Pulse goes up, but not temps

artemis

I've been taking the tiniest crumb possible of cynoplus for 4 weeks now (maybe 1/16th of a pill?). No T3 yet.

The problem is my pulse goes way up, like usually around 90 - 100, sometimes up to 120, but my temps do not rise. Temps stay in the 95's in the mornings and 96's during the day. The high pulse doesn't usually bother me (coming from a lifetime of pulse around 50, it feels pretty good!) I've searched the forum for info on this, but have only found the opposite issue -- it seems it's much more common for people to have their temps rise but the pulse lags.

So, after finding no info on this, I decided to email Dr. Peat . And he responded the same day!
So I'm sharing his response:

RP: "Do you have seafood regularly? A deficiency of selenium can cause odd responses to thyroxin. Have you had your vitamin D and cholesterol measured? Low cholesterol can limit the production of progesterone and DHEA in response to thyroid. Have you tried a pregnenolone supplement? Those steroids tend to support a bigger, slower heartbeat."

I do eat lots of shellfish -- oysters/shrimp/crabs/crawfish pretty much every day. On the odd day that I don't have it, I take a selenium supplement. So that's out.
I do take pregnenolone and Progest-E, and just started 5mg DHEA. So I guess that's out, too.
I have not had my vitamin D or cholesterol measured. Time for some labwork!

answersfound

I don't get this from an evolutionary standpoint. Theoretically, if thyroid comes from an animal, shouldn't all the nutrients needed for it to work properly come from the same animal? Aren't there cultures that thrived without eating any seafood?

Dan W

lookingforanswers said:
Theoretically, if thyroid comes from an animal, shouldn't all the nutrients needed for it to work properly come from the same animal?
I've never found actual numbers, but supposedly the thyroid itself is a concentrated source of selenium.

andvanwyk

Meat in general is an excellent source of selenium as long as the animals have access to food that contains selenium.

SQu

I have this pattern but the pulse is not as high in my case. I do not have evidence for this (other than other estrogen signs) but my understanding is the low temp could be due to estrogen. BUT Ray didn't mention estrogen to you at all. So maybe not. He does talk about estrogen lowering temp in his flushing articles and interviews.

Nor did he mention magnesium, which I think he recommends taking while you are raising the thyroid dose. Personally I find magnesium in the form of mag bicarb water to be really helpful. When I raised my dose recently, magnesium seemed to smooth the process when I added it in.

OP
artemis

artemis

sueq said:
I have this pattern but the pulse is not as high in my case. I do not have evidence for this (other than other estrogen signs) but my understanding is the low temp could be due to estrogen. BUT Ray didn't mention estrogen to you at all. So maybe not. He does talk about estrogen lowering temp in his flushing articles and interviews.

Nor did he mention magnesium, which I think he recommends taking while you are raising the thyroid dose. Personally I find magnesium in the form of mag bicarb water to be really helpful. When I raised my dose recently, magnesium seemed to smooth the process when I added it in.

That's true, sueq, it could very well be estrogen. I've been slacking off Progest-E lately, mainly going by the way the veins on my hands look, and they usually look pretty good (of course, by "good" I mean smaller/harder to see, as opposed to the big blue bulging things I thought were normal!). I've even been skipping some days with the Progest-E -- I'll try to be more regular with it and see if that helps.

The magnesium is another good point. Haven't tried doing the magnesium bicarb water yet, just been taking a little magnesium glycinate powder at bedtime. I need to try the water.

The high pulse could be due to so many things. It's really kind of unfair to put Ray on the spot with these specific questions, when he knows absolutely nothing about the case! But I did look around a lot before bothering him, and hey, ya know, he's up for it, so why not?

I will say that, even though I've been taking pregnenolone for a couple months now, the recent addition of DHEA seems to be a really good thing. Just overall mood the last few days since I've started it is just noticeably better. Might be placebo/coincidence, time will tell. Since pregnenolone is supposed to make DHEA as needed, it doesn't really make sense to me, but I just know this low-dose (5mg) DHEA feels like it's hitting some spot I didn't even know needed to be hit. Ray's insight that "these steroids tend to support a stronger, slower heartbeat" is so helpful. He is such an amazing, giving, selfless person.

SQu

A lot of people seem to get the high pulse / adrenalin reaction when adding thyroid. I did too though fortunately quite mild, but it reminded me of what he said somewhere, that thyroid supps can uncover an underlying adrenalin state. More nutrition seems called for - protein + sugar and minerals.
Great that pregnenolone and dhea are working for you! I must revisit pregnenolone now that I tolerate other 'challenging' supps like b3 better. It took a while.
And yes, thank goodness for him. I owe him a lot!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals