Castor Oil Question

Discussion in 'Diet' started by tfcjesse, Oct 18, 2016.

1. tfcjesse

tfcjesse Member

Hi, new to the forum, just want to say the breadth of information here is great! Might be a bit thick to wade through it for a newcomer to the diet like me, but great nonetheless. I'm very much a beginner and still learning.

I've been taking 1 tbsp of USP grade castor oil daily. Wondering if this is detrimental to the diet (isn't it a PUFA?) If so, is it harmful enough to warrant removing it? How many grams of PUFA would it contribute?

2. tyw

tyw Member

Castor oil is 85+% Ricinoleic Acid -- Ricinoleic acid - Wikipedia

Single double bond, hence a monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA). Similar to the oleic acid found in olive oil in terms of peroxidation susceptibility.

Has other specific effects on stuff like the Prostaglandin EP3 receptor, which the mainstream will claim to be "anti-inflammatory", which I read as "slowing down the system" (which is contextually useful, for example, in the case of acute GI infection).

I treat it as a medicine, to be taken in the context of specific acute issues, and not for chronic use. Personally, I have only found it to be useful topically, for certain kinds of topical ailments.

3. OP
    tfcjesse

tfcjesse Member

Thanks, guessing that means it's not harmful. I'm taking it in hopes of it thickening hair/preventing further loss. Main reason for adopting/learning about the Peat diet, in addition to overall well-being, is for hair health.

4. KiNGTyreZe

KiNGTyreZe Member

Grew gyno for me.

5. hef911

hef911 Member

topical usage or oral? and how long did you use it?

6. KiNGTyreZe

KiNGTyreZe Member

Oral. 2 weeks. Puffy nipples.

7. hef911

hef911 Member

did you made other diet changes meanwhile? maybe the gyno is not correlated with the puffy nips. i have taken caster oil orally too for over 2 weeks, didnt notice any changes in my nipples my arm and body hair is thicker tho.

8. Queequeg

Queequeg Member

I heard of people using castor oil topically for hair growth. Maybe that is a safer approach. puffy nipples on a guy is not a good look imho

9. KiNGTyreZe

KiNGTyreZe Member

No I didn't.