Caseine Powder Discussion

BastiFuntasty

Hello everyone, I am going to cut out dairy from my diet, since it seems to include too much estrogen and progesterone which harm my body composition negatively.

Since I still want to profit from the nice calcium content I was thinking about using caseine powder. The question now is, which one would be the best choice.

1. Micellar Caseine

Just mechanic filtration which leaves the proteine structure intact, but no removal of whey.
Tryptophan content 1.7g

2. Calcium caseinate

Processed with acids which denaturates the structure and possibly leaves unpleasant residues, but cuts the whey out

Tryptophan content 1.2g

So what are your own experiences with these two. Do you think the lower Tryptophan is worth the acid treatment or wouldn't those few more mg make any difference.

I know that we have already discussed about bcaas being able to slow down Tryptophan absorption significantly in the gut. So one point maybe to stay with micellar Caseine.

Sorry for the long text, but I think this thread can help many searching the right caseine product.

Best regards

Morning Star

Try skim milk, most of the estrogen is in the fat. Milk is too nutritious a food to entirely forgo.

snowboard111

I take micellar casein. The way calcium caseinate is made seems too much "processed" for me (whatever it mean in the supplements world).

As for the Tryptophan content, I don't where you're based but you can get micellar casein at 1.1g of Tryptophan/100g of protein (that's the lowest I found)

OP
B

BastiFuntasty

I take micellar casein. The way calcium caseinate is made seems too much "processed" for me (whatever it mean in the supplements world).

As for the Tryptophan content, I don't where you're based but you can get micellar casein at 1.1g of Tryptophan/100g of protein (that's the lowest I found)
Now that you mention it, well it's a little weird. Here in Germany all micellars are labeled as 1.7g Tryptophan. Whereas milk is labeled with 1.3g Tryptophan per 100g protein. That's some kind of paradox, and they don't say anything about addition of Tryptophan.

mt_dreams

i would go with micellar as the process seems cleaner. i don't think there will be enough whey in it to be a problem, unless you're allergic to it.
You could also try and find some fat free cheese as it should only contain casein.

if you're still feeling the estrogen effects of skim milk, I wonder what could be contributing to it. I doubt it's the sugars, so it would then seem it's in either the whey or casein.

I remember ray saying the trypt content of milk wont be a problem as most should convert vitamin. though i'm not sure which milk choices would best allow this to happen

chispas

I was consuming two casein shakes a day - morning and night with the idea that high protein was going to heat my body up and help me lose weight and build muscle. This didn't happen at all, although the high protein did make me feel good. Put some glycine in there to counter the glutamic acid. Glutamic acid is more of a worry than a little bit of tryptophan. Casein has significantly less tryptophan than whey.

It definitely tastes good. I am going to experiment with BCAAs and ditch consuming so many calories via these shakes. The leucine in the milk protein seems to stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin - the sort of thing that would be great post-workout in the afternoon/evening, not during the cortisol rise of the morning hours.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals