can we share restaurant tips here?

I'd love to know what you do when you are eating out to stay in tune with your diet.

I'm finding that I never liked to go to Italian places but now those seem the best. The good ones mostly use olive oil.

Or a burger place: I can eat a burger with no dressing and no fries and that's excellent. Steak is okay too in moderation.

Any tips on ordering or food you like to get when you go out?

Locally I have found a Indian place that cooks rice with ghee. I get kashmiri rice which is a mix of dried fruits, ghee, and basmati rice.
My other go-to foods are, Crablegs with butter, oysters, steak, Scallops (ask to be cooked with butter).
Potatoes au gratin, baked potato, garlic butter mash, or sometimes I get cheese grits
steamed veggies are often available to avoid oils.

And for desert, Creme Brulee.

Don't stress about it and it will go down smooth.

CoolTweetPete

Sushi is a good low PUFA option, depending on the type. Can also be starch free if you enjoy sashimi.

Vietnamese rice noodle soup (pho) often contains gelatinous cuts of meat like tendon & tripe.

I've become a fan of an occasional gluten-free pizza. I'm sure they use some olive oil in the crust, but it's not swimming in PUFA like most restaurant food.

James_001

CoolTweetPete said:
Sushi is a good low PUFA option, depending on the type. Can also be starch free if you enjoy sashimi.

Vietnamese rice noodle soup (pho) often contains gelatinous cuts of meat like tendon & tripe.

I've become a fan of an occasional gluten-free pizza. I'm sure they use some olive oil in the crust, but it's not swimming in PUFA like most restaurant food.

bro, i used to work in a pizza shop and let me tell you there is more then 'alittle' oil in the crust to say the least lol

CoolTweetPete

James_001 said:
post 119380
CoolTweetPete said:

bro, i used to work in a pizza shop and let me tell you there is more then 'alittle' oil in the crust to say the least lol

Really? I probably should have looked it up before assuming it was a low MUFA food.

In your experience do they tend to use olive oil?

Last edited by a moderator:

James_001

CoolTweetPete said:
post 119382
James_001 said:
post 119380
CoolTweetPete said:

Really? I probably should have looked it up before assuming it was a low MUFA food.

In your experience do they tend to use olive oil?

Yeah it is olive oil, but a lot of cheap olive oil is cut with vegetable oil to save money.If it is a higher end pizza shop, it is probably olive oil, but it could be anything at an average place.

tara

extremecheddar said:
post 119343 And for desert, Creme Brulee.
That's what i've picked the last few times. :) Or fruit salad.

OP
ecstatichamster
Cheese cake. Leave the crust.

Baked potato if they have one.

I find Indian Impossible. They use tons of oil. And usually not ghee. Is there a dish that's safe?

milk_lover

Does anybody know if cheesecake from cheesecake factory has butter or PUFA oil? They opened one in a nearby mall and I am addicted to the original cheesecake.

milk_lover

Most italian and french restaurants serve variety of bread with butter. I quite enjoy this combination. Also, you can have grilled burger with no sauce (no cheese also because it might have additives) and tell them no need to put little oil on the top bun, some restaurants do that I don't know why. Also steamed white rice or baked potato with lamb or steak sounds like a viable option. Coke goes well with them. Any grilled meat/seafood is probably a good option. Croissants are generally made with butter, so they might be a good option for breakfast along with eggs and OJ and coffee.

OP
ecstatichamster
milk_lover said:
post 119488 Most italian and french restaurants serve variety of bread with butter. I quite enjoy this combination. Also, you can have grilled burger with no sauce (no cheese also because it might have additives) and tell them no need to put little oil on the top bun, some restaurants do that I don't know why. Also steamed white rice or baked potato with lamb or steak sounds like a viable option. Coke goes well with them. Any grilled meat/seafood is probably a good option. Croissants are generally made with butter, so they might be a good option for breakfast along with eggs and OJ and coffee.

only really good croissants are made with butter. Almost all of them are made with veggie oil unless they are very high quality.

XPlus

I carry my coconut oil to my favorite Thai and Chinese restaurants and then ask the chef to use it for stir frying.

thegiantess

I find restaurants that follow the farm to table philosophy and often they also use traditional cooking fats (but still call and ask!) Otherwise I get gf pizza from a few places. I call and get the brand of gf crust they buy, bc no one makes their own, and look up the ingredients. It's typically a lot of starches and some olive oil. Or Vietnamese restaurants for pho, like another poster mentioned. If you like Thai, any of the coconut curry soup type options should be fine. I live in Saint Louis so BBQ is like everywhere. Typically the proper places don't use oil on the meat itself, just steer clear of most of the sides. Meat, white bread and maybe some pickles. Korean is good too. Although it's Kimchi heavy so if you're not hip to the whole lactic acid thing, maybe not so good. If it's just some regular old American place, stick to grilled meat, or soup or salads with no dressing, bread, butter, poached eggs if it's breakfast, fruit, etc.

answersfound

milk_lover said:
post 119485 Does anybody know if cheesecake from cheesecake factory has butter or PUFA oil? They opened one in a nearby mall and I am addicted to the original cheesecake.

Locust bean gum or carageenan...cheesecake is a big no no

SamuelP

I know of a few local places that don't really use veggie oils. A bar I go to has a window to view the chef in action, and I noticed he melts butter by the pound and uses it in all his cooking. I frequent that bar a lot.

Safe bets at most places are fruit salads, cheese plates, oatmeal,pate, steamed foods, oysters. I would say steak, but I think even the good restaurants like to rub oil over meat in order to give the steak a char. IMO, it is probably better to have steamed fish, rice, and veggies, rather then a pufa laden steak and mashed potatoes.

I think butter is one of the most annoying to wash off of pans...

I wipe it clean with a paper towel once the pan cools down. If I let it sit too long, I need to bust out the rubber gloves.

Yeah... chefs don't have that courtesy though...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals