Peatiest vegan/plant protein source?

Vajra

Plan on going on a vegan diet for ethical reasons and I'd like to leave the discussion there; In nutritional terms, some meat is great or dairy if tolerated. I've been pretty inspired by @olive's posts (see here and here) with a meal plan mainly consisting of several pounds of sweet potatoes a day with fruits in between: excellent for micros, but the problem is that it usually lands me at ~40g a day and ideally one would like >100.​

The 3 most significant factors are the calcium:phosphate ratio, antinutrients, and amino acid composition. As far as I can tell, the 1st is more important as without dairy or pounds of kale, you're going to need calcium supplementation and from what I've read here, your GI will thank you for every gram of supplemental calcium not taken. So I'll just have a basic overview taken from cronometer Ca:P for all the good options I could think of, antinutrients notwithstanding - any input? The amino acids all look similar in terms of fernstrom ratio & methionine content, which is an advantage.

g Protein/100gCa:P
Pea Protein powder90 (more BCAAs than whey)0.94
Bionetic Rice Protein powder800.4
Lentils9.11
Kidney Beans8.7.2
Black Beans8.9.19
Navy Beans8.2.48
Pinto Beans9.31
Chickpeas8.9.29
Quinoa4.4.12
Comparison between Bionetic rice protein, pea protein, whey, myprotein brown rice, and 90% beef:
amino-acid-comparison.png
Rice sounds easiest to digest out of the plant protein powders and it seems like an okay balance - the brown rice powder is more of a methionine and cystine bomb than even beef, and some brands of rice protein on cronometer showed methionine upwards of 7g.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Maybe a potato protein powder
Second that. Potatoes are a complete protein that can be consumed in a multitude of ways, even for those with very sensitive digestion (you can juice potatoes, filter out the starch, then cook the protein rich liquid into a “scramble” like eggs). Peat has compared potato protein to milk protein in terms of its high quality.

Second idea would be mushrooms, although it’s technically not a plant. Like potatoes, they don’t appear to be high in protein on the macro level but it’s a complete, quality protein. I believe you can even get mushroom protein powder.

I

i_nomad

Plan on going on a vegan diet for ethical reasons and I'd like to leave the discussion there
Sorry, but no. Self-indulgent “ethics” with no divine source (because that’s what would be required…) does not change your body’s nutritional needs.

All relevant science is clear.

You simply cannot “my truth” your way past that fact.

JoeT

I relate to your ethical desire to not harm animals. And I agree with the potatoes and well cooked mushrooms as good quality protein sources already put forward.

I've even juiced potatoes but it's a pain in the arse and I've never understood this whole scrambling it thing...it's a broth.

I personally wouldn't go near the protein powders, due to the oxidation issue, although I have tried to find a decent potato powder. They all seem to be on aliexpress from China though and sadly I don't trust the sources. If anyone knows somewhere in Europe that isn't just trade let me know! Potato flakes might be another option as a kinda supplement.

Ray said it himself in one of his interviews, industry just hasn't put enough research into alternative quality non animal protein sources for us to really know what's good...apart from potato and mushrooms and even then the research is sparse.

YourUniverse

Bean and grain protein is very poor quality. Tubers, mushrooms, and fruits (and tolerated veggies) would be your bet. 2lbs of potato has roughly the same protein content as 1L of milk due to the ketoacids in the potato.

PeskyPeater

Plan on going on a vegan diet for ethical reasons and I'd like to leave the discussion there; In nutritional terms, some meat is great or dairy if tolerated. I've been pretty inspired by @olive's posts (see here and here) with a meal plan mainly consisting of several pounds of sweet potatoes a day with fruits in between: excellent for micros, but the problem is that it usually lands me at ~40g a day and ideally one would like >100.​

terrible diet to copy. lot's of berries are high in flavonoid that reduce elemination of estrogen.

40 grams of protein could work it you are an old man.

Those protein comparison are invalid. vegetable protein is in storage form and the bioavailability is too low. How are you going to increase the bioavailability?

I

i_nomad

Yet you are also an animal who has begun harming themselves.
Exactly.
terrible diet to copy. lot's of berries are high in flavonoid that reduce elemination of estrogen.

40 grams of protein could work it you are an old man.

Those protein comparison are invalid. vegetable protein is in storage form and the bioavailability is too low. How are you going to increase the bioavailability?
Exactly.

TradClare

I was raised vegan on a lowfat diet because my parents did McDougall program. We had fresh OJ, oatmeal, and fruits for breakfast. For lunch I had sprouted bread, a giant carrot, a piece of fruit and maybe some almonds. Dinner was always salad, baked potatoes with salsa, bread or pasta sometimes, and whatever vegetables my mom made. We did eat lentil soup or bean soup once a week. We were so hungry! Of course I also ate candy and birthday treats when available. But, I grew to be 5'10" and was always the healthiest of my friends. So it's not that hard but I do think you need to keep the fat almost at zero to get in enough protein (ie better to eat several potatoes than get full on one with added fat). We ate a ton! Sometimes I miss those days. Now my family eats some meat but less than everyone we know. We buy raw milk from a church friend with a few dairy cows on her farm. We also have a huge deer overpopulation here and it's merciful to hunt them because they get wasting diseases otherwise. We even had to rescue a fawn abandoned in our backyard (he'll be released in a couple months, he's doing great). It was good for me to hold him and take care of him a bit yet still be thankful for venison in the freezer.

FrenchKiwi

I was raised vegan on a lowfat diet because my parents did McDougall program. We had fresh OJ, oatmeal, and fruits for breakfast. For lunch I had sprouted bread, a giant carrot, a piece of fruit and maybe some almonds. Dinner was always salad, baked potatoes with salsa, bread or pasta sometimes, and whatever vegetables my mom made. We did eat lentil soup or bean soup once a week. We were so hungry! Of course I also ate candy and birthday treats when available. But, I grew to be 5'10" and was always the healthiest of my friends. So it's not that hard but I do think you need to keep the fat almost at zero to get in enough protein (ie better to eat several potatoes than get full on one with added fat). We ate a ton! Sometimes I miss those days. Now my family eats some meat but less than everyone we know. We buy raw milk from a church friend with a few dairy cows on her farm. We also have a huge deer overpopulation here and it's merciful to hunt them because they get wasting diseases otherwise. We even had to rescue a fawn abandoned in our backyard (he'll be released in a couple months, he's doing great). It was good for me to hold him and take care of him a bit yet still be thankful for venison in the freezer.
Just wondering why you say that you miss those days?

TradClare

Just wondering why you say that you miss those days?
I have happy memories of tons of energy, being very fit dancing, and eating mountains of food. I still eat more than anyone I know. When I try to recreate the diet a la Mcdougall, I feel great for awhile and I do have more energy, but I just get so hungry and hate eating so differently from everyone. Plus I'm significantly older haha. But I really do well on highcarbs, I have no idea how people function on keto

FrenchKiwi

I have happy memories of tons of energy, being very fit dancing, and eating mountains of food. I still eat more than anyone I know. When I try to recreate the diet a la Mcdougall, I feel great for awhile and I do have more energy, but I just get so hungry and hate eating so differently from everyone. Plus I'm significantly older haha. But I really do well on highcarbs, I have no idea how people function on keto
I have always been obsessed with the mcdougall diet because I love starches more than anything else. But I can't eat to satiety and stay very lean unfortunately. Can you do a modified mcdougall with some lean protein for satiety? Potatoes with lean meats? What do you eat now?

TradClare

I have always been obsessed with the mcdougall diet because I love starches more than anything else. But I can't eat to satiety and stay very lean unfortunately. Can you do a modified mcdougall with some lean protein for satiety? Potatoes with lean meats? What do you eat now?
Are you sure you can't stay lean on fat free potatoes, oatmeal, rice, pasta? Of course with added veggies and fruits also. Most people can also eat breads/pretzels that are fat free but since they don't come with water, they are not as filling and so they advise those not losing enough weight to ditch those and make half their plate veggies. Now I eat oatmeal, tons of fruit, homemade bread and honey, beans/lentils (note that these are optional - in my childhood we had lentils or beans in soup once a week now I eat more often), some raw veggies like cukes and celery, potatoes, many soups, a little raw milk when I feel like it but it's mostly for the kids, beef 1-2 times a week in something, chicken breasts a couple times a month. I use some coconut oil when I make cookies and muffins. I will go up a few pounds if I start eating too many, or putting butter on things, or eating quantities of chocolate. I did actually have an experience of gaining weight on starch: when I left home to go to college, I lived on bagels and pretzels (it was the late 90s) and I was "hungry" every hour. I was very homesick and my dad had just died so it was the combo of refined flour blood sugar crashes and emotional emptiness. I don't think I would have reached for rice or potatoes every hour

FrenchKiwi

Are you sure you can't stay lean on fat free potatoes, oatmeal, rice, pasta? Of course with added veggies and fruits also. Most people can also eat breads/pretzels that are fat free but since they don't come with water, they are not as filling and so they advise those not losing enough weight to ditch those and make half their plate veggies. Now I eat oatmeal, tons of fruit, homemade bread and honey, beans/lentils (note that these are optional - in my childhood we had lentils or beans in soup once a week now I eat more often), some raw veggies like cukes and celery, potatoes, many soups, a little raw milk when I feel like it but it's mostly for the kids, beef 1-2 times a week in something, chicken breasts a couple times a month. I use some coconut oil when I make cookies and muffins. I will go up a few pounds if I start eating too many, or putting butter on things, or eating quantities of chocolate. I did actually have an experience of gaining weight on starch: when I left home to go to college, I lived on bagels and pretzels (it was the late 90s) and I was "hungry" every hour. I was very homesick and my dad had just died so it was the combo of refined flour blood sugar crashes and emotional emptiness. I don't think I would have reached for rice or potatoes every hour
You make me want to try the starch diet again. I looove these foods!

FrenchKiwi

I
I just made a big batch of my favourite mashed potatoes and peas as well as some overnight oats. Yummy

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals