CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Do White Button Mushrooms Have High FODMAP Content?

Discussion in 'Diet, Recipes' started by Logan-, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Logan-

Logan- Member

I am sensitive to FODMAPs. I can eat oyster mushrooms without any problems, but these mushrooms are known to be low in FODMAPs[1]. I got bored of eating oyster mushrooms and want to try white button mushrooms. Are they really high in FODMAPs?

I cook my mushrooms in a pressure cooker for about an hour. Does that reduce some of the FODMAPs? Are there anything I can do to reduce the FODMAP content of the mushrooms?

[1]: FODMAP Guide To Mushrooms - Learn which ones you can eat

"Did you think all mushrooms were off limits on a Low FODMAP Diet? While portobello, shiitake and button mushrooms are high in polyols, Monash testing has revealed that oyster mushrooms are low FODMAP! According to the Monash App, a serving size of 2 cups (172 g) is considered low in FODMAPs."
    https://stephanieclairmont.com/low-fodmap-mushrooms/

2. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

I think everyone should be concerned about FODMAPs, because they cause bacterial fermentation in the gut (think about serotonin), and they have the capacity to negatively affect gut health.

3. Zpol

Zpol Member

Bump this! I also cannot eat white button mushrooms because they are high FODMAP. I am frankly quite surprised that RP even recommends them since they are known to be highly fermentable in the gut. I see that he does indicate they be "well cooked" but I thought that was to reduce some of natural plant toxins they sometimes contain not necessarily because of making them less fermentable.

I looked into oyster mushrooms too (because of them being low fodmap) but they do not have the same nutritional benefits, plus I cannot find fresh ones (only canned or jarred which i avoid) so i never tried them. From what I understand, it has not been scientifically determined if cooking reduces the FODMAP content of foods enough to consider them 'low' fodmap.

I hope someone else who is sensitive to FODMAPs can chime in as to whether pressure cooking them is enough to make them gut friendly.

4. Spokey

Spokey Member

Have you directly experienced problems with mushrooms?

5. Zpol

Zpol Member

Oh yes. Ive had them baked and sauteed but not pressure cooked. I'll try that next. I'm slightly afraid though because my last experience was quite painful.

6. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

Yesterday I tried white button mushrooms for the first time since the last decade. Cooked it in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes. It caused a mild diarrhea which I never experience with oyster mushrooms.

7. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

I personally get gas from white mushrooms. The FODMAP diet is interesting. What do you substitute dairy with?

8. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

I don't eat/drink diary products. I have sensitivity to milk proteins casein and whey.

9. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

But what do you get protein and sugars from?

10. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

Ray said he had issues with wbm until he decided to grind them, ecstatichamster did the same.I seem to do ok with small amounts cut into small parts, and for the record I don't tolerate onions, garlic etc.. (it could be sulphur) . I don't see how they can ferment, in my case the small bits mostly comes out as they came in, this isn't the case for carrots. On the other hand these kind of fibers can be very irritating, this true for bamboom shoots as well.

11. Zpol

Zpol Member

I also can't eat dairy, not even goat or A2 (it causes excruciating widespread nerve pain and psoriasis flare up). My doctor says it's because the villi in my guts have lost their tips which are needed to properly digest whey and casein. I'm researching ways to heal the guts (villi, epithilial layer and mucous membrane), which is one of the things that led me to investigate mushrooms. I don't know if it's same story for the OP but I thought I'd chime in since we have similar gut issues. I personally eat grass fed beef, pastured eggs, chicken breast, zero fat tuna, haddock, cod, vital proteins Marine collagen, Uncle Matt's or Naked OJ, oranges, apples, mangoes, pineapple, cane sugar ginger ale, jennies coconut macaroons, plantains, Dandelion and nettle tea for minerals, egg shell calcium. I hope the OP will let us know what he eats to replace dairy as well...it's not easy to do so I'm always looking for other ideas.

Ohh, perhaps a mushroom smoothie then?! Lol.
    Seriously thanks for this.

12. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

I'm pretty sure he grinds the wbm to smoke them. Accidentally this should have a large anti- estrogenic effect on the lungs and the brain.

13. Zpol

Zpol Member

Oh I see! In an email RP asked me "Have you tried cooked mushrooms as a fibrous food?" ... so I suppose the benefit for me specifically would be in eating them. Thanks for clarifying.

14. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

Apparently I didn't because I was joking about the smoking part. He does grind them but only to eat them and clean the insides (afaik) .

15. Zpol

Zpol Member

Oh...heh! LOL!! Omg, i'm way too serious sometimes.

16. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

Protein: Red meat, bone broth, shrimp, organ meats, occasionally organic chicken.
    Sugars: Organic jams, cherry juice made with sucrose, watermelon, apples if I find without chemicals (naturally growing). I can't drink/eat citrus fruits because citrus fruits are potent histamine liberators[1].

[1]: Then there’s a second category of foods that don’t contain histamine themselves, but can cause your body to release more of it. These foods include:

• Fruits and vegetables: citrus fruit, papaya, strawberries, pineapple, tomatoes, spinach
    • Meat: Fish, shellfish, and pork
    • Other foods: Chocolate, nuts, and raw egg white

All About Histamines | Paleo Leap

Histamine liberators:

• Most citric fruits – kiwi, lemon, lime, pineapple, plums…
    • Cocoa and chocolate
    • Nuts
    • Papaya
    • Beans and pulses
    • Tomatoes
    • Wheat germ
    • Additives – benzoate, sulphites, nitrites, glutamate, food dyes
    The Food List | Histamine Intolerance

Some foods, while low in histamines themselves, are known as histamine liberators, meaning that they help to release histamine from other foods.

Foods with histamine-releasing properties include citrus, peanuts, fish, shellfish, and egg whites.

What Is Histamine?