Are there any curry/pasta sauces to buy that don't have vegetable oils?

Such_Umami

I don't have time to prepair everything. I'd like to be able to buy a few sauces which I can quickly cook up if needed. However, I'm having trouble finding anything other than bolognese sauces made from olive oil (not saturated I know). Thai green curry is supposed to be made with coconut fat but all the ones I've seen have rapeseed or sunflower oil in. Also korma is a coconut sauce but again, it's hard to find one without somekind of vegetable oil.

Any suggestions?

mostlylurking

Keep reading the backs of the cans. I've found that in my area I can find organic pizza sauce (HEB Organics brand) with no PUFA. It's pretty good!

I just use curry powder and wing it, never tried the store bought curry sauces.

Just because something is labeled "organic" does not mean it's good for you. There's all kinds of undesirable additives thrown in. Carrageenan, guar gum, etc.

ursidae

I used to use organic tomato paste in glass in the past but I realised that during preparation it might be leaching a lot of nickel, chromium, aluminium depending on what pot it was boiled in. I realised that when I switched to a different organic brand in glass once and it tasted metallic.

Makrosky

Hey mate. How was your fasting experience? Eager to hear how was it.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Hey mate. How was your fasting experience? Eager to hear how was it.
If I recall, I set out the goal for 40 days. I didn't make that and I stopped it at 28. I had some incredible experiences, firstly it was very difficult. My psoriasis got very dark like bruises, the coating on my tongue started to disapear at about 14 days. When I got to about day 24, almost all the coating had left. I started meditating on the 27th and experienced a nirvana like state. At this point though I had some clear messages that I started tapping into some of my essential stores so I stopped. After the fast, I shat out the biggest ***t of all time, it was the shape of my colon and it divided into several segments which would have likely spanned my whole intestine. I actually felt and heard it break apart. It looked exactly like clay. Once it broke apart it evacuated really quickly and all at once. I literally felt violated in reverse, it was pretty painful. After that I went back to bed and started tripping out. I had all kinds of visions, most of them centered around success and strength (and several that I still can't comprehend), an example of these visions was I was around a table with friends at a very fancy club wearing suit and waistcoat and smoking cigars with them. Another had me flexing my muscles and I could feel insane power in them. Another I opened a toy rocket ship and I threw it to the constellation lyra. It was a very crazy night! In the following days I found that I had incredible control over my muscle, I could lay down and "release" them when I realised them, I felt a wave of heat pass over me. I did this several times and again tripped out again in a similar way. It's a shame because I thought I'd be able to keep relaxing them until all my postural problems was perfected, this was not the case and after a few days, I became normal again.

Since this fast, I have shocked people with my age when I tell them I'm 37 (I'm 38 now). Many people are nice and say you look young as a kind of nicety but their reactions were very shocking, one guy even honestly thought I was lying about it. I do attribute this to my various fasts for the most part. My psoriasis has much improved since but not gone completely. Weirdly enough, my living standards took a turn for the worse and I couldn't go back to fasting because I didn't have enough money to take the time off. This ended in 2020 when crypto went on a parabolic run and now I'm as good as retired.

It's funny you should ask about my fasting again because since I became financially free, I went down a bit of a rocky path and got into drugs, alcohol and a lot of junk food. This was the trappings of wealth and lockdown. However, I've recently decided to start another waterfast. I am currently on day 6. I had to get away from my appartment where I had too many bad habits as I knew I'd never be able to fast there anymore so I've rented a little place in order to do it. I'm going to finish my fast on the 20th and it should be about 17/18 days.

I know ray peat doesn't like fasting because physiological changes in regards to stress hormones, however I think these are short term and the health benefits far outweigh the negatives. I'm currently researching ray peat stuff and thought of ways to implement it more easily than I did before (which required a lot of cooking). This will help me get off the drugs and fast food. My protocol is going to be fasting down and then building back with ray peat philosophy and keep doing that over and over again. I read in a book by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada that to reach enlightenment you should do this. The problem was that his build back nutrition was limited.

I've another theory; when I track my weight on my tanita scales (which also measure muscles mass/body fat etc), I found it impossible to cut fat whilst holding mass or even losing more fat than muscle mass (I track this very strictly, eliminating as many variables as possible). This was even whilst doing strict ray peat protocol. However when I fast, I lose more fat than muscle mass. My hypothesis is that when I build back (with rp protocol), I should be able to put on more muscle mass than fat relatively. If this turns out to be true, then it would be a big revelation and when I start maxing out could mean that I'm ready for another fast again.

Anyway, hopefully this wasn't too long.

Dave Clark

Are you opposed to olive oil in the pasta sauce? I find many with either no oil or olive oil, which is a bit better than any vegetable oil that is high PUFA. I have to look further, but I also had a few jarred curry brands that had no oils, although they are few and far between.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Are you opposed to olive oil in the pasta sauce? I find many with either no oil or olive oil, which is a bit better than any vegetable oil that is high PUFA. I have to look further, but I also had a few jarred curry brands that had no oils, although they are few and far between.
I'm not opposed to it, I was just looking for perfection :)

I won't eat much of it. Hopefully 80% of the time I'll be cooking and creating food that is 100% inline with RP philosophies. It's just that my problem was when I failed to cook something, I resorted to fast food. Hopefully if I pack out my flat with delicious fast food which is compatible with RP, when I don't have time to cook, I can simply throw in some gluten free pasta and some cooking sauce and I won't go down the rabbit hole of fast food which leads to drugs which leads to alcohol.

Sitaruîm

What do you think about dry fasting? I'm gonna experiment with a single 24 hour fast every week, starting today. After a while I'm also gonna try 48 hour fasts fortnightly, so as to increase the intensity of the fast without changing the average amount of time spent fasting. The idea is finding a balance between the stress produced by fasting and seeking benefits such as those reported in this article. Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

What do you think about dry fasting? I'm gonna experiment with a single 24 hour fast every week, starting today. After a while I'm also gonna try 48 hour fasts fortnightly, so as to increase the intensity of the fast without changing the average amount of time spent fasting. The idea is finding a balance between the stress produced by fasting and seeking benefits such as those reported in this article. Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy
That's something I have managed to do because you can dry fast over short periods of time. My maximum is 5 days which I've achieved twice. I've done many 96hour, 72 hour and shorter.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Though there certainly are amazing benefits, I'm at the current belief that water fasting is overall better because you are eliminating the waste through your bladder and also have the water to deposit waste into your colon. I pay very close attention to my dreams and they also seem to corroborate the idea that water fasting is better. Having said this, I plan to dry fast when I've cleared my tongue completely because I've never experienced that amount of coating as I did when on a dry fast. I want my tongue to be completely clear, even during a dry fast. However, I'm going down the waterfast route to achieve it for the most part.

I'm not saying that I am correct however. I change my mind quite a lot as my understanding evolves. It's just that right now, I think that waterfasting is superior despite the enhanced autophagic response of dry fasting.

btw, your fasting protocol sounds very good. I think when I'm completely clear of toxins, I will reduce my long fasts in favour of that kind of protocol.

Makrosky

If I recall, I set out the goal for 40 days. I didn't make that and I stopped it at 28. I had some incredible experiences, firstly it was very difficult. My psoriasis got very dark like bruises, the coating on my tongue started to disapear at about 14 days. When I got to about day 24, almost all the coating had left. I started meditating on the 27th and experienced a nirvana like state. At this point though I had some clear messages that I started tapping into some of my essential stores so I stopped. After the fast, I shat out the biggest ***t of all time, it was the shape of my colon and it divided into several segments which would have likely spanned my whole intestine. I actually felt and heard it break apart. It looked exactly like clay. Once it broke apart it evacuated really quickly and all at once. I literally felt violated in reverse, it was pretty painful. After that I went back to bed and started tripping out. I had all kinds of visions, most of them centered around success and strength (and several that I still can't comprehend), an example of these visions was I was around a table with friends at a very fancy club wearing suit and waistcoat and smoking cigars with them. Another had me flexing my muscles and I could feel insane power in them. Another I opened a toy rocket ship and I threw it to the constellation lyra. It was a very crazy night! In the following days I found that I had incredible control over my muscle, I could lay down and "release" them when I realised them, I felt a wave of heat pass over me. I did this several times and again tripped out again in a similar way. It's a shame because I thought I'd be able to keep relaxing them until all my postural problems was perfected, this was not the case and after a few days, I became normal again.

Since this fast, I have shocked people with my age when I tell them I'm 37 (I'm 38 now). Many people are nice and say you look young as a kind of nicety but their reactions were very shocking, one guy even honestly thought I was lying about it. I do attribute this to my various fasts for the most part. My psoriasis has much improved since but not gone completely. Weirdly enough, my living standards took a turn for the worse and I couldn't go back to fasting because I didn't have enough money to take the time off. This ended in 2020 when crypto went on a parabolic run and now I'm as good as retired.

It's funny you should ask about my fasting again because since I became financially free, I went down a bit of a rocky path and got into drugs, alcohol and a lot of junk food. This was the trappings of wealth and lockdown. However, I've recently decided to start another waterfast. I am currently on day 6. I had to get away from my appartment where I had too many bad habits as I knew I'd never be able to fast there anymore so I've rented a little place in order to do it. I'm going to finish my fast on the 20th and it should be about 17/18 days.

I know ray peat doesn't like fasting because physiological changes in regards to stress hormones, however I think these are short term and the health benefits far outweigh the negatives. I'm currently researching ray peat stuff and thought of ways to implement it more easily than I did before (which required a lot of cooking). This will help me get off the drugs and fast food. My protocol is going to be fasting down and then building back with ray peat philosophy and keep doing that over and over again. I read in a book by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada that to reach enlightenment you should do this. The problem was that his build back nutrition was limited.

I've another theory; when I track my weight on my tanita scales (which also measure muscles mass/body fat etc), I found it impossible to cut fat whilst holding mass or even losing more fat than muscle mass (I track this very strictly, eliminating as many variables as possible). This was even whilst doing strict ray peat protocol. However when I fast, I lose more fat than muscle mass. My hypothesis is that when I build back (with rp protocol), I should be able to put on more muscle mass than fat relatively. If this turns out to be true, then it would be a big revelation and when I start maxing out could mean that I'm ready for another fast again.

Anyway, hopefully this wasn't too long.
Hey mate, thanks a lot for sharing. Impressive. It wasn't too long no, please feel free to add anything you want.

I am not sure what to say honestly, as it seems the fasting did some good things for you (psoriasis) but threw you in a rollercoaster in life which might indicate a big psychic turmoil that you might have not been able to process adequately (this can happen with psychedelics). As decribed by the visions you had.

Or maybe it precipitated needed changes. But the changes you describe do not seem very supportive? As the crypto raising is not under your control but all the other stuff.... Please don't feel I am judging you because I am not. Just trying to gauge how beneficial the fast was, after all.

Anyother permanent changes besides the psoriasis improving a lot?

I also believe there must be something to fasting, as it has been used for millenia. When something is used for such long time in different places, cultures and times, there is something to it for sure.

O

oldfriend

I don't have time to prepair everything. I'd like to be able to buy a few sauces which I can quickly cook up if needed. However, I'm having trouble finding anything other than bolognese sauces made from olive oil (not saturated I know). Thai green curry is supposed to be made with coconut fat but all the ones I've seen have rapeseed or sunflower oil in. Also korma is a coconut sauce but again, it's hard to find one without somekind of vegetable oil.

Any suggestions?
When I used to make Thai curries I would use tubs of Mae Ploy Curry Paste which have no added oil. If you don't want to use olive oil, you might have to make other sauces from scratch.
Re: Fasting, there was a thread about potato starch and milk fasting (for lack of a better term?) from some time last year. Before milk is started, you have to fast on fruit until the coating on your tongue clears. I think it took only 3 or 4 days for me to achieve this. I think fruit fasting is good. It doesn't stress the body like true fasting for one, and it promotes fast and frequent transit which probably aids in modulating bacteria etc. I guess it might depend on what you're trying to achieve? I'm not super knowledgable about that stuff just saw your comment about tongue coating.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Yes, fruit fasting is very good for you. I've done that quite a bit too. It is very good because you keep flushing out your colon whilst detoxing. I think the toxins that are deposited in your colon contribute to feeling bad, maybe an enema would help but I don't want to get anything stuffed up my arse.

O

oldfriend

Yes, fruit fasting is very good for you. I've done that quite a bit too. It is very good because you keep flushing out your colon whilst detoxing. I think the toxins that are deposited in your colon contribute to feeling bad, maybe an enema would help but I don't want to get anything stuffed up my arse.
Yeah I had to get over that stigma and found enemas can actually be a very health-promoting practice, especially in cleansing or fasting scenarios. Ray peat talks a lot about endotoxin, and also about how candida becomes invasive when starved and I'd guess that fruit fasting would avoid both of these issues. I.e. you want to expel bacteria and candida, not starve them out.

O

oldfriend

Also, I should mention that I had to eat a lot of fruit to get to that regimens goal of 3 or 4 bowel movements per day, but I think that was an important factor. Fiber is deceiving and gives one the sensation of being full with less calories, so it easy to undereat and probably not eat enough to get the desired effect as well.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Hey mate, thanks a lot for sharing. Impressive. It wasn't too long no, please feel free to add anything you want.

I am not sure what to say honestly, as it seems the fasting did some good things for you (psoriasis) but threw you in a rollercoaster in life which might indicate a big psychic turmoil that you might have not been able to process adequately (this can happen with psychedelics). As decribed by the visions you had.

Or maybe it precipitated needed changes. But the changes you describe do not seem very supportive? As the crypto raising is not under your control but all the other stuff.... Please don't feel I am judging you because I am not. Just trying to gauge how beneficial the fast was, after all.

Anyother permanent changes besides the psoriasis improving a lot?

I also believe there must be something to fasting, as it has been used for millenia. When something is used for such long time in different places, cultures and times, there is something to it for sure.
I think my skin is very good for someone my age, this seems to be a permanent thing (at least for now). Many people my age show signs of aging on the skin. The psoriasis clearing up is a huge thing. I used to have to put on creams everyday and still it was terrible, both calf muscles were coated in psoriasis along with my upper arms, chest and face. It's what actually got me into fasting because I tried everything else. Now I don't wear any creams but a few patches remain (which I'm going to work on now).

I don't believe my fasting caused me to drop off the deep end. I think that these things were set in play well before with my bad choices in life but only manifested afterwards. Lockdown put me in a situation where all I had was drugs, drink and money, that's a terrible combination.

Another big permanent change was that I had a shoulder injury, and I can't trace it to anything like an accident but I think it was due to my posture. The pain got so bad that I couldn't sit at my desk for more than an hour before it became excruciating. At home I could just move around until it felt better but I couldn't really do that at the office. However I think what healed it was my ability to relax my muscles. Even though I didn't notice much postural changes, I think that this relaxation helped my shoulder to be better aligned and no longer exert so much pressure on the joint. I literally went into the fast with this bad shoulder and came out of it without any noticeable pain whatsoever. It's like it never happened. The fast 100% did that.

There are other things but I can't attribute them purely down to fasting. Like I said, I've tried everything. And some of them work.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

No prob.

I would like to add that there was something else which is perhaps even more powerful than fasting. A kind of meditation which I developed created a massive detoxification effect. This was before my last fast. I had this problem that I just daydreamed all day. So I decided to simply stop daydreaming as an experiment. After a few weeks I noticed my sleep had radically improved. I also noticed hair regrowth at my temples and much healthier hair. The key to this meditation is to not try too hard, you don't need complete silence, just to halt the thoughts that you can do without effort or stress. I've noticed that when I try to meditate too hard, I can't sustain it and fall back to my default daydreaming. But when I put little effort in but make sure I am consistently doing it (like 24 hours a day) it becomes quite easy to do. The first day you might realise that you're still daydreaming but by the 5th week or so, daydreaming felt very weird to me. I would wake up in strong meditation. My goal each day would be to daydream slightly less than the day before. This way the meditation was very easy and non stressful and not a radical shakeup of my life. I would still watch youtube and entertainment but this time I didn't wander off. I would highly recommend this to anyone as I believe it's the most powerful thing.

Rym

Ditto oldfriend @16 in using curry paste if you can't find a suitable canned one. I have a Maesri red curry paste that you just add coconut milk and protein/veggie/rice of choice, no PUFA. Or you could use a suitable preblend curry. I have S&B Japenese curry powder that you mix with stock/water + thickener if you so choose.

Speaking of thickener, my first thought was a quick roux for pasta sauce, although @7 you mentioned gluten-free pasta. I can make a simple sauce in 10 minutes or less (although I'd have to time it) with butter, flour, and liquid of choice (dairy/stock). The trick to making it quick is to cook the flour and butter longer on med-low until it's nice and brown before adding liquid. It'll thicken up rapidly (with whisking), add a bit of seasoning (salt/pepper), add the pasta and a little more butter for a min or two and your done. Obviously not as good as simmering it longer, but it'd work in a pinch. I'm not sure if you could do it that quickly with non-gluten thickener, though.

Tomato-based sauce would be quicker, but less extensible. Can of tomatoes/salt/pepper + butter (if you like) + tomato paste/minced anchovies/mushroom (= ez umami for any sauce. I suppose seaweed too if that is your thing...).

You could also do an egg based sauce, with egg yokes/salt + shred hard cheese (parmesan, etc.), much like a carbonara. Takes longer and it's fiddlesome to slightly not overcook the eggs. Rather useful though.

And obviously EVOO plain or in pesto. Quick if you have a processor. I don't mind it unlike the purists...

Otherwise, good luck can hunting.

Thanks for the meditation/fasting tips.

Sphagnum

Sorry to up an old thread but I stumbled across it by browsing the ‘similar threads’ section and figured I could answer a little more for anyone else that does the same.

For pasta sauce, I know Aldi supermarket carries a store brand organic marinara that doesn’t contain any oil at all. Just make sure it’s the organic one, as the regular version does have vegetable oil.

For curries, I know of Masala Mama brand which other than coconut has olive oil as the other oil/far source.

Dave Clark

Sorry to up an old thread but I stumbled across it by browsing the ‘similar threads’ section and figured I could answer a little more for anyone else that does the same.

For pasta sauce, I know Aldi supermarket carries a store brand organic marinara that doesn’t contain any oil at all. Just make sure it’s the organic one, as the regular version does have vegetable oil.

For curries, I know of Masala Mama brand which other than coconut has olive oil as the other oil/far source.
Be vigilant on watching the ingredients, many companies are going to cheaper junk oils:
This one has canola oil, yet I have seen the same one with olive oil. In economic hard times, we have to keep reading the labels, unfortunately.