Tryptophan-free Milk

johns74

Tryptophan in milk has two potential problems:

1. Adults don't need a lot of tryptophan, so ideally one should also consume protein sources that are lower in tryptophan.
2. The process to make milk powder might make the tryptophan more harmful.

I found there is tryptophan-free milk powder. The brand is Mead Johnson Nutrition. Unfortunately, it's iron enriched (and contains vegetable oil).

Another brand, with similar problems, is Nutricia.

Do you know of a tryptophan-free milk without bad additives?

You should look at other (usually vegetable) sources of protein for less tryptophan than milk, which is already substantially lower than most animal sources. Anyway, you can make farmer's cheese with the milk to remove lots of the tryptophan.

OP
J

johns74

I know there are many ways, I just thought I'd bring attention to this potential way.

Skim milk seems to have less for some reason. I also found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1159526

Otherwise I have no idea, I would experiment with different animals' milk perhaps. Furthermore, chemists are usually pretty unfriendly on any forum where their help might be searched.

OP
J

johns74

Such_Saturation said:
Otherwise I have no idea, I would experiment with different animals' milk perhaps. Furthermore, chemists are usually pretty unfriendly on any forum where their help might be searched.

If they're unfriendly, I hope they're selfish to see the potential demand for a product like this and desire to exploit it.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I saw a study long time ago that milk exposed to UV light gets its tryptophan destroyed to a large degree. What the tryptophan breaks down into or if it is safe to consume I am no sure but if someone is interested they can Google for more info.

OP
J

johns74

Interesting. I guess one could expose it to UV bulbs. But if you have milk powder, can you expose it to UV? Or do you have to mix it with water first and then expose it to UV?

Wouldn't powder be even more vulnerable to such treatment? Plastic also releases more estrogens under ultraviolet light.

OP
J

johns74

So, I should leave my milk powder exposed to the sun at noon, and then I'll have my tryptophan-free milk?

Barliman

Whatever our requirements may be, there is an unanticipated confounding factor operating here:
DSpace@MIT: Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases
Currently we have high glyphosate residues in food (you guys in the US are worst off).
Glyphosate attacks the shikimate pathway in gut bacteria and reduces their production of phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan.
The above paper is proposing that tryptophan deficiency caused by glyphosate residues in food is driving the obesity epidemic:
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid, meaning that mammalian cells cannot synthesize it. Serum tryptophan depletion leads to serotonin and melatonin depletion in the brain [131]. Since serotonin (derived from tryptophan) is a potent appetite suppressant [132], it follows that serotonin deficiency would lead to overeating and obesity. As we have seen, tryptophan supplies could be depleted both in plant-based food sources and through impaired tryptophan synthesis by gut bacteria as direct effects of glyphosate.

so, suddenly the TrypTophan factor looks much more complicated.

Ideonaut

You should look at other (usually vegetable) sources of protein for less tryptophan than milk, which is already substantially lower than most animal sources. Anyway, you can make farmer's cheese with the milk to remove lots of the tryptophan.
Russian weightlifter Dmitri Klokov eats farmer's cheese and fruit compote before bed:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals