Apple

Ray Peat: "Around 1988 I read Gerhard Volkheimer’s persorption article, and after doing some experiments with tortillas and masa, I stopped eating all starch except for those, then eventually I stopped those. Besides grains of starch entering the blood stream, lymph, and cerebral spinal fluid, starch feeds bacteria, increasing endotoxin and serotonin."

Prof. Gerhard Volkheimer was gastroenterologist who conducted extensive research on persorption. He passed away on January 6, 2021 (a few months before his 100th birthday).
Do we know anything about prof. Gerhard Volkheimer 's diet ?
Did he recommend avoiding starches or any specific diet ?

Also he has notes about coffee in that study:
When coffee was ingested at the same time, the number of persorbed granules was significantly higher; this was not observed after administration of so called caffein-free coffee. Higher rates of persorption were also observed on injecting caffeine.
When caffeine is administered at the same time, the number of starch-granules found in the urine is almost three times higher whereas there is no significant change in the elimination rate under the influence of diuretics.

complete article

Last edited:
Ray Peat: "Around 1988 I read Gerhard Volkheimer’s persorption article, and after doing some experiments with tortillas and masa, I stopped eating all starch except for those, then eventually I stopped those. Besides grains of starch entering the blood stream, lymph, and cerebral spinal fluid, starch feeds bacteria, increasing endotoxin and serotonin."

Prof. Gerhard Volkheimer was gastroenterologist who conducted extensive research on persorption. He passed away on January 6, 2021 (a few months before his 100th birthday).

When coffee was ingested at the same time, the number of persorbed granules was significantly higher; this was not observed after administration of so called caffein-free coffee. Higher rates of persorption were also observed on injecting caffeine.
When caffeine is administered at the same time, the number of starch-granules found in the urine is almost three times higher whereas there is no significant change in the elimination rate under the influence of diuretics.

complete article

Wow this is something worth knowing! Coffee with pastries and donuts is so classic. I am glad I gave up those biscotti's dunked in my coffee a long time ago.

OP
Apple

Apple

Maybe someone can check German language sources about what diet he recommended ?

Last edited:

Beastmode

Peat says he eats tortillas and masa in his interviews though. Either he's reminiscing from 30+ years ago or he still does.

I rarely eat starch, minus masa. Not sure I can give up that as there aren't many other options that I know of and they satiate me as a good carb for dinner.

OP
Apple

Apple

Wow this is something worth knowing! Coffee with pastries and donuts is so classic. I am glad I gave up those biscotti's dunked in my coffee a long time ago.
In case of starchy meals (or croissants) I keep decaffeinated coffee.

In case of starchy meals (or croissants) I keep decaffeinated coffee.

Oh that is clever approach!

"One cup of brewed decaf coffee provides 2.4% of the recommended daily intake of magnesium, 4.8% of potassium, and 2.5% of niacin, or vitamin B3 (1Trusted Source).

This may not seem like a lot of nutrients, but the amounts add up quickly if you drink 2–3 (or more) cups of coffee per day."

OP
Apple

Apple

Starch persorption depends on the size of starch particles.

"The larger the granule, the less molecular bonding we have so they swell faster. But they also break down faster."

potato - is the largest; its granules range in size from 15 to 75 microns
corn - 5 microns and 20 microns
rice - granule sizes ranging from 3 to 8 microns
Tapioca - ranging from 5 to 25 microns.
Wheat - Its granules are relatively thick at 5 to 15 microns with a smooth, round shape ranging from 22 to 36 microns in diameter. Wheat starch is bimodal in that it also has a group of starch granules of a different size. In this case, these other granules are very small, with diameters of only 2 to 3 microns.

Phosphorus

Starches contain phosphorus in some form or another. The nature of the phosphorus affects starch performance. In most cereal starches, the phosphorus is mainly found as lysophospholipids, which will tend to complex with the amylose of the starch and reduce its water-binding capacity. These complexes also contribute opacity to the starch paste.

The phosphorus in tuber starches, such as potato, is in the form of phosphate monoesters that occur on the starch molecule as negatively charged groups. The ionic repulsion generated by these groups weakens the association between the molecules and increases water-binding capacity, swelling power and paste clarity.

Last edited:

Logan-

complete article
Interesting info about caffeine. I can confirm from my own experiences that caffeine is quite hard on the intestines. Its negative effects on the intestines might account for its increasing persorption.

Kykeon

Prof. Dr. med. Gerhard Volkheimer wrote a book called Gastroenterologie für die Praxis and published an article about worm infestation (Gerhard Volkheimer. Atypische Abdominalsymptome bei Gastarbeitern, bei Studenten aus südlichen Ländern und bei Neuankömmlingen - PDF Free Download) and how to detect atypical symptoms. quite interesting. He also had many doctorants under him continuing the work on persorption (for example here: Gefäßwandalteration durch taktile Reize (Intimal Touch Reaction) )but he himself had to change workplace for political reasons so he didnt carry out the work due to equipment limitations in the new workspace.
His main focus was work on the small intestine, worm infestation and diagnostics according to the obituary.
The book could be interesting