Dietary Regimens & the new Ray Peat age

milk_lover

Nicholas said:
post 112001 with milk, i've gotten to the point where i only enjoy drinking it if it has a little coffee and sugar in it. now i know why.. : )
Coffee might be anti-estrogen, but is sugar too?

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

milk_lover said:
post 112115 Coffee might be anti-estrogen, but is sugar too?
Stress of hunger and over-hydration can probably both be estrogenic. In some contexts, I guess sugar can help counteract those.

milk_lover

Nicholas said:
post 112001 i don't drink a ton of it, but i usually crave it with a meal with animal protein....mid-day....maybe evening....but never morning. it's not someting i consistently crave....but the times i've tried to completely get rid of it, i do have strong ravings for it. my whole life until 3 yrs. ago i would drink it sporadically....like maybe with coffee or a once in a blue moon bowl of cereal.....i had some milk trauma when i was younger watching a little kid scooping up soggy animal crackers in a puddle of milk and eating them....for some reason it stuck with me and always made me mildly gag at the thought of milk. weirdly, when i discovered Peat and started drinking raw milk it felt like a new discovery....i don't exactly know why, but i found it mildly comforting...and still do....cravings for it seem to go up when i've been under some kind of stress.
:lol: I laughed at your story... Bold statement, that seems natural to me, I drink it when I am stressed and I feel immediately better. I think the calcium reduces PTH, which is an inflammatory hormone. Ray Peat's article about calcium explains about it in depth.

milk_lover

tara said:
post 112118
milk_lover said:
post 112115 Coffee might be anti-estrogen, but is sugar too?
Stress of hunger and over-hydration can probably both be estrogenic. In some contexts, I guess sugar can help counteract those.
Interesting, tara. So sugar can be like salt in counterattacking over-hydration..

tara

milk_lover said:
post 112123 Interesting, tara. So sugar can be like salt in counterattacking over-hydration..
Pboy made this point often. :)
I think you still need to have enough electrolytes, but the system does seem to handle sugar water differently than straight water.
Sometimes adding sugar to milk may also help handle the protein in the milk, too.

milk_lover

tara said:
post 112129
milk_lover said:
post 112123 Interesting, tara. So sugar can be like salt in counterattacking over-hydration..
Pboy made this point often. :)
I think you still need to have enough electrolytes, but the system does seem to handle sugar water differently than straight water.
Sometimes adding sugar to milk may also help handle the protein in the milk, too.
Pboy is missed by all of us in this forum. Inspirational figure. I hope he makes an appearance soon. Yeah I remember Peat wrote about having fruits/sugar with milk to increase the anti-stress effect of milk and for better tolerance.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

ok, my body could not handle my 5 day bread experiment. i may have done too much or too little....but after a few days my face started to get swollen and stingy...and i just felt horrible by day 5. but during the entire time up to day 4 i didn't experience any digestive weirdness or fatigue. it was a gradual thing that built up. going back to fruit and just roots has made me feel so much better. for some reason my gut is saying fruit and roots now only. it must have really been increasing serotonin, because i took 1000mg Lysine for the first time in 2 weeks last night and when i woke this morning the whole dark cloud had lifted off my body. but still dropping the resistant starch from the potatoes has been very helpful.

milk_lover

Nicholas said:
post 112397 ok, my body could not handle my 5 day bread experiment. i may have done too much or too little....but after a few days my face started to get swollen and stingy...and i just felt horrible by day 5. but during the entire time up to day 4 i didn't experience any digestive weirdness or fatigue. it was a gradual thing that built up. going back to fruit and just roots has made me feel so much better. for some reason my gut is saying fruit and roots now only. it must have really been increasing serotonin, because i took 1000mg Lysine for the first time in 2 weeks last night and when i woke this morning the whole dark cloud had lifted off my body. but still dropping the resistant starch from the potatoes has been very helpful.
Any starch, though in varying degrees, cause a spike in my serotonin level. I sense it man. If I eat starch in general, any kind of stress during that day gives me stomach ache. If my stomach is "clean" and only fed uncomplicated food, I can handle more stress without the stomach ache.

tara

Derek said:
post 111934 Your body suppressed your metabolism for a purpose. Pushing it into fast oxidation, without knowing the cause of the suppression in the first place, is unnatural to me. More sound approach would be removing the cause of the suppression, metabolism goes up naturally.

I don't have a full enough picture of this for myself yet, but this is how it looks to me so far. \

I think it's good to try to figure out the cause of suppression of thyroid function, where possible. Sometimes, as you say, it is the body's deliberate and protective response to some kinds of stress. If we can reduce or eliminate some of those major stressors, the body might allow the metabolism to increase again eventually of it's own accord. I tend to usually favour trying this approach first, unless there is evidence of significantly damaged thyroid gland, etc.
I think significant nutritional deficiencies - particular micronutrients and/or overall calories - might be in this category, and severe chronic over-exercise, and likely others.
Driving up metabolism in such cases may have some unintended negative consequences. I would be very skeptical about supplementing thyroid,or using lots of coffee etc to sustain energy, for most adults, if they are eating under 2000 cals or running many marathons, etc. No point in driving up metabolism only to have it drive people deeper into catabolism or severe mineral or vitamin deficiencies.

But sometimes the suppression is something that directly impedes mitochondrial energy production, even in the presence of plenty of good nutrition, and that is the root cause of the trouble. In those cases, using direct measures to restore oxidation of glucose in the mitochondria might be the most effective remedy, assuming there is adequate nutrition, sunlight etc as well, and this might allow the body to sort out the downstream symptoms.
PUFA seems to be one of those substances that directly mess with glucose oxidation. As do some other poisons. Eg I think arsenic messes with the pyruvate dehygrogenase enzyme. Maybe habitual high cortisol or FFAs etc that were elevated for good reasons at some time in the past, but are no longer protective under current conditions, might sometimes be in this category.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals