Do the Amish cook with vegetable oil and iron-enriched flour?

SOMO

I'm pretty sure they use their own milled flour wherever possible and aren't buying the flour from the grocery store. And if they are buying it from other Amish, it's probably less processed.

Jon2547

This is the best question to be asked. I'm glad that this was brought up. These two factors are probably the most fundamental to the rise in morbidity over the last 90 years, iron enriched foods and soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, basically all PUFAs.

Summer

I always thought they ate only what they grew. I don’t see them growing those types of plants and processing the seeds to extract oil when they probably have plenty of butter on hand.

Robert5493

The Amish boys in my hunting group bring beer Coke, and chips along with homemade pickled eggs etc.
So assume there are as wide a range amongst Amish people as there are in other religions.

Redroad

Yes around here their frequently in stores as big as Walmart for example. They eat twinkes and little debbies , they love hotdogs and notorious for a bargain at the store so whatever is cheap. I seen quite a few in the pediatric hospital with all types of problems. But with all that said I buy my eggs from a Amish family and they have a bunch of healthy looking kids. The teenager young man is as strong as a mule which is probably a combination of things as diet , work, genes, and many more.

DMF

Speaking of Amish, how do they dealing with Covid - vaccines ?

I go to an ice cream shop that is owned by Amish and they claim their food is from the Amish. They have some canned and packaged foods that do employed sunflower oil, etc. Their ice cream is wonderful though!
I suspect that the food they use for their own families may be different than what they produce for market.

akgrrrl

This is the best question to be asked. I'm glad that this was brought up. These two factors are probably the most fundamental to the rise in morbidity over the last 90 years, iron enriched foods and soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, basically all PUFAs.
THIS!!! I have been saying WHICH wheat...WHICH milk....WHICH oj...over and over. Nobody seems to hear, as if they were all alike.
People have no idea the long storied versions of evolution our wheat, oj, and milk. Not a clue. 3 of the single most important foods since this last iteration of civilization, ignored.
Arrrrrgh.

RealNeat

Anyone know if there are any Amish people on the RPF maybe one that snuck off to a library or something after finding a RP article stapled to a tree?

In all reality someone should evangelize RP articles to Amish communities. They are going to be a good control if their communities/ vicinity are left free of 5G.

Jokes aside, I think they are wise people who shouldn't forget why they do what they do, like the modern farmers for Big Ag who are remembering what their great grandfathers did and are returning back to regenerative agriculture after too much suffering both within their families and the world at large.

LUH 3417

I get food from an Amish farm and they seem to only cook with einkorn flour and use things like coconut oil. There are many diff kinds of Amish however.

hei

Do they cook using white or wholemeal flour?
I know fibrephobes prefer white flour but as far as I can tell traditional wheat-eating cultures ate the whole grain and removing the part that contains the vitamins and minerals was an industrial revolution 'innovation'.

OccamzRazer

Does anyone know?
Yes. I worked on an Amish construction crew and made friends with them.

Many Amish people are not especially healthy. They eat tons of fried food (and not just fried in butter or coconut oil, either). They also seem to love buffets and low-quality treats like poptarts.

In addition to that, it seems like they're working with a somewhat limited gene pool when it comes to reproduction.

(That didn't stop some of the Amish girls from being quite attractive, however. And they certainly knew how to treat a man with R E S P E C T.)

OccamzRazer

Do they cook using white or wholemeal flour?
I know fibrephobes prefer white flour but as far as I can tell traditional wheat-eating cultures ate the whole grain and removing the part that contains the vitamins and minerals was an industrial revolution 'innovation'.
The ones I know use white processed everything.

That being said, the Amish are quite diverse and their practices may vary from one community to the next!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals