Question About Pumpkin Seed Oil

Makaveli

About a month and a half ago, before I knew about Ray Peat, I started taking 1000 mg of cold-pressed pumpkin seed oil twice a day to regrow hair. I started a paleo diet around the same time. After a few weeks I noticed that my hair was already thicker and the itch on top of my head was pretty much gone. It's been about two weeks since I've known about Ray Peat's ideas and I've ceased both the PSO and paleo diet since then.

My itch has not returned as of yet and my hair is still thicker than it's been in a very long time. I'm not sure if changing my diet had anything to do with my hair or if it was the PSO. PSO has been shown to regrow hair Effect of Pumpkin Seed Oil on Hair Growth in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial and a part of me wants to continue taking it because of this reason but at the same time I don't want to consume all those omega-6's. What does the RayPeatForum think about this?

Here is the fatty acid profile of PSO:
  • Linoleic Acid (Parent Omega 6) 64.2%
  • Oleic Acid (Omega 9) 11.3%
  • Palmitic Acid (saturated) 14.6%
  • Stearic Acid (saturated) 9.9%
If I take 2000 mg per day (1000 mg twice daily) that's about half a teaspoon. Ray Peat recommends to stay under 4 grams per day of PUFA. 75.5% of PSO is PUFA so that means I'm actually only consuming 1510 mg of PUFA per day if i take the PSO. However that doesn't mean I wont be eating other stuff that has at least some PUFA since it's so difficult to avoid. Should I continue the PSO?

X3CyO

On the first half, it's filled with PUFAS, and low in saturated fat, although I've heard similar a similar story somewhere on the forum. Zinc deficiency has been linked to hair loss, and pumpkinseeds are notorious for having good amounts of zinc and other minerals.

Pretty sure if you switch this out for coconut fat in modest amounts and maybe took a multivitamin every once and a while, or ate a balanced peat diet you'll be fine.

upload_2016-10-25_14-33-33.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals