Cascara Sagrada [Good Sources?]

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Edit: Here is the best source of Cascara Sagrada that Ray Peat recommends!

Anyone got a good source for cascara sagrada? I know we are supposed to be looking for aged. About to order some and just want to make sure I make a quality buy. Not sure I want it in pill form, thinking powder might be best. The one listed on the supplements list looks promising, just want to double check though before I order.

Many thanks for your help!

Last edited:

nwo2012

Re: Cascara Sagrada

Charlie said:
Anyone got a good source for cascara sagrada? I know we are supposed to be looking for aged. About to order some and just want to make sure I make a quality buy. Not sure I want it in pill form, thinking powder might be best. The one listed on the supplements list looks promising, just want to double check though before I order.

Many thanks for your help!

Ray Peat says

I use Farmalabor cascara; I don't recommend it to anyone who is already in good health, but it's helpful for many people with various problems, including slow digestion or food sensitivities.

http://www.farmalabor.it/farmalabor/far ... ascarosids)%20500g/907196517/84650-55-5

sileindigo

Is there some way of ordering from that website? It looks like its Italian or something...
I've been using the liquid cascara extract from Naturlich Kost Co-op, but I believe I've read somewhere that that kind is sort of the "second best" option.

nwo2012

sileindigo said:
Is there some way of ordering from that website? It looks like its Italian or something...
I've been using the liquid cascara extract from Naturlich Kost Co-op, but I believe I've read somewhere that that kind is sort of the "second best" option.

English translation.
http://www.farmalabor.it/farmalabor/index_en.jsp

Ive emailed them on how to order. Awaiting reply. If no luck might ask one of you Yanks to hook me up with that extract (to Oz).

peatarian

I have contacted Farmalabors years ago and got the answer that they only sell to pharmacies. So I found a pharmacy which agreed to order there. (The Price was 400% of what Farmalabors charges.) But they sent me a liquid solution with cascara sagrada, some glycerine and 80% alcohol which I didn't want to drink. Apart from everything else it tastes awful and I am used to a lot of awful stuff but this is impossible to drink.

I found a pharmacy in Italy (Southern Tirol) which agreed to order pure cascara sagrada powder for me. I can look it up and post the e-mailaddress later if you want. I filled the powder in gelatine capsules myself.

nwo2012

peatarian said:
I have contacted Farmalabors years ago and got the answer that they only sell to pharmacies. So I found a pharmacy which agreed to order there. (The Price was 400% of what Farmalabors charges.) But they sent me a liquid solution with cascara sagrada, some glycerine and 80% alcohol which I didn't want to drink. Apart from everything else it tastes awful and I am used to a lot of awful stuff but this is impossible to drink.

I found a pharmacy in Italy (Southern Tirol) which agreed to order pure cascara sagrada powder for me. I can look it up and post the e-mailaddress later if you want. I filled the powder in gelatine capsules myself.

Yes please do. I also got the reply about them only selling to pharmacies. Was going to register a pharmacy just for the sake of it, easy to do here in Oz. lol.

peatarian

nwo2012 said:
Yes please do. I also got the reply about them only selling to pharmacies. Was going to register a pharmacy just for the sake of it, easy to do here in Oz. lol.

I hope you got my message ...

peatarian

Birdie

Pete, Thanks for that link to peatatarian.com. I had forgotten them.

jyb

peatarian said:

I would appreciate if you could PM with instructions too. I live in the UK. Many thanks.

chris

jyb - Did you ever find a good cascara source for the UK?

jyb

chris said:
jyb - Did you ever find a good cascara source for the UK?

Shipped from Italy. I'll PM you details.

jyb

It has a very, very sour taste - possibly the most difficult thing to ingest for me. I can down raw salt no problem, but not cascara.

A trick is have some fresh lemon juice ready, then dissolve cascara in warm water then swallow. Then rinse with the lemon juice a few times. The lemon will help to eliminate the aftertaste.

FunkOdyssey

Can people who have been using cascara long-term comment on the development of tolerance to the pro-motility effects? Does it continue to be effective for relieving constipation or do the benefits wane?

chris

What is a typical dose for cascara? Is it safe to take daily?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals