Does The Ray Peat Lifestyle Promote Lack Of Empathy?

Runenight201

Optimizing metabolism and hormones has only made me empathetic, creative, even spiritual. I used to think that these traits were for weak, passive individuals, but oddly enough, at my highest of highs, I felt an overwhelming since of gratitude, to the point of tears, for experiencing such a glorious state. My immediate thoughts in these situations were, life is incredibly beautiful and, I want everyone to experience this type of feeling.

Contrast that with my most selfish states, where I’m low energy and wired on coffee, and I lack any ability to show empathy or compassion for anyone else. The world becomes a logical box of X’s and O’s. Useful in some ways? Sure, pleasant? Definitely not.

If there isn’t love, empathy, compassion, sociability, etc... in the being, the human is not in the most optimal health state.

GreekDemiGod

First 3 months of peating, I craved emotional love/ connection.
Next 3 months of peating, I want physical, carnal pleasure lot more.

BrianF

I don't care enough about other people to understand what this might mean?

OP
opethfeldt

opethfeldt

I did see that. I definitely don't think testosterone alone is the issue. However, all the studies I've seen show an actual increase in empathy relative to low testosterone men, but only if cortisol is high. When you think about it, it does make sense. Stress tends to make you more alert and concerned about things going on in your environment. I'm sure this could extend to other people's feelings as well. If you are chronically in a state of low arousal, you are probably going to be in a state where you just don't care about much. Add to that testosterone's effect of making you more concerned about self and it's totally logical to me that empathy could be empaired.

somuch4food

Optimizing metabolism and hormones has only made me empathetic, creative, even spiritual. I used to think that these traits were for weak, passive individuals, but oddly enough, at my highest of highs, I felt an overwhelming since of gratitude, to the point of tears, for experiencing such a glorious state. My immediate thoughts in these situations were, life is incredibly beautiful and, I want everyone to experience this type of feeling.

Contrast that with my most selfish states, where I’m low energy and wired on coffee, and I lack any ability to show empathy or compassion for anyone else. The world becomes a logical box of X’s and O’s. Useful in some ways? Sure, pleasant? Definitely not.

If there isn’t love, empathy, compassion, sociability, etc... in the being, the human is not in the most optimal health state.

That's how I feel too. I used to think that making the world beautiful was a waste of time, but now I want to make my surroundings more pleasant, not just practical.

milkboi

That's how I feel too. I used to think that making the world beautiful was a waste of time, but now I want to make my surroundings more pleasant, not just practical.

Wow, that mind state shift is exactly what I went through too! :happy:

HealingBoy

Coffee makes me cold and stoic
Pregnenolone and progesterone make me emotionless
Zinc makes me "get out of here you whimper"
Niacinamide makes me like "look I feel good, I don't understand why you're feeling bad, life is cool"
Taurine makes me like " Mmmm, really ? that must be tough I guess "
Aspirine makes me numb and careless, spaced out.

Anything with estrogens make me feel emotions again. I'm happy to see my parents again. I'm a better listener. I understand my girlfriend more. Estrogens are not the all-bad stuff described around, I'm sure about that now.

Jib

I don't know. Just had some grape juice and aspirin and I don't give a ****