White button mushrooms are androgen antagonist

Hans

Forum Supporter
I found this interesting. Apart from its known aromatase inhibitory effects, it might be an androgen receptor (AR) antagonist, blocking the effects of DHT. However, it does seem that the AI effect is stronger than the AR antagonistic effects. This might be why when people eat very large amounts, experience lower libido and erections.

"The inhibitory effect of CLA-9Z11E (IC50: 350 nM) (a compound in white button mushrooms) was nearly two times stronger than the known AR antagonist, cyproterone acetate (IC50: 672 nM)." (R) The study is in prostate cells.

"The present study on C57BL/6 mice revealed that WBM is a unique functional food that (A) interrupts AR-mediated TMPRSS2 expression in prostate, lungs, small intestine, and kidneys through its AR antagonistic activity and (B) attenuates serum pro-inflammatory cytokines and reduces MDSC counts through its immunoregulatory activity." (R)

Have you noticed different effects with different doses of WBM?

Smitty

For those who choose mushrooms over the carrot salad, what amount do you consume?

I typically have about 50-70g per day but haven’t noticed any libido reduction.

Last edited:

VitoScaletta

You have to boil them for a long time (I do 3 hours on very high gas setting having to add water often) and also discard the water and add more multiple times when boiling when it runs out. Smallest amount you should cut them is 1/4. Also helps peeling them.

I think this should help. bare in mind this info is based only on things i read on this forum

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
You have to boil them for a long time (I do 3 hours on very high gas setting having to add water often) and also discard the water and add more multiple times when boiling when it runs out. Smallest amount you should cut them is 1/4. Also helps peeling them.

I think this should help. bare in mind this info is based only on things i read on this forum
Boiling or proper cooking won't reduce the anti-androgenic effects, but it will improve general digestion.

Ras

Do you find the effects to be worth all that gas and effort?

T

tca300

Yup. This is why I stopped eating them years ago. Not only did they tank my libido but they caused depression. My experience is that any food I've tried that is known to have anti aromatase activity also seems to negatively effect 5-AR some how. Thats my experience anyway.

Giraffe

I think the quotes in the OP come from one of the followig papers:

White button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) disrupts androgen receptor signaling in human prostate cancer cells and patient-derived xenograft

"The objective of the present study was to investigate the mechanism of WBM extract on AR-dependent PSA production in viable tumor cells. Our previous study reported that WBM extract induced apoptosis in PCa cells (LNCaP and PC3) at a concentration of 20 μL/mL [12]. Thus, we performed a cell viability assay and checked for apoptosis markers on LNCaP, VCaP, PC3, and RWPE-1 cells at varying concentrations of WBM extract (1~20 μL/mL) for 48h, with or without DHT supplementation (1 nM). The results showed that at a high concentration (20 μL/mL), WBM exhibited a cytotoxic effect on all PCa cell lines, except for the human non-cancerous prostate cell line (RWPE-1) (Supplementary Figure 1A and 1B). However, at low concentrations (1~5 μL/mL), androgen-dependent PCa cell lines (LNCaP and VCaP) were more sensitive to WBM when DHT was present (Supplementary Figure 1A). The western blot from LNCaP cells further indicated that in the presence of DHT and at a concentration of 10 μL/mL of WBM, anti-apoptotic markers (Bcl-2/XL) significantly decreased and, the pro-apoptotic marker (Bax) and cleaved-caspases 3 increased. (Supplementary Figure 1C). We interpreted that WBM exhibited mild cytotoxicity at a low dose (1~5 μL/mL) in androgen-responsive PCa cells."

White button mushroom interrupts tissue AR-mediated TMPRSS2 expression and attenuates pro-inflammatory cytokines in C57BL/6 mice

"White button mushroom (WBM) is a common edible mushroom consumed in the United States and many European and Asia-Pacific countries. We previously reported that dietary WBM antagonized dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-induced androgen receptor (AR) activation and reduced myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs) in prostate cancer animal models and patients. Transmembrane protease serine 2 (TMPRSS2), an androgen-induced protease in prostate cancer, has been implicated in influenza and coronavirus entry into the host cell, triggering host immune response. The present study on C57BL/6 mice revealed that WBM is a unique functional food that (A) interrupts AR-mediated TMPRSS2 expression in prostate, lungs, small intestine, and kidneys through its AR antagonistic activity and (B) attenuates serum pro-inflammatory cytokines and reduces MDSC counts through its immunoregulatory activity. These findings provide a scientific basis for translational studies toward clinical applications of WBM in diseases related to TMPRSS2 expression and immune dysregulation."

"Our PDX showed that oral intake of WBM extract (200 mg/kg/day) suppressed tumor growth and decreased PSA levels in both tumors and serum. In the present study, we also identified a conjugated linoleic acid isomer (CLA-9Z11E) as a strong AR antagonist by performing LanthaScreen™ TR-FRET AR Coactivator Interaction Assays. The inhibitory effect of CLA-9Z11E (IC50: 350 nM) was nearly two times stronger than the known AR antagonist, cyproterone acetate (IC50: 672 nM). The information gained from this study improves the overall understanding of how WBM may contribute to the prevention and treatment of PCa."

@gilson d dantas

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals