot (like youre stepping into a shoe)... this puts more pressure on your muscles , which grow and adapt fast, and less on your achilles. You also want to 'bounce' up after your step. So, walk very quietly and bounce up after. Do hr long walks doing this to ingrain the muscle memory.

I also used red light every 2nd night on the achilles for 5-10min. This will heal it, but it will keep redamaging unless you fix your gait. Its important to do the red light only at night before bed (it will temporarily weaken the tendon)

Another yhing that helps; barefoot, stand one legged and throw and catch a ball 120 times each leg. This works all the stabilising muscles in the ankle, foot and calve. You should feel some burn here.

So yeah do the 120 ball catch each leg everyday for 2 weeks. Walk backwards up and down a hill as often and for as long as possible. When you walk around, try to modify your walk more to what i described above.

You really cant overdo it if this is a chronic injury (most achilles tendonitis is). Lower limb muscles are used to working hard all the time (unlike biceps and chest etc) so you can do it day in day out. Let me know how it goes.
Thanks!!! I'll give it a shot and report back. Very detailed description :)

sladerunner69

Im curious, how did you aquire the dreaded tennis elbow?

m_arch

Im curious, how did you aquire the dreaded tennis elbow?
Playing tennis with a babbolat racquet in the rain.
Although, a lot of people get tennis elbow just using a babbolat lol. The frames seem to have a lot of vibration in them. It was a bit sore using the racquet, but still playable. After playing in the rain it felt terrible. The balls get really heavy when they're we.

Carrum

I just listened to this podcast a few minutes ago.

SNR #143: Keith Baar, PhD – Tendon Stiffness, Collagen Production & Gelatin for Performance & Injury
https://sigmanutrition.com/episode143/

From the podcast. Supplement with collagen an hour before exercising the injured tendon

Tb500 or BPC157 injections are the real deal... if you want to cross over into the dark side
Do u inject bpc-157 directly into the ligaments that you’re trying to heal? Shouldn’t it still work orally? I have been looking at using this for craniocervical instability

Carrum

I watched this video just recently and started using isometrics as suggested in the video. It really seems to be helping a lot even though I have some old injuries.

SOMO

DMSO
Chondroitin Sulfate

But I would try DMSO first.

Back
Top Bottom