Charcoal Dose?

Borz

Forum Supporter
I read that Ray Peat’s general recommendation for Activated Charcoal is 2-3 times weekly, once a day. But how much should be taken in one dose? 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon? I could not find clear information about that in the forum.

Also, is it best to take it before bed?

I will be using Health Natura's charcoal.

golder

I feel so good after charcoal. I'm trying to work out something I can take more frequently, as I know it's not really something to take every day. Any ideas would be extremely grateful!

theLaw

I read that Ray Peat’s general recommendation for Activated Charcoal is 2-3 times weekly, once a day. But how much should be taken in one dose? 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon? I could not find clear information about that in the forum.

Also, is it best to take it before bed?

I will be using Health Natura's charcoal.

There are several threads here about charcoal with more detailed info, but here's the microwave version:

1. Peat has now said that he wouldn't recommend AC outside of an emergency situation

2. AC around 1 Tbsp in a glass of juice is a reasonable place to start

3. AC can slow down digestion to a crawl

4. Mixing AC with coconut oil or ice cream might make it easier to digest

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter
There are several threads here about charcoal with more detailed info, but here's the microwave version:

1. Peat has now said that he wouldn't recommend AC outside of an emergency situation

2. AC around 1 Tbsp in a glass of juice is a reasonable place to start

3. AC can slow down digestion to a crawl

4. Mixing AC with coconut oil or ice cream might make it easier to digest

Are you talking about this quote from Ray Peat?
“I’m not confident of the purity and proper particle size of the charcoal products that are available, so I think bamboo shoot and carrots, along with cascara sagrada as needed, are the safest way to keep endotoxin and estrogen under control.”

I thought he is okay with charcoal as long as the purity is good and particle size is granular instead of powder. Is there something else he recently said about why he does not recommend charcoal anymore?

So far I used Health Natura's granular charcoal two times before bed (1 scoop first time, 2 scoops second time), and both times I woke up feeling very bad (nausea etc.), and it took a few hours after waking up to get back to feeling normal again, I wonder why this happened? I'm scared to take it again.

theLaw

Are you talking about this quote from Ray Peat?
“I’m not confident of the purity and proper particle size of the charcoal products that are available, so I think bamboo shoot and carrots, along with cascara sagrada as needed, are the safest way to keep endotoxin and estrogen under control.”

I thought he is okay with charcoal as long as the purity is good and particle size is granular instead of powder. Is there something else he recently said about why he does not recommend charcoal anymore?

I think his most recent quote was from an interview (forget which one) where he claimed it should only be used in an emergency. This was the first time that I heard him qualify its use to that degree.

It slows digestion and results in constipation, and it adsorbs many key nutrients that you need, so chronic use can lead to deficiencies. I no longer take it unless it’s for a good reason.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've used it short term, once for 20 days and another time for 7 days, because I suspected I had gut issues (not going to go into details lol). It never made me constipated. I took 2tsp AC with 2 tbsp coconut oil in the morning about 2 hours before my first meal and then had my coffee after that. Once my gut "settled down" and I started getting ghost wipes I stopped the AC and switched over to grated carrot.

Mauritio

I've used it short term, once for 20 days and another time for 7 days, because I suspected I had gut issues (not going to go into details lol). It never made me constipated. I took 2tsp AC with 2 tbsp coconut oil in the morning about 2 hours before my first meal and then had my coffee after that. Once my gut "settled down" and I started getting ghost wipes I stopped the AC and switched over to grated carrot.
So it permanently fixed something for you ?
How long did it take until your gut settled down ?

Hans

Forum Supporter
So it permanently fixed something for you ?
How long did it take until your gut settled down ?
If my diet is on point, I have perfect bowel movements. If not, then I take the stack and it should be back to normal within 2-3 days, then it remains perfect, unless I start eating something irritating for too long.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals