Peatiest vegan/plant protein source?

Michael Mohn

Plan on going on a vegan diet for ethical reasons and I'd like to leave the discussion there; In nutritional terms, some meat is great or dairy if tolerated. I've been pretty inspired by @olive's posts (see here and here) with a meal plan mainly consisting of several pounds of sweet potatoes a day with fruits in between: excellent for micros, but the problem is that it usually lands me at ~40g a day and ideally one would like >100.​

The 3 most significant factors are the calcium:phosphate ratio, antinutrients, and amino acid composition. As far as I can tell, the 1st is more important as without dairy or pounds of kale, you're going to need calcium supplementation and from what I've read here, your GI will thank you for every gram of supplemental calcium not taken. So I'll just have a basic overview taken from cronometer Ca:P for all the good options I could think of, antinutrients

Peat recommends potatoes and mushrooms as plant proteins. They have good amounts of high quality protein and keto acids.

Fruit has good quality protein and some fruit has high protein like bread fruit, up to 7% protein. If you live in the US you might get some. It's a tropical fruit, very popular in the Caribbeans.

In general you have to eat lots of fruits like 3 kilo per day if you want it to matter as a protein source.

Shellfish like oyster has no central nervous system and is very micro nutrient rich and a good source of protein. There's no ethical argument against eating shellfish.

Sefton10

Just come across this potato protein powder in the UK.

Ingredients: Potato Protein (80.19%), Organic Cocoa Powder (19%), Organic Vanilla (0.65%), Organic Stevia (0.16%)

EDIT: realised they do an unflavoured version too that is just pure potato protein powder.

“To create our potato protein, we extract the juice, remove the starch, then we heat-treat and spray-dry the remaining liquid to create a highly bioavailable protein powder that avoids the gut-irritating properties found in other protein powders.”

Amazon product ASIN B0B71WSG12View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chocolate-Potato-Protein-Powder-Bioavailable/dp/B0B71WSG12/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=potato%2Bprotein%2Bpowder%2Bfor%2Bbaking&qid=1674315257&sr=8-5&th=1

Sefton10

Protein content and amino acid composition of commercially available plant-based protein isolates​

“Of the ten plant-based proteins included in the current analysis, potato protein is the only protein source containing the WHO/FAO/UNU requirements for all essential amino acids. Thus, when consuming potato protein as the only dietary protein source at the recommended adult protein intake level of 0.66 g/kg/day, sufficient amounts of all essential amino acids should be consumed.”

Peachy

I second keeping in humane eggs, dairy. Beyond that, sprouted lentils and sprouted organic garbanzos. It’s very easy to do.

Michael Mohn

Just come across this potato protein powder in the UK.

Ingredients: Potato Protein (80.19%), Organic Cocoa Powder (19%), Organic Vanilla (0.65%), Organic Stevia (0.16%)

EDIT: realised they do an unflavoured version too that is just pure potato protein powder.

“To create our potato protein, we extract the juice, remove the starch, then we heat-treat and spray-dry the remaining liquid to create a highly bioavailable protein powder that avoids the gut-irritating properties found in other protein powders.”

Amazon product ASIN B0B71WSG12View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chocolate-Potato-Protein-Powder-Bioavailable/dp/B0B71WSG12/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=potato%2Bprotein%2Bpowder%2Bfor%2Bbaking&qid=1674315257&sr=8-5&th=1
:thumbright Good find! I was looking for something like this.

Sefton10