Potassium:Sodium Ratios. My Experience And Theory

Discussion in 'Minerals' started by Jon, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Obi-wan

Obi-wan Member

Intracellular potassium to keep membrane potential high. Heavy crop production rapidly depletes the soil of potassium. Due to nitrogen fertilization of plants they do not uptake potassium or magnesium. Did you see the RDA for potassium. 4,700mg of potassium for males that are 14 years old and older. Most Americans consume only half that amount per day.

Biochemical function[edit]
    Potassium levels influence multiple physiological processes, including[53][54][55]

• resting cellular-membrane potential and the propagation of action potentials in neuronal, muscular, and cardiac tissue. Due to the electrostatic and chemical properties, K+
      ions are larger than Na+
      ions, and ion channels and pumps in cell membranes can differentiate between the two ions, actively pumping or passively passing one of the two ions while blocking the other.[56]
    • hormone secretion and action
    • vascular tone
    • systemic blood pressure control
    • gastrointestinal motility
    • acid–base homeostasis
    • glucose and insulin metabolism
    • mineralocorticoid action
    • renal concentrating ability
    • fluid and electrolyte balance
    Sodium

In humans, sodium is an essential mineral that regulates blood volume, blood pressure, osmotic equilibrium and pH; the minimum physiological requirement for sodium is 500 milligrams per day.[77] Sodium chloride is the principal source of sodium in the diet, and is used as seasoning and preservative in such commodities as pickled preserves and jerky; for Americans, most sodium chloride comes from processed foods.[78] Other sources of sodium are its natural occurrence in food and such food additives as monosodium glutamate (MSG), sodium nitrite, sodium saccharin, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and sodium benzoate.[79] The US Institute of Medicine set its Tolerable Upper Intake Level for sodium at 2.3 grams per day,[80] but the average person in the United States consumes 3.4 grams per day

I think we over consume sodium and under consume potassium causing an imbalance. Both are important. I am interested in proper membrane potential.

2. Obi-wan

Obi-wan Member

Lactic acid pushes the extracellular fluid into a acid or low PH. Just drinking alcohol can do this. Sodium bicarbonate will change the PH of urine quickly but I noticed it takes more potassium bicarbonate to do the same...

3. ImprovingDaily

ImprovingDaily Member

Yeah, high heart rate, feeling out of breath. I definitely agree that it's not a good sign, but compared to where I was, I feel I'm much better and know much more about what the issue is. Overly stressing doesn't help, just makes things worse, so I'm taking it for what it is, and I'm hopeful i can find the answer. Another issue I've been having is dizziness which can accompany the high heart rate. The Magnesium seems to really help with it, so theres something there. I also notice it tends to get exacerbated by estrogen lowering things like Progesterone, but I think that may be because its increasing my sugar oxidizing needs and I cant keep up. Maybe the magnesium is helping me burn sugar more efficiently or some other reason.

My current theory on what's going on is that I'm not oxidizing the sugar well or it's not going into the cell, maybe insulin resistance. DHEA and other androgens seems to help with the dizziness and lightheadedness, but theres need to be more experimentation. Other things like quinones help from time to time but not consistently, so I think the limiting factor is somewhere else. Maybe a missing nutrient. Focusing on increasing insulin sensitivity, maybe getting brewers yeast for the minerals and vitamins.

4. bzmazu

bzmazu Member

BTW ... Potassium RDA by the WHO and the EU is 3500 mg...what's behind the US 4700 mg?... EU Ca 800 and Mag 300...did pressure from the dairy industry raise the levels in US to 1200 and 410 ??...wouldn't be surprised.

5. X3CyO

X3CyO Member

After following a carnivore-esque diet Ive concluded yes, salt is actually quite disgusting now, and steak is pretty great just plain and rare. Tastes salty enough by itself personally. Just have to make sure its dried a little so it can be fried rather than boiled.

Im guessing that the issue was with specifically bananas as well as potassium chloride rather than potassium in and of itself. Perhaps that was also amplified by too much sugar. Or too much fiber.

Im not sure, but I can say that so far it seems personally now that salt is more of a cultural thing.
    Maybe its because it raises uric acid, without removing phosphate from the body like sugar.

6. OP
    Jon

Jon Member

That's interesting. I also eat about 7oz of meat a day along with 2 whole eggs and about 3oz of low fat string cheese and I find I can't really salt my food much or I get tinnitus and edema. Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds too much added salt doesn't work for them.

7. Obi-wan

Obi-wan Member

I have been experimenting with ACV, sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate. SB gives me energy and PB kind of makes me feel fatigued. So I decide to combine the ACV/SB/PB and like the mix producing a sodium/potassium acetate. This will combine with CoA and form acetyl-CoA and feed the Krebs cycle. Both inner potassium and outer sodium keep the cell at a potential. Hopefully a -70 to -80 mV resting potential. In regards to Glycolysis you need PDH to convert Pyruvate to acetyl-CoA. Thiamine (Vit. B1) upregulates PDH. @ImprovingDaily try a 100mg capsule of B1 and a glass of Mexi coke and see the results...Lactic acid causes brain fog, Carbon dioxide gets rid of it

8. Mito

Mito Member