Crashed Estrogen With White Button Mushrooms?

youngsinatra

Hey everyone,

Lately I have included a pretty large amount of well-cooked white button mushrooms in my diet because they are delicious and nutritious.

I ate between 500-800g per day roughly. (raw weight)

I noticed some things that I associate with low estrogen. I feel absolutely asexual and my mind is unable to lust. I normally have sex 2-3 times a day and am lusty AF and the last 2-3 weeks I almost had no sex at all bc of no real interest. I also feel pretty flat emotional wise. Like I feel cold hearted yet driven and motivated for work but no interest in relationship stuff or sex. Besides that I noticed an increase in joint dryness.

The only change is the large addition of mushrooms.

I just cutted out mushrooms for now and will update the next days if there is a change.

What you think

Charlieb91

I sometimes get this less than desired low libido effect. Is there a safe way to increase estrogen?
Obviously cut down on the estrogen lowering foods. Extra vitamin D should help the joints as it did for me.

InChristAlone

I can't help but think this is a good thing, especially with your vitamin A toxicity. If you were having sex 2-3 times a day then your estrogen was pretty dang high. It might just take some getting used to and adjusting to it being lower, and maybe as your liver gets healthier you will return to producing enough to have sex more often.

Jerkboy

Yea could be. Lower estrogen does cause less mental sex drive.

I can't help but think this is a good thing, especially with your vitamin A toxicity. If you were having sex 2-3 times a day then your estrogen was pretty dang high. It might just take some getting used to and adjusting to it being lower, and maybe as your liver gets healthier you will return to producing enough to have sex more often.
I see a lot of people on RPF say stuff like this. Assuming a man has pefect hormones, how often should he want to have sex?

InChristAlone

I see a lot of people on RPF say stuff like this. Assuming a man has pefect hormones, how often should he want to have sex?
I don't think I can answer that. But assuming he is ejaculating more than once a day that seems a little excessive, maybe not for a 20 yr old, but I know what health issues he is dealing with so to me it seems excessive. Constantly thinking of sex can wear you down. He said he still has motivation so it seems healthier to be focused on his life rather than being lustful. I have felt what it's like to constantly desire and it isn't all fun. Needing sex multiple times a day isn't sustainable in the long run.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I noticed a reduction in estrogen when taking a spoonful of the liquid from the cooked mushrooms. After 2 days of this I had a horrible rebound effect where estrogenic symptoms were very obvious. Apparently the aromatase inhibition was great but that rebound where my body wanted to get back to "normal" was awful. Now I only eat a few of the actual mushrooms at a time.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I noticed a reduction in estrogen when taking a spoonful of the liquid from the cooked mushrooms. After 2 days of this I had a horrible rebound effect where estrogenic symptoms were very obvious. Apparently the aromatase inhibition was great but that rebound where my body wanted to get back to "normal" was awful. Now I only eat a few of the actual mushrooms at a time.
Mushrooms do not only inhibit aromatase significantly but also reduce estrogen biosynthesis.
I remember when I read a few studies on the effects of mushrooms consumption on breast cancer incidence, which showed significance at intakes of „only“ 75-100g a day, so that just speaks for itself.

The thing is that it not only reduces libido/lust but also blunts things regarding relationships. I feel like just don‘t caring about other opinions at all, I feel self-centered and also feel a reduction in compassion/kindness. I also feel unable to contemplate on past memories (no nostalgia)

I think being in this state is cool if you want to be on a journey alone while building your financial empire and achieving your goals. But if you are in a relationship (like me) I think it just does not work long term.

InChristAlone

Mushrooms do not only inhibit aromatase significantly but also reduce estrogen biosynthesis.
I remember when I read a few studies on the effects of mushrooms consumption on breast cancer incidence, which showed significance at intakes of „only“ 75-100g a day, so that just speaks for itself.

The thing is that it not only reduces libido/lust but also blunts things regarding relationships. I feel like just don‘t caring about other opinions at all, I feel self-centered and also feel a reduction in compassion/kindness. I also feel unable to contemplate on past memories (no nostalgia)

I think being in this state is cool if you want to be on a journey alone while building your financial empire and achieving your goals. But if you are in a relationship (like me) I think it just does not work long term.
I'm sorry I didn't know mushrooms were such a strong anti-estrogen. I don't agree with using too much anti-estrogen substances. I also believe estrogen is too maligned on this forum. I know what it's like to be low in youth hormones and it absolutely sucks. But I've been on the other end feeling too hypersexual and that wasn't good either.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter

Well, I think your lack of compassion/kindness and self-centeredness would be estrogenic. The mushrooms may reduce estrogen biosynthesis but I think the body is always seeking homeostasis and will reduce progesterone in order to balance the reduction of estrogen.

redsun

Hey everyone,

Lately I have included a pretty large amount of well-cooked white button mushrooms in my diet because they are delicious and nutritious.

I ate between 500-800g per day roughly. (raw weight)

I noticed some things that I associate with low estrogen. I feel absolutely asexual and my mind is unable to lust. I normally have sex 2-3 times a day and am lusty AF and the last 2-3 weeks I almost had no sex at all bc of no real interest. I also feel pretty flat emotional wise. Like I feel cold hearted yet driven and motivated for work but no interest in relationship stuff or sex. Besides that I noticed an increase in joint dryness.

The only change is the large addition of mushrooms.

I just cutted out mushrooms for now and will update the next days if there is a change.

What you think

Yep it seems white button mushroom phytochemicals have aromatase inhibiting properties that appear to be dose-dependent. And you consumed a lot too. Estrogen being reduced too much will reduce the activity of neurotransmitters involved in libido and will lower nitric oxide levels. Estrogen also is important in the emotional activity in the brain, which explains your anhedonia or flatlined emotional state.

"Heat-stable extracts were prepared from vegetables and screened for their ability to inhibit aromatase activity in a human placental microsome assay. The white button mushroom (species Agaricus bisporus) suppressed aromatase activity dose dependently. Enzyme kinetics demonstrated mixed inhibition, suggesting the presence of multiple inhibitors or more than one inhibitory mechanism. "In cell" aromatase activity and cell proliferation were measured using MCF-7aro, an aromatase-transfected breast cancer cell line. Phytochemicals in the mushroom aqueous extract inhibited aromatase activity and proliferation of MCF-7aro cells. These results suggest that diets high in mushrooms may modulate the aromatase activity and function in chemoprevention in postmenopausal women by reducing the in situ production of estrogen."

Libido is really not so simple. People nowadays are quite sick and libido tends to be lower. Probably a high libido is mostly a good thing. When teenagers hit puberty libido goes up but their whole system is on overdrive and they soon reach the prime of their life. One good thing about estrogen is raises dopamine by inhibit COMT. Women already have on average 30% higher baseline dopamine activity than men becausd of estrogen inhibiting COMT. Men inhibiting aromatase may put dopamine activity way too low and thus all these dopamine dependent processes (emotion, emotional connections, libido, sex drive, pleasure) suffer even harder in men.

"
COMT is decreased by estrogen [9], such that overall COMT activity in prefrontal cortex and other tissues is about 30% lower in women and girls than men and boys [10]. This diminished COMT activity translates to about 30% higher baseline dopamine levels in women than men [11].

Therefore, some researchers have suggested that SNPs that result in lower COMT (such as the A allele for rs4680) may be beneficial for men. Indeed, men with lower COMT have demonstrated improved performance on tasks dependent on the prefrontal cortex, whereas women have not [11]."

Last edited:

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Yep it seems white button mushroom phytochemicals have aromatase inhibiting properties that appear to be dose-dependent. And you consumed a lot too. Estrogen being reduced too much will reduce the activity of neurotransmitters involved in libido and will lower nitric oxide levels. Estrogen also is important in the emotional activity in the brain, which explains your anhedonia or flatlined emotional state.

"Heat-stable extracts were prepared from vegetables and screened for their ability to inhibit aromatase activity in a human placental microsome assay. The white button mushroom (species Agaricus bisporus) suppressed aromatase activity dose dependently. Enzyme kinetics demonstrated mixed inhibition, suggesting the presence of multiple inhibitors or more than one inhibitory mechanism. "In cell" aromatase activity and cell proliferation were measured using MCF-7aro, an aromatase-transfected breast cancer cell line. Phytochemicals in the mushroom aqueous extract inhibited aromatase activity and proliferation of MCF-7aro cells. These results suggest that diets high in mushrooms may modulate the aromatase activity and function in chemoprevention in postmenopausal women by reducing the in situ production of estrogen."

Libido is really not so simple. People nowadays are quite sick and libido tends to be lower. Probably a high libido is mostly a good thing. When teenagers hit puberty libido goes up but their whole system is on overdrive and they soon reach the prime of their life. One good thing about estrogen is raises dopamine by inhibit COMT. Women already have on average 30% higher baseline dopamine activity than men becausd of estrogen inhibiting COMT. Men inhibiting aromatase may put dopamine activity way too low and thus all these dopamine dependent processes (emotion, emotional connections, libido, sex drive, pleasure) suffer even harder in men.

"
COMT is decreased by estrogen [9], such that overall COMT activity in prefrontal cortex and other tissues is about 30% lower in women and girls than men and boys [10]. This diminished COMT activity translates to about 30% higher baseline dopamine levels in women than men [11].

Therefore, some researchers have suggested that SNPs that result in lower COMT (such as the A allele for rs4680) may be beneficial for men. Indeed, men with lower COMT have demonstrated improved performance on tasks dependent on the prefrontal cortex, whereas women have not [11]."

Extremely well said.

The anhedonia/flat line effect definitely coincides with lower "brain" libido for me.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

"

Well said!