SIBO Treatment Protocol

DaveFoster

I've been researching and thinking about a plan on how to tackle my gut problems, which includes severe SIBO overgrowth, fibromyalgia, hair loss, arthritis, associated hypothyroidism, autism, and mood problems; it could be that I'm completely misguided, but here's my regimen:

- Daily carrot salad w/ dressings
- Activated charcoal taken 6 days before start of treatment EOD @ 50 g
- Flagyl and Keflex antibiotics (metronidazole and cephalexin respectively) [standard SIBO doses for 10-14 days]
- Klaire Interfase Plus biofilm disruptor [standard dose taken separately during antibiotic treatment]
- Dr. Ohira's probiotic [1 capsule taken on empty stomach upon rising during antibiotic treatment]
- Prescript-Assist soil-based organism probiotic [standard dose taken with Dr. Ohira's probiotic upon rising and past antibiotic phase]
- Jarrow S. Boulardii (for candida) [standard dose taken away from all other pills and past antibiotic phase]
- Dr. Tobias Ultimate Prebiotic [standard dose taken in the morning with probiotics and past antibiotic phase]
- Elixa (very high CFU count probiotic) [1 dose administered after antibiotic phase for 3-12 days as needed]

Please critique this. Particularly Interfase Plus. If this doesn't work, then I don't know.

I may just wait and see how the Flagyl and Keflex go. I might be fine after that.

Last edited:

Conficiens

It's probably only worth it to try biosporin forte;
I don't think prescript-assist is a very good idea, it has a lot of unresearched strains and proven opportunistic strains, and it's spore-forming, meaning it will permanently settle the gut. Dr. Ohira's and the prebiotic don't seem that good either.

Soil Bacteria That Are Not Considered Normal Human Flora or Have Non-Existent Human Interaction Research in Prescript Assist7
  • Azospirillum brasiliense
  • Azospirillum lipoferum
  • Bacillus brevis
  • Bacillus marcerans
  • Bacillus pumilus
  • Bacillus polymyxa
  • Bacteroides lipolyticum
  • Bacteroides succinogenes
  • Kurthia zopfii
  • Myrothecium verrucaria
  • Pseudomonas calcis
  • Pseudomonas denitrificans
  • Pseudomonas glathei
  • Streptomyces fradiae
  • Streptomyces cellulosae
  • Streptomyces griseoflavus
Documented Opportunistic HSO’s in Prescript Assist

• Acinetobacter calcoaceticus8 9 10 11
  • Bacillus subtilis12
  • Phanerochaete chrysosporium13
  • Pseudomonas fluorescens14 15

>ref
7. Prescript Assist Probiotic: Potent, Shelf-Stable – Prescript Assist
8. Infections with Acinetobacter calcoaceticus (Herellea vaginicola): clinical and laboratory studies. - PubMed - NCBI
9 Nosocomial respiratory tract infection and colonization with Acinetobacter calcoaceticus. Epidemiologic characteristics. - PubMed - NCBI
10 An outbreak of Acinetobacter calcoaceticus infection in a neonatal care unitAusbruch von Acinetobacter calcoaceticus-Infektionen in einer Neugeborenenstation
11 Acinetobacter spp. as nosocomial pathogens: microbiological, clinical, and epidemiological features.
12 HSO's Part 2 - Is Bacillus subtilis Dangerous?
13Phanerochaete chrysosporium and granulomatous lung disease in a mulch gardener - Lanspa - 2013 - Respirology Case Reports - Wiley Online Library
14 Gut Pathogens
15 Pseudomonas fluorescens Encodes the Crohn's Disease-Associated I2 Sequence and T-Cell Superantigen

Are you doing enemas? Do you have a lot of gas? How is your thyroid nowadays? Since you mentioned hair, are you using shampoo/conditioner or facial moisturizer? (these are usually incredibly estrogenic). Are you eating white-button mushrooms? I think a yogic cleanse might be worth looking into, usually that is a lot more effective than taking some pills. What other antibiotics have you tried?
These problems are usually interconnected; your sibo is probably just as much a symptom of hypothyroidism as the cause of it (probably mostly the former, as sibo cannot emerge without hypothyroidism being a factor). What is your history with methylene blue etc? Red light? Aspirin? I suspect that a comprehensive regiment of light, methylene blue, aspirin, caffeine, mushrooms will be more effective than a classic pre/probiotic + antibiotic course - but, of course, experience will always be key.

A.R

So how did this go then?

Seems quite extreme taking all them supplements at once

I've been researching and thinking about a plan on how to tackle my gut problems, which includes severe SIBO overgrowth, fibromyalgia, hair loss, arthritis, associated hypothyroidism, autism, and mood problems; it could be that I'm completely misguided, but here's my regimen:

- Flagyl and Keflex antibiotics (metronidazole and cephalexin respectively) [standard SIBO doses for 10-14 days]
- Klaire Interfase Plus biofilm disruptor [standard dose taken separately during antibiotic treatment]
- Dr. Ohira's probiotic [1 capsule taken on empty stomach upon rising during antibiotic treatment]
- Prescript-Assist soil-based organism probiotic [standard dose taken with Dr. Ohira's probiotic upon rising and past antibiotic phase]
- Jarrow S. Boulardii (for candida) [standard dose taken away from all other pills and past antibiotic phase]
- Dr. Tobias Ultimate Prebiotic [standard dose taken in the morning with probiotics and past antibiotic phase]
- Elixa (very high CFU count probiotic) [1 dose administered after antibiotic phase for 3-12 days as needed]

Please critique this. Particularly Interfase Plus. If this doesn't work, then I don't know.

I may just wait and see how the Flagyl and Keflex go. I might be fine after that.

Regina

I don't know much about this. But before I found Ray Peat, I was trying to follow along with the gut micro biome people.
After trying a variety of probiotics, the only one that made a distinctly noticeable difference was PrePhage by Designs for Health. Flattened tummy in a couple of days.

This seems like you would be throwing too much stuff at yourself. Maybe just the Klaire Interfase, carrot salad and charcoal. (and vitamin K2, vit B's and glycine).
I feel like some of these strains can go rogue.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

@Regina

Yeah, my digestion is fine right now. I did a round of Flagyl and Keflex, and I use cascara, coffee, and occasionally charcoal with the daily carrot salad.

Regina

@Regina

Yeah, my digestion is fine right now. I did a round of Flagyl and Keflex, and I use cascara, coffee, and occasionally charcoal with the daily carrot salad.
Ah bon! I just noticed that your post was from August. Glad to learn you are doing better.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Where'd you get the Flagyl and Keflex?
Doctor prescribed it after a positive SIBO hydrogen breath test (81 fold higher than the normal range.)

Queequeg

Why does no doctor I ever have prescribe me a breath test or take SIBO seriously?
Because they are brainwashed borgs who only do what they were taught in Medical school and is drug industry approved. The prescribed antibiotics didn't work on my mother's SIBO so I emailed her a copy of the PubMed study that shows that herbs are more effective than prescription antibiotics. The Doctor refused to even look at it, claiming she didn't know anything about herbs and by inference, didn't want to know. IMO if you think you have it, insist on getting the test, and then treat yourself with herbs.

L

lollipop

Because they are brainwashed borgs who only do what they were taught in Medical school and is drug industry approved. The prescribed antibiotics didn't work on my mother's SIBO so I emailed her a copy of the PubMed study that shows that herbs are more effective than prescription antibiotics. The Doctor refused to even look at it, claiming she didn't know anything about herbs and by inference, didn't want to know. IMO if you think you have it, insist on getting the test, and then treat yourself with herbs.
@Queequeg what herbs? Can you post that study here? Thank you in advance!

Queequeg

@Queequeg what herbs? Can you post that study here? Thank you in advance!

Herbal therapy is equivalent to rifaximin for the treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24891990

I am not sure if the study specifies what herbs they use but after some researching I found that these are typically used for SIBO: Allicin, Neem, oregano, berberine, cinnamon. I think you are supposed to take 2 or 3 at a time at max dose and then rotate them.

Betaine HCL and digestive enzymes are also important so that you digest your food in your stomach and minimize feeding time at the zoo:)

L

lollipop

Herbal therapy is equivalent to rifaximin for the treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24891990

I am not sure if the study specifies what herbs they use but after some researching I found that these are typically used for SIBO: Allicin, Neem, oregano, berberine, cinnamon. I think you are supposed to take 2 or 3 at a time at max dose and then rotate them.

Betaine HCL and digestive enzymes are also important so that you digest your food in your stomach and minimize feeding time at the zoo:)
Awesome thanks @Queequeg!!

L

lollipop

your welcome. good luck on this one. it seems to be very difficult to treat and can take a year sometimes
Actually I do not have it but MANY friends/clients/family do. Always looking for suggestions and research.

Kyle M

It does specify, I reviewed that article on my website, but my experience with those exact brands was not effective.

Queequeg

It does specify, I reviewed that article on my website, but my experience with those exact brands was not effective.
Could be that you dont have SIBO. I am pretty sure that you need the H2/methane test to confirm it. FWIW My mom is doing better on the herbs.

Last edited:
OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

And it simply just went away after taking this?
It improved significantly; I think once you treat SIBO, you can prevent it from re-occurring my bolstering you immune system (through high thyroid function year-round) and maintaining a quick transit, particularly the latter.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals