Good Vitamin E Resources From The Past Being Cancelled: Can We Have a Repository Here?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Yes I agree

The problem with all the vitamin recommendations that are posted on this forum as 'favorites' or in polls is that many of the manufacturers then sold out and the product is/was changed. Perhaps a poll was done by a shill working for the company and wanting good reviews or after the increase in demand due to popularity here and via opinions on sales-sites asking for product reviews is that a company couldnot meet the requests and then sells the company. Thorne K was sold, Twin Labs was sold, A.C.Grace Unique E was good at one time and someplace on this forum someone pasted *something* such as 'like what happened to AC Grace Unique E'. It worked for me for about 4 bottles and then no

Was policasonal some type of wax from sugar cane in Cuba? I never tried it.
I only picked up from haidut in his TocoVit thread that Ray has mentioned that the vitamin E from way back, in his graduate studies days in the lab of Soderwald (I could be wrong on this little bit), perhaps from Sigma Aldrich, was extracted from wheat and that included policosanols. I haven't found any other attribution elsewhere to Vitamin E originally having policosanols though.

There is a thread that centers on policosanols by Mauritio, but it doesn't discuss any connection to Vitamin E. That would at least be a resource on policosanols in itself.

We can glean from that thread that policosanols can be obtained from sugar cane, beeswax, and olives.

The Complete Book of Vitamins / Vintage Hardcover Book by Prevention Magazine 1977
ISBN 0-87857-176-0
The Complete book of vitamins
Author(s): Gerras, Charles
Rodale, J I (Jerome Irving)1898-
Golant, Joseph
Hanna, E John
Title(s):
The Complete book of vitamins / by the staff of Prevention magazine ; compiled and prepared by Charles Gerras, executive editor, Joseph Golant, E. John Hanna, senior editors.
Other Title(s):
Prevention
Country of Publication: United States
Publisher: Emmaus, Pa. : Rodale Press, c1977.
Description: x, 814 p.
Language: English
ISBN:
LCCN: 77-1280
MeSH: Vitamins*
Publication Type(s): Popular Work
Notes: Earlier ed. entered under J. I. Rodale.
NLM ID: 7805959 [Book]
---
It is not easy to access and is shown as a restricted item on archive org
I tried some of the digital scanning and it makes a mess of the type due to sometimes faulty character recognition. So I decided to scan the actual pages as images. After some tests I have the method I will continue to use.
I read halfway of chapter 39, where Wilfrid Shute has a more updated score on his vitamin E journey. I only have a 1 hour rental on internet archive, but I think it's good enough. Another hour rental would give a reader enough time to pick up a lot of material and ideas on vitamin E.

You wouldn't need to scan anymore.

Also, internet archive has a link to a site that sells the book used. I'm tempted to buy it, but have to hold off as I may be moving soon and don't want more baggage.

burtlancast

Archive org doesn't digitally protect it's books, in the sense that as you browse the pages on your screen, all the images from the pages are physically stored in your temporary internet folder of the browser you're using.

Get an off-cache explorer like Cache viewer for Google Chrome Web browser and you'll be able to save those to any other folder , then assemble them in a pdf and run OCR on it, and you'll get an exact copy of the book.

Last edited:

burtlancast

@burtlancast what vitamin E products do you use?

I used to get a dry Vit E product with mixed tocopherols, but the company stopped producing it.

Right now i'm on the lookout for a replacement.

I don't exclude buying pure bulk Vit E without any fillers, like some companies sell, and mix them with my own coconut oil. I need to figure out how long it lasts.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Archive org doesn't digitally protect it's books, in the sense that all the images from the pages are kept in your temporary internet folder of the browser you're using.

Get an off-cache explorer like Cache viewer for Google Chrome Web browser and you'll be able to save those to any other folder , then assemble them in a pdf and run OCR on it, and you'll get an exact copy of the book.
That I didn't know. Thanks!

LA

Already available on the net !

//archive.org/details/vitaminestorymed0000shut
Thank you for the link as that is not the one I have maybe someday if it will be easily available as a lump pdf I will try again. I went over it with Yerrag. The essay I have is from a 1977 publication in a yellow hardback binding. There is an essay by Wilfrid Eugene SHUTE in it and also some other vit E opinions.
Near the end of the 814 page book Rodale/Prevention is a SYMPOSIUM
"The Future Role of Nutrition in Health Care. It contains brief answers to short questions by researchers Irwin Stone, Roger J. Williams, Albert Szent-Gyorrgi, Frederick R. Klenner, Abram Hoffer and Wilfrid E. Shute.

The Internet Archive is doing "Controlled Digital Lending" and I used them in the past when they did not handle information in that manner.

Here are a few links on their current state of affairs:

Makrosky

curious what condition you are using it to treat
None. It is for general well being. I am a bit worried about cardiovascular as years pass since it is the main cause of death so better to start taking care of it asap but it is not that I have any condition. And also, It is one of the few substances that I have never tried on its own. Always in combination with other fat solubles. So this time I will be able to see what does it do on its own.

Makrosky

I used to get a dry Vit E product with mixed tocopherols, but the company stopped producing it.

Right now i'm on the lookout for a replacement.

I don't exclude buying pure bulk Vit E without any fillers, like some companies sell, and mix them with my own coconut oil. I need to figure out how long it lasts.
I see... Why not any of the products yerrag listed?

burtlancast

The Internet Archive is doing "Controlled Digital Lending" and I used them in the past when they did not handle information in that manner.

This is true.

They are doing it now, like they did in the past, for OFFLINE browsing.

I'm talking here about ONLINE browsing: borrow for one hour any book; if you go through all the pages inside this hour, all the images visible on the screen will be stored in your temporary internet folder, where you can retrieve them and reconstitute the book.

Works every time.

Makrosky

This is true.

I'm talking here about ONLINE browsing: borrow for one hour any book; if you go through all the pages inside this hour, all the images visible on the screen will be stored in your temporary internet folder, where you can retrieve them and reconstitute the book.

Works every time.
Didn't know this. Thanks burt.

Then I guess you can select on the file browser all the images, right click, combine as Pdf et... voilà!

burtlancast

Didn't know this. Thanks burt.

Then I guess you can select on the file browser all the images, right click, combine as Pdf et... voilà!
You just have to wait for the image to load in the browser and then click next page, etc...
In 5 minutes ( for a 300 pages book) you have loaded all the pages in your internet cache folder; they will be numbered correctly so you don't even need to rename them.

It's really easy to transform each one in pdf, assemble these individual pdfs, then enter them into ABBY OCR, and voila...

OP
yerrag

yerrag

None. It is for general well being. I am a bit worried about cardiovascular as years pass since it is the main cause of death so better to start taking care of it asap but it is not that I have any condition. And also, It is one of the few substances that I have never tried on its own. Always in combination with other fat solubles. So this time I will be able to see what does it do on its own.
Ray says it's one of the substances that he would have if he has to choose a few. I wouldn't really know until I experienced it, and I did. Although I have to be observant and to follow some markers like a hawk. Even without a CBC or any blood test, as that is much harder to do in Western countries as most blood tests require doctor approval to avail of the insurance, and blood tests are expensive.

Although using it hasn't lowered my blood pressure, I can notice better sleep as I monitor my sleep with an app. Even without the app, I wake up less to pee now, from 4 to 2 a night, and when I urinate, there is much less foaming, which indicates albumin being lost, alsumin being an antioxidant that counters oxidative stress from inflammation and spillover ROS from phagocytosis of bacteria.

At the very least, seeing such visual indicators improve and knowing its significance helps.

I hope you don't have to observe any visual indicators of improved health though, as from a state of health it can be difficult to detect. But it's just good to be in a position of saying you're not taking supplements that end up causing more issues, which is the case with most people with just enough knowledge of health to make them dangerous to themselves.

Still, I hope you can experience improvements and be able to share your experience.

LA

This is true.

Works every time.
Thank you for your input.

Makrosky

Ray says it's one of the substances that he would have if he has to choose a few. I wouldn't really know until I experienced it, and I did. Although I have to be observant and to follow some markers like a hawk. Even without a CBC or any blood test, as that is much harder to do in Western countries as most blood tests require doctor approval to avail of the insurance, and blood tests are expensive.

Although using it hasn't lowered my blood pressure, I can notice better sleep as I monitor my sleep with an app. Even without the app, I wake up less to pee now, from 4 to 2 a night, and when I urinate, there is much less foaming, which indicates albumin being lost, alsumin being an antioxidant that counters oxidative stress from inflammation and spillover ROS from phagocytosis of bacteria.

At the very least, seeing such visual indicators improve and knowing its significance helps.

I hope you don't have to observe any visual indicators of improved health though, as from a state of health it can be difficult to detect. But it's just good to be in a position of saying you're not taking supplements that end up causing more issues, which is the case with most people with just enough knowledge of health to make them dangerous to themselves.

Still, I hope you can experience improvements and be able to share your experience.
Thanks yerrag. No, don't get me wrong, I am in quite bad shape now. By medical standards all is fine, so no officially diagnosed conditions and all blood tests normal according to docs but my metabolism is quite ****88 up. Last 3 years were quite stressful, and specially the last one. There is not much I can do tbh because it is mostly related to things I cannot change now. But experimenting with new substances is always stimulating as in learning and it helps a bit if they work. Preg for instance is as always a lifesaver.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thanks yerrag. No, don't get me wrong, I am in quite bad shape now. By medical standards all is fine, so no officially diagnosed conditions and all blood tests normal according to docs but my metabolism is quite ****88 up. Last 3 years were quite stressful, and specially the last one. There is not much I can do tbh because it is mostly related to things I cannot change now. But experimenting with new substances is always stimulating as in learning and it helps a bit if they work. Preg for instance is as always a lifesaver.

Not that I would encourage anyone to become a hypochondriac, but it's better to see oneself as needing improvement, with a critical eye, than to be floating on an illusion of health, with no recourse but the ER when that bubble is pricked.

For example, I can't imagine one bragging about perfect health when a key marker, the quality of sleep, cannot be achieved.

Last edited:

Dr. B

Not that I would encourage anyone to become a hypochondriac, but it's better to see oneself as needing improvement, with a critical eye, than to be floating on an illusion of health, with no recourse but the ER when that bubble is pricked. F

For example, I can't imagine one bragging about perfect health when a key marker, the quality of sleep, cannot be achieved.
my sleep generally remained deep and well even in poorer health
years ago, I had an issue of waking up in the night to go urinate, trouble staying asleep through the night...
at the time I didnt know much of supplements vitamins etc... but I found pink salt at costco, googled it, saw it seemed really interesting, and started using it, replaced all the regular table salt with the pink salt, maybe replaced iodized salt with pink salt too,
and suddenly it resolved the sleep problem

burtlancast

my sleep generally remained deep and well even in poorer health
years ago, I had an issue of waking up in the night to go urinate, trouble staying asleep through the night...
at the time I didnt know much of supplements vitamins etc... but I found pink salt at costco, googled it, saw it seemed really interesting, and started using it, replaced all the regular table salt with the pink salt, maybe replaced iodized salt with pink salt too,
and suddenly it resolved the sleep problem
You should take a look at the work of french pharmacologist Bernard Fourtillan; he discovered the body was synthesizing from melatonin another hormone which is the actual true sleep hormone: melatonin is just an antioxidant for neurons.

Right now it's not possible to get this true sleep hormone, but one can always supplement with it's precursor, melatonin, and see if the body does it's job of converting it to the real stuff.

LA

You should take a look at the work of french pharmacologist Bernard Fourtillan; he discovered the body was synthesizing from melatonin another hormone which is the actual true sleep hormone: melatonin is just an antioxidant for neurons.

Right now it's not possible to get this true sleep hormone, but one can always supplement with it's precursor, melatonin, and see if the body does it's job of converting it to the real stuff.
In the year 1995 after reading the book, "The Melatonin Miracle" "Nature's Age-Reversing Disease Fighting, Sex-Enhancing Hormone" by Walter Pierpaoli, M.D., Ph.D., and William Regelson, M.D., with Carol Colman I started taking 1.0 mg every night after dark. It is has helped me tremendously. If I forget to take it or if it is too late to take it (after 10pm for me) then the next day is never as happy and alert.

Last edited:

burtlancast

In the year 1995 after reading the book, "The Melatonin Miracle" "Nature's Age-Reversing Disease Fighting, Sex-Enhancing Hormone" by Walter Pierpaoli, M.D., Ph.D., and William Regelson, M.D., with Carol Colman I started taking 1.0 mg every night after dark. It is has helped me tremendously. If I forgot to take it or if it is too late to take it (after 10pm for me) then the next day is never as happy and alert.
Fourtillan surmised those naturally unable to sufficiently synthetise the melatonin and it's derivative (valentonine, the true sleep hormone) were more prone to Alzheimer and Parkinson.

He managed to conduct a clinical trial with 350 old patients with mostly Parkinson and Alzheimer : he provided them with skin patches containing both melatonin and valentonine, then made public 150 direct accounts; it helped tremendously the majority of them, although of course it never cured them.