Cascara Sagrada [Good Sources?]

gretchen

Re: Cascara Sagrada

I really don't like cascara sagrada. The few times I've taken it I've gotten bad diarrhea.

Dayman

Ray Peat said:
Almost everyone in the US is familiar with the idea of “laxative abuse,” of using laxatives when they aren’t absolutely necessary, and with the idea that chronic laxative use will create a dependency, the way an addictive drug does. Contemporary doctors are likely to prescribe stool softeners for constipated old people, rather than “stimulant laxatives,” probably because “softener” doesn’t have the pejorative connotation that “stimulant drug” has--not because there is a scientific basis for the choice.

Does this mean Ray doesn't necessarily believe that you can become dependent on a laxative?
Is it safe for me to use cascara sagrada continuously?
And what about other laxatives such as senna?

I am using this product http://www.vitacost.com/natures-herbs-c ... 0-capsules

peatarian said:
I have contacted Farmalabors years ago and got the answer that they only sell to pharmacies. So I found a pharmacy which agreed to order there. (The Price was 400% of what Farmalabors charges.) But they sent me a liquid solution with cascara sagrada, some glycerine and 80% alcohol which I didn't want to drink. Apart from everything else it tastes awful and I am used to a lot of awful stuff but this is impossible to drink.

I found a pharmacy in Italy (Southern Tirol) which agreed to order pure cascara sagrada powder for me. I can look it up and post the e-mailaddress later if you want. I filled the powder in gelatine capsules myself.

please can you send me a private message with the link or something? i can't contact you. thanks!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

John, Peatarian is not here anymore. :( Check your PM I will send you the info.

sunmountain

Hi Charlie,

I just PM'd you for the source for farmalabors.

Thanks

FredSonoma

Cascara Sagrada

I have major bloating but not really a big issue with bowel movements - I go at least once a day and it always comes out easily, if anything it is too soft. Will cascara help my bloating / digestion though?

Daryl

Hi Charlie,

Any chance you still have the details for that pharmacy in Italy that stocks Farmalabors cascara? It would be great if you could pass that on.

I can’t PM you for some reason, tells me the message may be spam-like or inappropriate – it really isn’t!

Thanks

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Any chance you still have the details for that pharmacy in Italy that stocks Farmalabors cascara? It would be great if you could pass that on.
Here ya go. :) http://www.farmalabor.it/ They do not ship to the USA unfortunately. :(

I can’t PM you for some reason, tells me the message may be spam-like or inappropriate – it really isn’t!
You probably hit one of the keywords that spammers use often. Apologies for that, I am still tweaking the spam systems here.

papaya

Has anyone tried health natura's cascara? I'm also wondering if it's a concentrated extract powder or just the powdered root. I'm pretty sure that the Italian one is an extract which is why it's stronger.

forterpride

Cascara Sagrada is a Godsend. I started using it back when I was about 19, when I started reading about the benefits of doing bowel cleanses. I have always had intestinal issues, right from birth. It makes me feel SO good. Ray Peat says it decreases bowel inflammation just about as good as anything else out there. And it makes since, since I've always had inflamed bowels.

One capsule per day works well for me. You can't get too crazy, or your stools will be 100% water. Find the right balance to decrease bowel inflammation, and stick with it. Eventually, you'll go off of it when your bowel inflammation is gone.

My mom has the same issues. Can your rec a dosage and source Jake? Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals