Beginning My Journey To Halt Early Baldness, Fix Metabolism, And Live With HIV

Platinum

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I don't often participate in forums, but I've come to realize that when it comes to my health I shouldn't try to go at it alone and decided I would start this log. See, although I first encountered Ray's ideas through Danny's website many years ago when I was researching my thinning hair, something happened 2 months ago that re-ignited my focus on taking better care of myself. On September 25th, I was informed that the HIV virus was detected in my blood. I was reminded of my mortality, started researching things and discovered that Hair Like a Fox and Organizing the Panic had become available for free and I started devouring information. I figured if I was going to see a doctor anyway, and max out my deductible on medicine, that I should also try to fix my other health problems with guidance provided by insurance covered testing.

Even better, this month my physician is enrolling me in a clinical trial for a new HIV medicine which means that I'm going to spend the next 2 years receiving very comprehensive health care, blood testing, DEXA scans, etc. all free of charge. I don't know what all the tests are going to be (especially as it relates to Ray Peat's ideas) but I thought my unique case would be a great live case study and I'll be able to provide updated labs throughout my journey.

About Me
I am a 24 year old male, 5' 8", 154 lbs, with thinning/receding hair, mild gynecomastia, mild dermatitis/dandruff on scalp/dry skin on face and most of my body fat is around my abdomen. I am also newly diagnosed with HIV, starting medication this month, possibly this Wednesday the 11th. The other factor that makes my situation different is my profession. I travel 80% of the time as a consultant in IT, flying or driving to different cities almost every week, often without the luxury of having my own kitchen to cook my own food. It's a good thing continental breakfast includes milk, coffee and OJ huh? :D

I'm going to regularly post my labs, starting in another post. But notably, my TSH is 3.0, my total testosterone is 385.86 ng/dL, and prolactin is 12.12 ng/mL. These numbers didn't surprise me at all.

Later on I'm going to add a bit more backstory on my health, my lab results to date, supplements I'm starting and other changes I'm making.

It's nice to meet you all!

Helpful backstory
When I look back at my health since childhood through the Ray Peat lens, it's interesting how things make sense. The tldr version is this: PUFA definitely played a role in my issues.

Growing up I was on a SAD diet. I got up to chubby 150lbs by 6th grade and proceeded to do a typical "diet" where I was "low-fat" and watching calories, and that sort of thing works when you're a kid. Certainly I probably had a less PUFA but it was calorie restriction too. I was skinny when I started 7th grade, about 120 lbs, and once or twice dipped close to 115. I almost became anorexic, but I eventually relaxed and ate more. Unfortunately, I still didn't know what I was doing. For example, I remember times when I was home alone and needed dinner, so I would make a box of Kraft mac n cheese with canola oil (gross, I'm cringing just thinking about it!!). My peak weight reached 180 lbs at 5' 8" in high school. Ouch.

Thankfully I started to see some light. I was reading online about vitamin D3, and this led me to Paleo sites and other blogs. I ditched canola for butter, bought D3, K2, and Magnesium, lost just a little weight. A year after finishing college, in 2012 when I was 21, I moved into my own apartment. I know this is when I found Danny Roddy because I remember drinking Orange Juice, hiding chopped up liver inside chilli so wouldn't have to taste it :lol: and trying to be gluten free. I didn't know how to cook much but I was damn sure trying! I maintained a weight in the 130's.

Fast forward to now
I started my current job in 2013, my 50-80% traveling on business trips started in January of 2014. Needless to say, my weight went from ~130 lbs to ~150. Why did this happen? well, hotel food isn't exactly ideal and I LOVE to save money so I was all about the free food. The first year was particularly bad because I didn't have Marriott status yet and I was eating fast food for dinner to save money (no kitchen to cook in!). When I reached Marriott Platinum status (get it? ;) I'm also platinum with Enterprise and American Airlines) I realized I was able to get free breakfast at actual Marriott hotels and free dinner too (I formerly used Springhill and Fairfield). The quality was better but there's no doubt that there's PUFA in the ingredients anyway.

Last month on Oct 20 I started shifting more of my calories to the freely available OJ, milk, and potatoes available for the breakfast buffet. I take extra to my refrigerator. I'm trying to be pretty low fat most of the time to clear PUFA. I added a daily 6 tbsp divided of Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate to my meals 2 weeks ago. In the evenings at Marriott there's cheese and veggies (aka my raw carrot source) plus the hot appetizer(s) of the day (may or may not have PUFA).

By the way, I have a free membership to Planet Fitness which means I have access to Beauty Angel Red Light Therapy booths unlimited, and UV for Vit D (so awesome). I have bought supplements to counteract the occasional PUFA exposure, see below. Lastly, I weighed myself at 150lbs on Oct 24 and on Nov 11 I weighed 156 lbs. I don't really look fatter in the mirror, so I'm hoping some of the weight gain was muscle! :mrgreen:

Supplements
Since around age 20 I've been taking supplements... several have been on and off, like zinc, B vitamins, A and others, but faithfully I have been taking 5000 IU D3 daily, magnesium glycinate, and a K2 complex such as Vitacost's or the LEF Super K (my current one). The last two years have mainly been those three, I added zinc and selenium back in earlier in the year and do those a few times a week. Plus I use Relentless Improvement 15mg K2 once a day. I've been reading all over the forum about supplements and here is what I'm experimenting so far, as of today:

With every meal (3 a day)
B1 Thiamine 100mg
B2 Riboflavin 100mg
B3 Niacinimide 500mg
B7 Biotin 5mg
2 tbsp Collagen Hydrolysate

Morning
Aspirin 325mg
D3 5000IU
RE K2 MK4 15mg
Vit A 10,000IU
B6 P5P 25mg

Lunch
Vit A 10,000IU
LEF K2
Couple times a week: 50mg Zinc picolinate and 200mcg Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine from LEF. I don't know if I'll restock when they run out, particularly if I'm able to start a weekend habit of seafood/oysters and liver between business trips.

Dinner
Swanson Gamma Vitamin E, every other day but willing to do daily if it should have a noticeable effect that way.

Bed
Swanson Magnesium Glycinate 2x 133mg (266mg)

Now that my first post feels complete, further updates will be in the thread. I look forward to collaborating with you all, the support I've seen so far has touched me :)

tara

:welcome Platinum

johnwester130

Hello. Danny Roddy's work also got me interested in the work of Ray Peat.

See my signature, where I have summarised peat's work from my own personal undestanding.

tara

Hi,
Sorry you picked up HIV. I think your odds of living a long and healthy life with it are much better now than 30-odd years ago.

If you feel like telling more ...

Will you be free, in the testing program, to add your own additional supplements etc?

I guess you've read Peat's recommendations about low PUFA.

TSH of 3 looks high. Have you taken a few temperature and heart-rate readings? If they also indicat low metabolism, you might want to consider some cautious supplemental thyroid.

Are DEXA scans x-rays? If so, you've got some destructive testing in the regime.

Tarmander

Welcome! I am really interested to hear your results, trials, and blood work results. Please keep us updated!

Giraffe

Tarmander said:
post 108654 Welcome! I am really interested to hear your results, trials, and blood work results. Please keep us updated!
:+1 and good luck on your journey, Platinum!

Last edited:

CoolTweetPete

Welcome, Platinum. I think you'll find that the folks on this forum are very kind, science-minded people. I hope we can contribute to your efforts to improve your health. I consider it a profound endeavor. Best of luck.

OP
P

Platinum

Aw thanks everybody, I appreciate all the support I'm getting already :)

tara said:
post 108649 Hi,
Sorry you picked up HIV. I think your odds of living a long and healthy life with it are much better now than 30-odd years ago.

If you feel like telling more ...

Will you be free, in the testing program, to add your own additional supplements etc?

I guess you've read Peat's recommendations about low PUFA.

TSH of 3 looks high. Have you taken a few temperature and heart-rate readings? If they also indicat low metabolism, you might want to consider some cautious supplemental thyroid.

Are DEXA scans x-rays? If so, you've got some destructive testing in the regime.

Hi Tara, I'll find out more on Wednesday what I'm supposed to do or not. I don't anticipate that supplements won't be allowed. The primary purpose of the trial I believe is to measure the medicine's ability to lower viral load. The DEXA's are because bone density can be affected by HIV meds so Gilead wants data to see how much less of a side effect that will be with the new improved drug. For all I know, they may only do one scan at the beginning and one at the end, but I just don't know yet. I'll have to look into the effect of x-rays some more.

I haven't measured temp and pulse yet, in fact I just got back from the store to pick up a digital thermometer. After 60 seconds it beeped at 97.1 F, after ten minutes under my arm its been steady at 98.0. How long should I leave it? Tomorrow I'll start doing waking temp and after breakfast temp.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Platinum said:
post 108684 I haven't measured temp and pulse yet, in fact I just got back from the store to pick up a digital thermometer. After 60 seconds it beeped at 97.1 F, after ten minutes under my arm its been steady at 98.0. How long should I leave it? Tomorrow I'll start doing waking temp and after breakfast temp.
I usually leave my digital thermometer in and take repeated readings till it stabilises at two consecutive readings being the same. Usually takes a few minutes.

Platinum said:
post 108684 I'll have to look into the effect of x-rays some more.
Here's one. :)
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/bonedensity.shtml

OP
P

Platinum

tara said:
post 108689
Platinum said:
post 108684 I haven't measured temp and pulse yet, in fact I just got back from the store to pick up a digital thermometer. After 60 seconds it beeped at 97.1 F, after ten minutes under my arm its been steady at 98.0. How long should I leave it? Tomorrow I'll start doing waking temp and after breakfast temp.
I usually leave my digital thermometer in and take repeated readings till it stabilises at two consecutive readings being the same. Usually takes a few minutes.

Platinum said:

Well, crap :) If I'm lucky, it's optional. Otherwise, I could always back out of the study, do normal HIV treatment and spend $2250/year on my insurance deductible and out-of-pocket to avoid the x-rays :ninja

tara

Worth finding out what you can about the study before you decide, I imagine. Once you've done that, if they give you much information, it might be a case that would be worth asking Peat's opinion about directly - he might say if he think it's a promising/rational line worth trying or whether the risks outweigh the likely benefits.

Reducing viral load in principle sounds like a good idea to me.

I was listening to a guy talking on the radio recently who has had been HIV positive for nearly 3 decades, is taking whatever is prescribed him, and is in reasonable health. No idea what the standard protocols are here.

Sea

Platinum said:
tara said:
post 108689
Platinum said:

Platinum said:

Well, crap :) If I'm lucky, it's optional. Otherwise, I could always back out of the study, do normal HIV treatment and spend $2250/year on my insurance deductible and out-of-pocket to avoid the x-rays :ninja

I don't have time to make a long post, but from Ray Peat's point of view HIV shouldn't be treated any differently than hypothyroidism. Most pharma drugs are toxic and don't cure anything. You can find studies posted in these forums about basic supplements such as niacinamide being effective against HIV. Maybe you will benefit more than other hypothyroid people from methylene blue or antibiotics, but any condition should resolve when the temp/pulse rate becomes high enough.

OP
P

Platinum

Tests as of today

Here's all the testing done since I started seeing my new primary doctor.

10/1/15
Viral Load: HIV 1 RNA, QN PCR 23862 H copies/<20

10/12/15
Viral Load: HIV 1 RNA, QN PCR 12322 H copies/<20
CD4 Count:
NAME VALUE REFERENCE RANGE
F ABSOLUTE CD4+ CELLS<B> 565 490-1740 (cells/uL)

TSH: 3.1092

Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (morning, fasted)
ALBUMIN 4.7 3.0 - 5.5 (g/dL)
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.3 0.0 - 1.5 (mg/dL)
CALCIUM 10.0 8.5 - 10.5 (mg/dL)
CHLORIDE 101 94 - 115 (mmol/L)
CREATININE 0.95 0.72 - 1.25 (mg/dL)
GLUCOSE 74 65 - 140 (mg/dL) - FASTING: < 100 mg/dL
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 92 40 - 150 (IU/L)
POTASSIUM 4.5 3.5 - 5.5 (mmol/L)
PROTEIN, TOTAL 7.5 6.0 - 8.5 (g/dL)
SODIUM 138 132 - 149 (mmol/L)
CO2 25 18 - 33 (mmol/L)
SGOT (AST) 23 10 - 50 (IU/L)
BUN 14 6 - 23 (mg/dL)
BUN/CREAT RATIO 14.70 5.00 - 25.00 (Ratio)
A/G RATIO 1.7 0.6 - 3.1 (Ratio)
GLOBULIN 2.8 1.7 - 3.7 (g/dL)
SGPT (ALT) 20 2 - 50 (IU/L)
GFR, (NON AFR-AMER) 104 >= 60 (mL/minute)
GFR, (AFRICAN-AMERICAN) 125 >= 60 (mL/minute)

CBC IH (blood cell counts, etc)
WBC 5.7 4.1 - 10.9 K/uL
Lymphs 1.9 0.6 - 4.1
MID *0.2 0.0 - 1.8
Neutrophils 3.6
RBC 4.58 4.20 - 6.30 M/uL
HGB 14.1 12.0 - 18.0 g/dL
HCT 41.7 37.0 - 51.0 %
MCV 91 80.0 - 97.0 fL
MCH 30.8 26.0 - 32.0 pg
MCHC 33.8 31.0 - 36.0 g/dL
Platelets 211 140. - 440. K/uL

10/24/15
I requested Testosterone, Prolaction, and Parathyroid. Unfortunately, I think he got mixed up when I mentioned my TSH of 3 and put in a T3 test instead of PTH. Oh well. At least he was willing to do it for me, he simply warned that the tests were esoteric and normally Prolaction is only tested for pituitary tumors and he can't promise insurance will cover it. Fingers crossed I'm not paying a lot of money....I also wanted Iron and D3 but forgot to ask.

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 385.86 240 - 870 (ng/dL)
T3 TOTAL 1.17 0.58 - 1.59 (ng/mL)
PROLACTIN 12.12 3.0 - 19.0 (ng/mL)

tara

Sea said:
post 108696 but from Ray Peat's point of view HIV shouldn't be treated any differently than hypothyroidism

Where have you read/heard this?
I'd be going for supporting metabolism with diet and supplements and carbon dioxide, for sure, but I would probably also be interested in considering relevant drugs.

OP
P

Platinum

tara said:
post 108700
Sea said:
post 108696 but from Ray Peat's point of view HIV shouldn't be treated any differently than hypothyroidism

Where have you read/heard this?
I'd be going for supporting metabolism with diet and supplements and carbon dioxide, for sure, but I would probably also be interested in considering relevant drugs.

Yeah, I'm all for avoiding toxic things in the body but I'm not sure if I want to take the risk of no meds. Certainly, many folks have lived for decades on much worse medicine than today's new integrase inhibitors (which I'm told have milder side effects). I suspect most HIV patients aren't aware of Peat's ideas and I'll do way better than most by supporting my metabolism.

For what it's worth, I'll either receive the newer medicine, or I'll be placed in the control group and receive Triumeq, the current first choice in the market. It's a blinded study during the first year.

OP
P

Platinum

Hi Platinum!

While not HIV positive myself, I have volunteered for an AIDS Service Organization and currently work for a gay men's health organization, so I know a lot about the HIV virus. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. I'm much more active on the Ray Peat Inspired facebook group but lurk around here for resources occasionally.

As many people said, meds will suppress your viral load and make you undetectable (meaning you won't be able to pass on the virus as long as you are med compliant) I even read a study that HIV positive individuals actually may live longer that HIV negative individuals (because they are taking care of their health and frequently visiting the doctor for tests) - so imagine combining that with a Peatarian protocol/lifestyle!

Cheers,

Kai

jaguar43

I think Ray Peat said in one of his interviews that He knew someone who was taking 7 grams of aspirin per day. He tested negative after being told he had HIV.

Ray has also written that sometimes that it's misdiagnosed. Here are some quotes that are from his article on immunodeficiency.

Endogenous retroviruses are activated by toxins known to be associated with immunodeficiency. Everyone has endogenous retroviruses. The antibodies which are used to diagnose "HIV" infection can, in the demonstrated absence of that virus, be produced in connection with lupus, Sjogren's syndrome, and arthritis. These autoimmune conditions are promoted by estrogen.

Treatments for roundworms and other parasites cause antibodies to retroviruses to appear in animals that previously tested negative; this might account for the high rates of positive tests for HIV in areas such as Africa in which treatment for filiariasis is common

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/im ... ency.shtml

Did they only diagnosis you via the Antibodies test? Or have you run other test like the RNA test ?

I think other blood work that could be helpful is cortisol and estrogen ( estradiol ).

Finally, I have seen people advocate low-dose naltrexone for HIV. I have used it before and I think it can be helpful to those with prolong stressful adaptations.

OP
P

Platinum

jag2594 said:
post 108714 I think Ray Peat said in one of his interviews that He knew someone who was taking 7 grams of aspirin per day. He tested negative after being told he had HIV.

Ray has also written that sometimes that it's misdiagnosed. Here are some quotes that are from his article on immunodeficiency.

Endogenous retroviruses are activated by toxins known to be associated with immunodeficiency. Everyone has endogenous retroviruses. The antibodies which are used to diagnose "HIV" infection can, in the demonstrated absence of that virus, be produced in connection with lupus, Sjogren's syndrome, and arthritis. These autoimmune conditions are promoted by estrogen.

Treatments for roundworms and other parasites cause antibodies to retroviruses to appear in animals that previously tested negative; this might account for the high rates of positive tests for HIV in areas such as Africa in which treatment for filiariasis is common

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/im ... ency.shtml

Did they only diagnosis you via the Antibodies test? Or have you run other test like the RNA test ?

I think other blood work that could be helpful is cortisol and estrogen ( estradiol ).

Finally, I have seen people advocate low-dose naltrexone for HIV. I have used it before and I think it can be helpful to those with prolong stressful adaptations.

The first positive test, which was Sept 12, was actually negative on antibodies while positive for HIV RNA (viral load test). It was testing for blood donation, I figured donating would be a good way to lower iron (though I haven't had an iron test it still seemed like a healthy thing to do).

My confirmation test on 10/1 with my doctor to make sure it wasn't a false positive came back positive for both anti-bodies and virus. I seroconverted in September and most likely infected within the 3 months prior.

When I have time I'll update my original post with the supplements I have. I started one 325mg aspirin every morning last thursday and my B vitamins arrived today.