Cascara Sagrada [Good Sources?]

jyb

Re: Cascara Sagrada

chris said:
What is a typical dose for cascara? Is it safe to take daily?

Wouldn't you run into the GI relying on it? Like what they say about other laxatives.

jaketthomas

Cascara Sagrada is a Godsend. I started using it back when I was about 19, when I started reading about the benefits of doing bowel cleanses. I have always had intestinal issues, right from birth. It makes me feel SO good. Ray Peat says it decreases bowel inflammation just about as good as anything else out there. And it makes since, since I've always had inflamed bowels.

One capsule per day works well for me. You can't get too crazy, or your stools will be 100% water. Find the right balance to decrease bowel inflammation, and stick with it. Eventually, you'll go off of it when your bowel inflammation is gone.

aquaman

i use nature's way i bought off amazon, works great with making it into a tea, and leaving the powder sitting at the bottom of the cup.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Cool little article/paper on cascara sagrada:

Attachments

• cascara.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 399

jyb

I use about 1/4 to 1/2 of teaspoon of cascara daily ingested at the same time as the carrot salad. The transit becomes regular, but also short, maybe 15 hours only. I wonder if used daily whether that could prevent absorption of some important minerals like copper, due to speeding up transit time too much. What do you think? I mentioned copper as an example, because I have a small amount hair that became grey, but I don't experience thinning whatsoever, so I thought this might be caused by a copper deficiency. I know that I could always reduce the dose, but I find cascara quite useful so its very tempting to take this high dose.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I have wondered the same thing.

whitnatchee

Lacking much of a market here and the fact that the holiday is here, all I could find was bulk, cut leaf cascara sagrada.
Not looking for an explosive movement, would a 1/2 teaspoon in a cup of tea be a good start?
Thanks.

loess

Bulk cut cascara bark (as opposed to powdered cascara) should be fine, as long as the product has been aged properly (at least one year). I am not sure about dosage differences. You could always run it through a small coffee grinder or use a mortar+pestle to crush it which would effectively turn it roughly into "powder" and expose more surface area of the bark.

jyb

Re danger of excess cascara causing a reduced transit time and preventing absorption of important nutrients: if one is getting nutrients from easily digestible foods like milk, OJ, steak, liver, oysters, eggs eaten in small amounts at a time, then I'm not sure if a long digestion is required. The vitamins in OJ would get in fast. The copper is apparently absorbed in the stomach and upper intestines. Can you think of any nutrients that needs a long transit time to get absorbed? Maybe the important K2 that the internal bacteria produces would get less time to get absorbed and there would be even less bacteria to produce it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Directly after a night of drinking taking cascara sagrada is NOT a good move. :(

4peatssake

Charlie said:
Directly after a night of drinking taking cascara sagrada is NOT a good move. :(
No doubt but I'll bet activated charcoal is. ;)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

4peatssake said:
No doubt but I'll bet activated charcoal is. ;)
Oh yeh, duh. :(

jaguar43

Re: Cascara

quality is important, did you get the one from Italy ?

[moderator edit: posts moved]

4peatssake

jag2594 said:
I don't of anyone who can source the cascara from Italy. Do you get it from there or know how to?

I use the bark and make tea - ordered it from Amazon online from the supplement recommendations on the forum - and it works very well. But if the stuff from Italy can be sourced that would be great.

jaguar43

4peatssake said:
jag2594 said:
I don't of anyone who can source the cascara from Italy. Do you get it from there or know how to?

I use the bark and make tea - ordered it from Amazon online from the supplement recommendations on the forum - and it works very well. But if the stuff from Italy can be sourced that would be great.

jyb sent me the email for the pharmacy that he uses that carries the farmalabor cascara. I came in contact and they told me they could send it to the U.S. Nwo2012 thinks that australia has stricter customs then the U.S and he received it from Scotland ( the pharmacy sends it to Europe only) . I haven't tried because my funds are tied up, but if anyone else is interested send me an email.

Kray

aquaman said:
i use nature's way i bought off amazon, works great with making it into a tea, and leaving the powder sitting at the bottom of the cup.

Aquaman--

Are you still taking the cascara? I am using the Nature's Way too, I like it, and I like their quality, in general. I like your idea of making the tea, but I wondered if it is still effective taken that way? Do you use it regularly, like every day? I'm not sure about the habit-forming tendency that I've read about taking the herb, so I was wondering if the tea would be a safer alternative, and if it works as well as taking the capsule.

Thanks-

Kray

jaketthomas said:
Cascara Sagrada is a Godsend. I started using it back when I was about 19, when I started reading about the benefits of doing bowel cleanses. I have always had intestinal issues, right from birth. It makes me feel SO good. Ray Peat says it decreases bowel inflammation just about as good as anything else out there. And it makes since, since I've always had inflamed bowels.

One capsule per day works well for me. You can't get too crazy, or your stools will be 100% water. Find the right balance to decrease bowel inflammation, and stick with it. Eventually, you'll go off of it when your bowel inflammation is gone.

Since your post, have you stopped the cascara? I'm taking 1 cap/day and have felt really good. I'm just not sure about taking it long-term. How do you really know when your gut is healed if you take it everyday? Thanks for the info.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals