The Ray Peat Mostly Liquid Diet?

nwo2012

Birdie said:
A great subject.

Yes, nwo, I quit gaining when I stopped the nightime ice cream and starches. And went to 1% milk. I regret that it has vitamin suspensioners in it. It's not perfect. It sure is true that in the milk section of this diet, one works for one and another for another.

Charlie, I don't count calories. Only, about once every month or so, I check my food/nutrients with FatSecret. I sign in to my weight chart every 2 weeks and that's it. I'm one who goes nuts if counting calories. There, again, what works for one doesn't for another.

Yeah Im waiting for my cream separator to arrive so I can cut my raw milk down to low fat as I know that will help too.
Still probably eating too much cheese but feel I dont need to cut everything back for results.

OP
N

narouz

Just some stray thoughts on the relative Liquidity of an optimal Peat diet and protein:

1. Some have said one way to escape some of the liquidity
is to substitute cheese for milk.
This sounded promising until I started checking out the protein content
of the cheeses I get.
They were suprisingly not that high in protein.
I mean, if you're operating under the general rubric Peat notes,
that one should try to get at least 80 grams of protein per day...
...Well, have any of y'all ever tried to get most of that from cheese?
Seems to me that would be a hell of a lot of cheese! :shock:
Also, it is getting to be hard to find good, tasty, lowfat cheeses
without the new "microbial enzymes,"
so for me the cheese route to protein is much higher fat than the skim milk route.

2. You might say, well, how about potatoes as a great source for Peat protein.
Same problem: have you ever tried to calculate how much potato you would have to eat
to get to 80 grams?
I'd like to know, but on the face of it it would seem to be a Hell of a Lot of potato.
And then you've got all that starch and fiber (and probably butter you've added)
to make it yummy (or at least palatable).
Now: Ray Peat Protein Potato Soup is a viable option.
I'd like to know how much protein one gets from, like, a bowl.
But have you ever tried making that?
It is very labor intensive to get a significant amount,
and most of the potato goes into the trash (starch and fiber).

3. Shouldn't be getting that much protein from muscle meats under a Peat regime.
So don't go there.

4. Gelatin. Okay. One could could propose gummy bears as non-liquid, Peaty protein source.
but that would just be a trick, to me: gummy bears aren't a "real" solid food to me.
But I do think they are a legit Peat protein source.

5. Peat has said that fruit has a "significant" amount of protein.
Okay, but still. I think you'd have to eat a Tremendous amount of protein to get to 80 grams.

It just seems, for me, that drinking a lot of milk (lowfat) ends up being the only practical way
to get to the Peat minimum protein levels
without taking in a lot ofcollateral starch, fat, and fiber,
and while getting what Peat would see as
a "high quality protein" (which muscle meat would not be).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am absolutely coming to this realization over the last couple of days narouz. For me, it works out better. Less cooking, less money on muscle meats, anytime I cook up something it will last for more meals now. I use to eat a pound of ground beef at one time, now, I get 4 meals out of that pound. You really do not need much extra protein at all if you are doing the milk and gelatin. So yeh, I am digging it!

And you definitely are going to get enough calcium which is super important, along with the good sugars in milk. This is the ticket for me, thank you Ray Peat! Oh and thank you narouz for pointing all this out but it took me months to realize! :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh and being able to finally drink milk really helps! I am pretty excited about this!

nwo2012

?????? :?:

The organic cheddar Im eating right now is about 25g protein per 100g. I can eat 300g of this in two sittings easy. So why do you think its hard to get 80g protein/day? With the milk, cheese, gelatin, little meat/fish/shellfish etc Im easily over 1g protein per kg bodyweight. And Im not a big eater. Perhaps Ive missed something Narouz?
And add in the 2 pastured egss, perhaps even 3.

edit: Ok I see you are saying solid food and low fat. Still I think all is good and you are being a drama queen as usual. :P

OP
N

narouz

nwo2012 said:

The organic cheddar Im eating right now is about 25g protein per 100g. I can eat 300g of this in two sittings easy. So why do you think its hard to get 80g protein/day? With the milk, cheese, gelatin, little meat/fish/shellfish etc Im easily over 1g protein per kg bodyweight. And Im not a big eater. Perhaps Ive missed something Narouz?

edit: Ok I see you are saying solid food and low fat. Still I think all is good and you are being a drama queen as usual. :P

You say that like it's a bad thing. :cool:

J

j.

narouz said:

I think this is the most viable option (if you're unhappy with milk, I'm not). After doing it every day for a long time you'll probably find ways to do it efficiently.

If you're making a lot of money, it shouldn't matter. If you feel guilty, give it to poor people or something.

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
narouz said:

I think this is the most viable option (if you're unhappy with milk, I'm not). After doing it every day for a long time you'll probably find ways to do it efficiently.

If you're making a lot of money, it shouldn't matter. If you feel guilty, give it to poor people or something.

Ha.
It's not the guilt.
I was just surprised how you can spend quite a long time
peeling a whole 10 lb bag of potatoes,
feeding them into the juicer,
and when you're finished it surprised me how little "extract"
I had for all that time and effort
and how much (it's A LOT!) goes in the trash.

But this is a moot point anyhow because the extract is liquid. ;)

J

j.

narouz said:

I don't think it's a moot point because you can fulfill your protein requirements without drinking milk and therefore with a lot less liquid. Potatoes and milk have the same percentage of protein. I heard a RP interview yesterday where he said that the juice has a higher percentage of protein than milk, he said it's almost pure protein. The interview was WBM: Alkalinity vs Acidity, after an off-topic question by a vegetarian, towards the end.

OP
N

narouz

nwo2012 said:

Well, nwo, I have to grant you this point on cheese.
After reading more carefully some of the data on the cheeses in my fridge,
I see that there's more protein in there than I'd thought.

In this part-skim mozzerella I have, for instance,
if I ate the entire 8oz. block,
I would get 64oz of protein.
That's pretty damn good.

Okay, so cheese can be a good, non-liquid, Peaty protein source.
I stand corrected.

Depending upon how much one loves cheese,
I'd still have to guess, though, that an optimal Peat diet will tend, in practice,
to be at least largely liquid for many or most even.

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
narouz said:

I don't think it's a moot point because you can fulfill your protein requirements without drinking milk and therefore with a lot less liquid. Potatoes and milk have the same percentage of protein. I heard a RP interview yesterday where he said that the juice has a higher percentage of protein than milk, he said it's almost pure protein. The interview was WBM: Alkalinity vs Acidity (NEW 2012), after an off-topic question by a vegetarian, towards the end.

Thank you, j., for that interview tip.
I'll give it a listen.

I'm just saying--on the mootness thing--
that, since the thread is about the relative liquidness of an optimal Peat diet,
"Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup" (nwo2012's title) is liquid.
So it doesn't help those looking for non-liquid Peat proteins or foods.

But it is a delicious (if laborious) Peat protein,
and, though liquid,
still a great food to provide some variety in a Peat diet.

nwo2012

narouz said:
j. said:
narouz said:

Ha.
It's not the guilt.

It is cooked and fed to the chickens. :D

OP
N

narouz

nwo2012 said:
narouz said:
j. said:
narouz said:

Ha.
It's not the guilt.

It is cooked and fed to the chickens. :D

And I,
who through no fault of my own,
possesseth no chickens,
must stagger on through this life,
under the crushing weight of my wasteful guilt.... :cry:

kettlebell

nwo2012 - I will have a look for you. Where in the world are you? Was it Australia?

Ps that cheese goes very very well with baked pears. Some use it for grating only (Use it as a normal Parmesan) BUT the italians consider it a proper table cheese due to its great taste to be eaten with fruit (Grapes, pear, apple etc) and I agree with them.

Philomath

Yeah Im waiting for my cream separator to arrive so I can cut my raw milk down to low fat as I know that will help too.
Still probably eating too much cheese but feel I dont need to cut everything back for results.

Where do you get a reasonably priced cream separator?

OP
N

narouz

Philomath said:

Where do you get a reasonably priced cream separator?

Damn this is an old thread, Phil.
Did you go down into the sub-basement
behind the old filing cabinets to dig it up?!

narouz said:
Damn this is an old thread, Phil.

From a time long ago, when people hadn't yet discovered what a "Ray Peat Diet" is, or how to call it, or which red bulb to buy... Man we've made so much progress :cool:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals