cascara sagrada

Stunning4keke

so once again i am still kinda new to all of this and just reading my way around. i always thought cascara sagrada caused a "dependency" that the colon shouldn't have it. and now i am hearing that it is an herb that can also pull out endotoxin's? is that correct?

if so, how do you take it in the powder form. someone on here told me about a powdered form on Amazon.

or are there any other brands that people like and how do you take the cascara sagrada?

thank you!

and is that false that it causes a dependency?

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

does cascara sagrada cause the colon to become dependent? or should one stay on a certain amount all the time to pull out endotoxin's?

pboy

If you don't need it, then you wont be dependent on it. If you are constipated, then you are 'dependent' on anything that will move your bowels. It doesn't do anything to permanently cause you to need it specifically. Anything that tastes really bitter will have similar / the same effect (if you took a plain double shot strong espresso and walked around the room, this would likely stimulate your bowels just as much as a weak cascara tea). You don't need to regularly take things to 'remove endotoxins', normal bowel movements do this. Endotoxins generally aren't produced in any significant amount unless food is sitting around for more than a day or 2. Using things like a raw carrot or cascara can help speed up bowel movements if you are feeling sluggish...but I dunno, I personally wouldn't want to consume them everyday. If I felt myself constantly needing to, I'd probably be like..."Patching the problem everyday with these strong bitters is not really going anywhere....let me try to figure out why I'm not moving regularly in the first place"

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

i just ordered the powdered cascara sagrada. wondering how i should take it. do i make it as a tea? or put the powder in some water. wondering how many days per week i should use the cascara?

keke (i think i like keke better than stunning, what do you think?)

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

okay, so i could use a reply about how i am supposed to use the cascara powder and how much i should start with?
do i just put the powder in my mouth and chase it down with water or orange juice. do i put a small amount in a hot tea.
how should i start this cascara sagrada? thank you! keke

4peatssake

Stunning4keke said:
okay, so i could use a reply about how i am supposed to use the cascara powder and how much i should start with?
do i just put the powder in my mouth and chase it down with water or orange juice. do i put a small amount in a hot tea.
how should i start this cascara sagrada? thank you! keke
keke,

Here's a thread on cascara. It may help to read other people's recommendations and experience.

viewtopic.php?p=1368#p1368

With the powder, you can put it in gelatin capsules or drink it straight. It's really bitter and I think jyb chases it with lemon juice. :?

Probably best to start with a low dose but make sure to wait a good 24 hours before upping the dose as it can take some time to work. You don't want the situation to get, er, too explosive! :lol:

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

well i already got a huge bag of the powder that was suggested in the supplements on here. so i'm guessing that gelatin caps are okay to take instead of veg caps? and that whole mad cow disease doesn't apply?

i guess i will put the powder in some kind of hot tea with lemon to chase it down. wondering if i could just put some powder in orange juice?

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

i've been just taking some casacara powder straight and it's pretty intense but i down it with orange juice right away and it's okay. i feel a "warming" from the cascara that i like a lot. also with the orange juice.

the cascara is already not working as well as it did the very first time i used it. what is up with that? i am still so constipated and so uncomfortable.

Swandattur

I started taking cascara as an alternative to carrot salad. I thought it might be even better for removing endotoxin and so help more with mood. It did work well, but I started getting insomnia, especially the type where I wake up early and can't go back to sleep. Finally, I realized it might be the cascara. Last night I didn't take it, and I woke up even more than usual, but was able to go back to sleep each time easily. So, I ended up sleeping better. I think something else was waking me up. The litter box for two kittens we have was the problem there. Finally, I moved it somewhere else, and trusted that the kittens would remember the new location.
Anyway, I'm wondering if I took it early in the day if I would still get insomnia. Also, I wonder if it does all the same stuff, like removing serotonin, as raw carrot. I tried bamboo shoots, and got insomnia with that, too.

Jenn

When you wake up in the middle of the night it's because your liver has run out of fuel and your adrenals have kicked in to maintain blood sugar. Eat something, OJ is good because it hits fast. Then you should be able to go back to sleep and sleep deep.

Swandattur

I think I tried that. A little while back, I would wake up feeling not good, and usually eating something would make me feel better and help me go back to sleep. For the most part, I have improved considerably on this. I wake up, feel okay, and go back to sleep without needing any food. On the cascara, I would wake up, feel okay, but not be able to go back to sleep. I would be just too wide awake. It is as if it is a stimulant like coffee. Eventually, the insomnia gets to me, though. I think the bamboo shoots did something similar. I'm back to the carrot, now. I might try taking the cascara in the morning, though, and see if my sleep is okay, then. Maybe after a while, I will try that experiment.

jyb

Swandattur said:
I think I tried that. A little while back, I would wake up feeling not good, and usually eating something would make me feel better and help me go back to sleep. For the most part, I have improved considerably on this. I wake up, feel okay, and go back to sleep without needing any food. On the cascara, I would wake up, feel okay, but not be able to go back to sleep. I would be just too wide awake. It is as if it is a stimulant like coffee. Eventually, the insomnia gets to me, though. I think the bamboo shoots did something similar. I'm back to the carrot, now. I might try taking the cascara in the morning, though, and see if my sleep is okay, then. Maybe after a while, I will try that experiment.

I totally agree with this observation.

1) Nights where I wake up with hunger or inability to fall asleep seem to be caused by an underlying issue that can't be fixed with just eating more sugar/fat/salt/gelatin before bed. Of course, it's always better to do that, and to eat again if interrupted during sleep in order to attempt to get back to sleep.

2) On the other side, nights with deep sleep tend to be less interrupted, and when interruption occurs, eating a bit to refill is entirely optional in order to go back to sleep. It's not clear in that case if the stores have emptied as much as in the first case, but due to a better physiological state one is more immune to stress which makes it possible to fall asleep without refill. Or if the better state means that less fuel is wasted, so that when woken up, one isn't stressed and is able to fall asleep without refill.

In my experience, RPPS is the only method to shift from 1) to 2) - way more potently than thyroid supp, gelatin, light etc. I'm pretty insomniac and unresponsive to thyroid supplementation, so I'm guessing most people with sleep issues may resolve this with simpler means. If anyone can tell me why RPPS is so beneficial to me (it's just another source of energy - ketoacids - which shouldn't make a difference if I'm able to digest sugar during the day?), I'd be grateful.

Swandattur

When I wake up and am able to fall back asleep without food, I assume that my liver is storing glycogen successfully. I do notice when I check that my fasting blood sugars in the morning are at normal levels instead of high like they used to be. If RPPS is ketoacids, doesn't the brain need some of those or at least can run largely on them? Maybe it takes the place of glucose in large part for the brain. I'll have to read up on that again. I did read about it when doing low carb.

jyb

The brain and other things can use ketoacids well. But I don't understand why one would benefit from it if one is already digesting enough glucose.

Swandattur

Ketoacids are supposed to be good in the case of epilepsy. Something about being calming. Hmm, I need to read up on that.

Swandattur

Cascara sagrada seems to work better for me when taken earlier in the day. I've been taking it earlier and not having insomnia.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals