Safest way to cook shanks?

Discussion in 'Meat' started by Satan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Satan

Satan Member

I found lamb shanks at the store the other day. LAMB meat with a bone goin through? Sounds like the perfect cut for a Peatarian. I've been looking around the internet trying to find the best way to cook it. Some say oven baked, some say put it in a slow cooker. I know slow cooking is bad for oxidizing cholesterol. I might just chop it up and fry the pieces.

I'm not the most artsy person in the kitchen, nor do I care to be. Can anyone suggest a good, simple way to cook it?

2. Asimov

Asimov Member

Fried lamb shank is going to be close to inedible.

Just put it in a slow cooker/dutch oven and braise it in some flavorful cooking liquid with some tasty veggies and plenty of salt.

3. Jenn

Jenn Member

Boil with onions and potatoes it until it falls off the bones, then fish the bone out and add extra gelatin and salt and call it yummy.

4. OP
    Satan

Satan Member

Boiling sounds easy. Should I simmer it in a crock pot like making broth, or actually boil it? How long would this take?

5. Jenn

Jenn Member

Oh, simmer. It's important to get the water boiling first, the potatoes never seem to cook right otherwise, then turn it down and simmer.